Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

performance boost from GT cams?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Question performance boost from GT cams?

What kind of performance boost could a person expect from the FORD GT cams (pn: M-6550-GT) in a GT500?

I know a cam swap in a popular mod for the 4.6L, but with it costing upwards of $1000 for cams + install (not to include a tune), is it a good bang for the buck? And how does it compare to the stock drivability?

Haven't heard of anyone swapping them in the GT500. Only heard of people getting custom grinds.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:42 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Good timing on this post!!

I am currently planning my upgrades for the winter, and a buddy of mine, who owns Torq Racing (former master tuner for Steeda) told me that i should be doing these cams.

I am planning on a whipple 2.9l, exhaust, and a few other goodies.

The cams, they are good for about 40-50hp, throughout the entire power band.
When I asked about teh driveability, he swore that it is hardly different, and most people cant feel a difference in driveability, however the idle is higher, but still good for daily driving.

But from what hes been telling me, the noise is AMAZING!

the install is a complete b*ch to do though. Motor needs to come out apparently.
Havent really looked into the cam install myself, but he charges 24hrs of labour to drop them out, and install the four cams.

and hes going to charge abour $1350 for the set of cams.

If I get any more info, i'll pass it on!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:19 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info man...you'll have to let me know how they work out! I am definately planning on doing the whipple 2.9L myself, just working on getting the business off the ground first. Looking at doing some of the smaller supporting mods first... L&M TB, cams?, control arms...and a few other, cheaper (than the s/c) goodies...

BTW...Lethal Performance has the cams for 519.95.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Why does the engine need to come out for cams? I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
07 naja

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Why does the engine need to come out for cams? I've never heard of such a thing.
I was told by two very reputable shops here in Orlando that the only way they would change the cams out was to drop the engine. Apparently ,to properly degree in the cams the engine needs to be out.With the cost/benefit ratio, ($1800-$2000/50 HP), i opted to add a few bucks to it and get the Whipple 3.4 and i'm so glad i did.

Vic
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

well if it's looking at costing that much...maybe this will be a mod that I save for when I strenthen the bottom end. Want to eventually prep the engine for 1200RWHP or so...and might as well wait to do this when the engine is out and apart anyway.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't see why they can't just hold the timing chain in place while swapping the cams. That's what we do for the 4.6. As long as the timing chain does not move you won't need to re-time.

That does seem like a lot for 50 hp, but with cams it's not about peak HP gains. It's about area under the curve and extending your powerband. If those improve, then that's what's important, not peak HP.

I have no idea how the Ford GT cams affect that on the GT500 though so I can't say for sure if it would be worth it.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Ford GT Cams don't cost anywhere near $1,300.00 to buy. Those must be custom grinds, springs the works from comp cams. I think FRPP sells them for around $500.00. You can Change the cams in the car but it's a royal bitch. Make life better for yourself and drop the motor out. The "Stock" Ford GT cams don't have to be degreed but to get the best out of them you should. It's not easy to do.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mobydick
You can Change the cams in the car but it's a royal bitch. Make life better for yourself and drop the motor out.
Exactly.. A reputable shop would much rather do the job with the engine out of the car on an engine stand then in the car. Dropping a motor for them is a breeze compared to leaning over fenders for that long.

Jared
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
What kind of performance boost could a person expect from the FORD GT cams (pn: M-6550-GT) in a GT500?

I know a cam swap in a popular mod for the 4.6L, but with it costing upwards of $1000 for cams + install (not to include a tune), is it a good bang for the buck? And how does it compare to the stock drivability?

Haven't heard of anyone swapping them in the GT500. Only heard of people getting custom grinds.
Adam,
Hope you had a Happy New Year. In regards to the cams I personally wouldn't do them unless you're going to be building the motor. It's a costly modification to do by itself. Now if you're taking the motor out of the car to build with better pistons/rods and will be porting the heads then the cams would be a no brainer. But the cams alone I'd say isn't that great of an approach. Put a 2.9L on the car and when you're ready to build it then do the cams.

Jared