Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

New tranny already?!?!?! Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

Default New tranny already?!?!?! Please help

I have a question for anyone who can help out there...My gt500 has 5k on it and today the tranny just started acting up...It does not want to shift into 2nd gear without grinding...there is no way i ran through a tranny already...i kno all this is under warranty but do you guys things that the syncros for 2nd are just off? it will engage without grinding when i take it through very low rpms...but other then that it doesnt want to get into 2nd and wont downshift either...and another thing should i take of my steeda short shifter before taking it in ? will this void the warranty as long as i have it on? anything on this would be a help...thanks
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zporta
I have a question for anyone who can help out there...My gt500 has 5k on it and today the tranny just started acting up...It does not want to shift into 2nd gear without grinding...there is no way i ran through a tranny already...i kno all this is under warranty but do you guys things that the syncros for 2nd are just off? it will engage without grinding when i take it through very low rpms...but other then that it doesnt want to get into 2nd and wont downshift either...and another thing should i take of my steeda short shifter before taking it in ? will this void the warranty as long as i have it on? anything on this would be a help...thanks
that sux....as far as the warranty part. Technically it does not VOID your warranty. However they can give you crap and try to pin the shifting issue on the shifter? it depends on your dealer...If it was me, I would switch out the shifter just to be safe...it is a quick enough change out...and will alleviate any headaches the dealer may try and give you
Old 09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Mullens
1st Gear Member

X2...take the shifter off. As cheft says they can't void the entire warranty, but they can deny a claim on a case-by-case basis with minimal evidence that your shifter caused the damage. Then, it's up to you to fight it. Not worth the hassle in my book.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Times that by 3.......
Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
biga1680

Default Here the fix

Hi
There are issues with the GT500 tranny fly wheel and clutch. There is a TSB out on all three years. It is not a recall if you don't have problems you don't get the fix. Sounds like you are having the problems. The TSB is 08-16-4 I'm a memeber of Shelby's forums and if you are a member you can download the file but I can't upload it here
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

+1 on removing the short throw.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

what exactly is the tsb???
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This kinda makes me nervous....considering how hard I've been on mine already...
Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

If I take off hard and spin the wheels I shudder like mad, the dash and car vibrates like mad!! Is that the tranny, clutch, or wheel hop?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

thats just wheel hop, zporta seems to have a synchro problem...

Quick Reply: New tranny already?!?!?! Please help