Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Some Basic Info, Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:40 AM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

Default Some Basic Info, Please!

I'm really trying to justify the extra $10-$15k for a Shelby GT Convertible......but I don't have any dealers close by I can trust or even talk to about the cars without getting hounded about buying one RIGHT NOW! Know what I mean? I need to know some basic information about the cars. Do the used GTH's that are hitting the market now have the same suspension and engine modifications as the 08 Shelby GT's? Do Mustangs (Shelby or not) with the Ford "power pack" throttle body and tune require premium fuel? Were all GTH's automatics?

Thanks in advance!

Hal
Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Some Basic Info, Please!

All the GTH's are AUTOS, But they are tuned with cold air, the suspensions are the same and rear gearing is also the same. They are very nice but you are paying for the name SHELBY, If you look around and also search ebay you can find them at MSRP, but you will have to search! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-01-2008, 04:51 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

they're selling an automatic used2007 Shelby close by me for 27K.... you can find them, it just takes a little searching
Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

too add on too, they require premium, but most people use premium reguardless of which mustang they drive. they have the same suspension and engine mods yes. remember the GT-H you cannot disable TC, where as the SGT its a push ofthe button. i really like that 08 blue convertable (with light bar), i would consider one if i didnt have the coupe already. something annoying with these cars i will tell you right away is the hurst shifter looks cool, but it gets hot and will burn your hand if you touch the metel and it rattles beyond belief. if you buy new, your going to get all orginal paperwork which includes offers to register your CSM and pay 599 and geta signed picture poster with your number and name, signed by the man himself. i doubt you will get that with a used GT H. and one last thing, be careful when buyinga used "rental car". if i rented the GT H, I would beat the **** out of it and not care, as im sure many have with a used one. whatever you choose, im sure you wont be disappointed
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thewheelman

I'm really trying to justify the extra $10-$15k for a Shelby GT Convertible......but I don't have any dealers close by I can trust or even talk to about the cars without getting hounded about buying one RIGHT NOW! Know what I mean? I need to know some basic information about the cars. Do the used GTH's that are hitting the market now have the same suspension and engine modifications as the 08 Shelby GT's? Do Mustangs (Shelby or not) with the Ford "power pack" throttle body and tune require premium fuel? Were all GTH's automatics?

Thanks in advance!

Hal
The GTH is a poor car, it is fast but the setup is significantly dumbed down in the corners and on the track so that it is difficult to crash and cheep to insure for the rental companies.

The shelby GT requires premium fuel but because the original engine was designed to pass mpg tests on normal fuel, it's mpg rating is deceiving. What I mean by that is that the shelby GT has an mpg rating of 16.9 in the city but the mustang gt has a mpg of 17 in the city. However, and this is consistent with what engine manufacturers say, because the Shelby GT runs premium fuel, it actually gets better mpg because of it. According to edmunds.com the real world MPG using the same test drivers during the same time of year as far as I can tell was 16.8 for the normal mustang and 18.5 for the Shelby GT this means the Shelby GT is cheeper to run than a normal GT acording to this, by a reasonable amount actually.

All GTH's were automatics also. The Shelby GT has the best suspention of any mustang including better than the GT500s. To be honest mustangs are taking a huge slump now adays and so are convertibles. I would just make a bunch of offers to a several dealers espetialy on a shelby as dealers are greedy about those thanks to all the old people that watched barret jackson and now lost thousands on their "investment". You could probably get the car for 8k. There's a 1.5k rebate now so it's a great time to get a mustang too.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

OK, here's another question: the Ford Racing Parts site says the "power pack" is standard on the Shelby GT's and GTH's. It comes with a "tuner". Do the Shelby's come with a tuning device like the power pack?
Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

the shelby does not come with a tuner, they pretune it at shelby when they install the parts. if you order the kit, they preload a tune in a little box with a plug and send that. you do not get a tuner in the sense of "sct" or "diablosport"