Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Lifter583
Bummer! Damn copyright laws!
Consolation prize...
Here's her sister, with no bra!

To go back on topic and being a little more serious guys, I drove to Eureka Spring (AK) last March and during that trip, I got 2 big chips on the car.
One on the hood front edge and one on the bumper.
I was dumb enough to drive without any protection on my front end.
So I paid for that mistake...
On highway miles, it will happen.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Her sister a party girl I see!!

Honestly we buy a beautiful car and baby it...why not put the film on it!! Best money I ever spent on my cars. It is amazing how many little hits I see on the film after I drive it...just a spray of detailer...wipe and they are gone...The Black 08 GT 500 with 558 miles I just got... didnt move until I filmed it...went just above the vents... every inch of the front and half way around the fenders.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

best thing about the bra is once it gets messed up you get a new one and your paint is fine. (was that too obvious? it seemed to obvious...)
Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I just realized...
With the price of that bra, I can repaint a bumper almost twice.
In what concept is this making sense?
Is the bra material a whole lot stronger or does it get chipped as well?
I can see doing a little strip on the very edge of our hood, because repainting a hood is about $500.
But I'd leave the bumper alone if the bra can get damaged as well...
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

The installer showed me a video of him shooting a 12 ga. shotgun at 30yds (1-1/8 oz target loads I am sure) into a plywood sheet with the film in it...just bounced off...wiped it down and good as new...I will never have to worry about my car being gone for repainting...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

The film is actually pretty durable....will it survive a crash, probably not, but it'll definitely withstand the rocks and pebbles that the vehicles driving in front of you are going to throw at it..which is definitely worth the money you'll save when it comes time to repaint things (sorry Pascal)
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

Yeah my front bumper is messed up and it's gonna cost me around 500 dollars to fix it. They tell me that after i fix it i should just buy a clear bra for 400 and not to worry about it again...
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
Yeah my front bumper is messed up and it's gonna cost me around 500 dollars to fix it. They tell me that after i fix it i should just buy a clear bra for 400 and not to worry about it again...
It cost me $500 to repair and paint the nose on my 2005 Mustang GT from love bug damage / highway damage (chips and such) so when i bought the 2010 I just took it down and had $480 worth the clear bra installed.... Pay it now or pay it later but you'll pay it sooner later....

Last edited by wilkinda; 04-22-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

My vehicles have either had the black bra or the clear bra for protection. (I've purchased way more black bras than any woman...)

The black bra is a pain-in-the-butt to maintain. It needs to come off and both sides cleaned each time.

The clear bra is a fine solution, but eventually it gets so sandblasted that it needs to come off.

When I pulled it off my MB, it was a pain to remove. It left some adhesive that I removed w/ mineral spirits.

The paint under the bra looked new and outside had sandblast damage.

The headlights looked brand new, except for the tiny exposed edge around the perimeter.

There are companies that cover the whole surface. That is a much better way to go because I'd like my whole hood to be protected. same for my fenders.

When I've had my vehicles protected I also covered the metal behind the rear wheels, the door edges, the door handle pockets, the headlights, the fog lights and under the gas cap.

My concern would be applying this clear tape over the vehicle tape stripes.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
MARZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wingless
My vehicles have either had the black bra or the clear bra for protection. (I've purchased way more black bras than any woman...)

The black bra is a pain-in-the-butt to maintain. It needs to come off and both sides cleaned each time.

The clear bra is a fine solution, but eventually it gets so sandblasted that it needs to come off.

When I pulled it off my MB, it was a pain to remove. It left some adhesive that I removed w/ mineral spirits.

The paint under the bra looked new and outside had sandblast damage.

The headlights looked brand new, except for the tiny exposed edge around the perimeter.

There are companies that cover the whole surface. That is a much better way to go because I'd like my whole hood to be protected. same for my fenders.

When I've had my vehicles protected I also covered the metal behind the rear wheels, the door edges, the door handle pockets, the headlights, the fog lights and under the gas cap.

My concern would be applying this clear tape over the vehicle tape stripes.
That was pretty much the question I had. Sure, the clear bra looks great when it's brand new, but how does it look after 5-6 years?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra