Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Issues with Whipple on my 08 GT500

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
JJOHNSON

Default Issues with Whipple on my 08 GT500

I have a 2008 GT500 running 24lbs boost on a 3.4l whipple. In february it was 2 months old and a shaft broke in it. I sent it off to whipple and they rebuilt it and sent it back. They refused to pay my labor or shipping bill and said they have no idea what went wrong with it. 3 weeks ago it did it again and was twice as bad. it sounded like marbles in my engine. I had put only 1100 miles on the car since last time. So i sent it to whipple. The shop that works on my car said they definitely need to clean out the cooling system and that there was chunks metal everywhere when they removed the whipple. so they sent the pics to whipple for them to see. once again whipple said they dont know what went wrong but this time are going to send me a brand new supercharger and extend my warranty on it for an extra year. thats great! but when i asked for them to pay for my shipping and labor bill for the cleaning, they told me absolutely not. i was told that this came directly from art whipple, however he would never return my calls or emails. Should i let it go or keep pushing? The bill is for almost 1100 and already had to pay it the first time it broke
Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJOHNSON
I have a 2008 GT500 running 24lbs boost on a 3.4l whipple. In february it was 2 months old and a shaft broke in it. I sent it off to whipple and they rebuilt it and sent it back. They refused to pay my labor or shipping bill and said they have no idea what went wrong with it. 3 weeks ago it did it again and was twice as bad. it sounded like marbles in my engine. I had put only 1100 miles on the car since last time. So i sent it to whipple. The shop that works on my car said they definitely need to clean out the cooling system and that there was chunks metal everywhere when they removed the whipple. so they sent the pics to whipple for them to see. once again whipple said they dont know what went wrong but this time are going to send me a brand new supercharger and extend my warranty on it for an extra year. thats great! but when i asked for them to pay for my shipping and labor bill for the cleaning, they told me absolutely not. i was told that this came directly from art whipple, however he would never return my calls or emails. Should i let it go or keep pushing? The bill is for almost 1100 and already had to pay it the first time it broke
They are going to extend your warranty? It appears thats not worth much.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 PM
JJOHNSON

yes, it comes with a 1 year warranty, and they said they will extend that for an extra year. but i really don't care, i am afraid it won't make it through the 1st year.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

It's almost always impossible to get a manufacturer to pay for damages/labor incurred to other parts of your car when their product goes bad. I think you are prob SOL on that part, sorry man.

I do think that they should pay to have the new whipple shipped out though.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:37 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Sorry to read this but like American said you probably are SOL for anything other then new Whipple parts.....we all take a risk with any motor when we change things with aftermarket parts. I love anything Whipple and they are a great company but if I were Art I would look further into the problem.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJOHNSON
I have a 2008 GT500 running 24lbs boost on a 3.4l whipple.
that sucks man, on the one hand we take a risk as consumers and push our luck, on the other hand good companies go out of the way for the customer and that's how they get repeat customers. even if they met in the middle and paid shipping that would say a lot for them as a company.

FWIW when Kenne Bell tested their 2.8L blower vs the 3.4L blower and their test 3.4L blower grenade'd at 23 PSI. they said the rotors deflected and hit the inside of the case their tests on their supercharger dyno suggest the safe limit is 21 PSI on that blower. just because this is the second time around for you it could just be that you're over spinning the blower a little like their tests also found. if whipple says that you can run the amount of boost you're running then they need to replace the blower, but if the limit is less than what you're running you're kinda stuck and it might happen again.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...H_vs_33_34.pdf
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

were you racing at the time?
how hard are you pushing it and how often?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What's fine print of the warranty state? Most that aftermarket parts that have a warranty specifically state they do NOT cover labor costs incurred during removal of the warranty parts. Most Auto parts suppliers are like this with lifetime warrantied things like starters, brake pads, alternators, etc.

I don't think whipple is an exception. I tried looking on their website for warranty terms but the only thing they state is a 1 year warranty.

I worked autoparts for nearly 10 years and that's teh one thing that people always overlooked. They took the "lifetime" warranty to mean either a) the part will never wear out or b) it covers the cost of the parts R&R of the parts (labor). Neither assumption is correct.

Last edited by Derf00; 11-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I was just looking on their site and they advertise that you can run up to 30 psi. to me as long as you're running less than 30psi they should be responsible for the repairs, just my thoughts.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree 100% ^^^^^ the article you supplied seems to me that the compressor is no good over 23 psi and the rotors in the compressor are heating up and then hitting the casing of the compressor causing failure....

OP - runs less boost until you can run the S/C/motor cooler either by upgrading the inter cooler or running meth for the cooling effect or the Killer chiller that Lethal performance (site sponsor)

It seems to me that running the S/C at that amt of boost and spinning the compressor that fast is causing the part (compressor) to fail.......so if it cannot be cooled better at that psi then run less until you can cool the compressor better.....makes sense to me.

and yes Whipple should replace everything (parts) but I still doubt they will pay for the clean up each time and shipping to them.

Last edited by mygt500; 11-03-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Issues with Whipple on my 08 GT500