Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Mine looks great still Car has 18k miles on it. lots of highway driving. Only mark on the car is where a rock missed the clear bra and hit the power-dome hood......
Old 04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
That was pretty much the question I had. Sure, the clear bra looks great when it's brand new, but how does it look after 5-6 years?
Mine was done @ 120K miles and 3½ years.

The wife has 6 yrs and 50K miles and hers looks fine.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

This image shows my fog lamp film after it spent 120K miles over 3½ years keeping my fog lamp like-new from year-round New England sandblasting abuse.

This image shows the behind-wheel coverage that was applied to protect my MB.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 PM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
Mine looks great still Car has 18k miles on it. lots of highway driving. Only mark on the car is where a rock missed the clear bra and hit the power-dome hood......
That's why I like when the just cover the whole area.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
IGOTGAS

Default clear bra

I'm having my hood repainted now for about $600, bumpers would be even more. I could see how this would save you money, but I have a dumb question...

I imagine you can't apply over a waxed surface, but can you wax the whole car over this? Do you have to avoid these areas when waxing? Do you feel since this material is softer that it looks better after getting hit with junk than your bare care would? Meaning this stuff "bounces back" instead of chipping and having permanent damage like paint/clearcoat would?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IGOTGAS
I'm having my hood repainted now for about $600, bumpers would be even more. I could see how this would save you money, but I have a dumb question...

I imagine you can't apply over a waxed surface, but can you wax the whole car over this? Do you have to avoid these areas when waxing? Do you feel since this material is softer that it looks better after getting hit with junk than your bare care would? Meaning this stuff "bounces back" instead of chipping and having permanent damage like paint/clearcoat would?
If you're considering installing over a newly painted area, you should talk to your painter first. After painting my 2005 front clip, my painter told me to wait at least 90 days to ensure proper curing of everything.

For me, my clear bra installer wanted a freshly waxed surface to apply everything on. As far as waxing now, I was instructed to only use turtle wax ice because the clear bra has very small pores in it that allows it to breath. If you use a paste wax, this will fill in the pores and cause the bra to turn yellow. Plus, by applying turtle wax ice after each wash, it keeps the bra nice and slick, which keeps bugs and debris from really sticking to it. Only takes an additional 15 minutes, but well worth it.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
wingless
2nd Gear Member

Why the bra usage out of the salt belt?

The leading edge of northern cars are sandblasted from December through July, when they finally sweep the roads.

What's up down south?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by wingless
Why the bra usage out of the salt belt?

The leading edge of northern cars are sandblasted from December through July, when they finally sweep the roads.

What's up down south?
Where I live and along the Gulf Coast region we have these little flying bugs that come out twice a year that are called "Love Bugs". They swarm during mating season. Thousands upon thousands....their blood is also caustic and once they splatter on your car their blood will literally start eating into the paint of a metal part within a day or so, if it's plastic and you don't get them off in about 24 - 32 hours...forget it, looks like a nice rock ding....
Old 04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

The guys who installed mine said to treat it like paint...I wax it (Meguires 2.0 tech wax)..spray detailer on it before each time out...everything I do to the paint I go right over the film...I have had it on my GT now for 4 yrs and it is as clear as the day it was put on...and I have found it gets glossier with time and the treatment I give it...So my Shelby is getting the same treatment...

Last edited by Lifter583; 04-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:54 PM
kdv08gt

My '08 Shelby GT Convertible I just bought, had it on it already. It's noticeable when you're looking at the front of the car from the side, but not so much head on. I think it was a good idea, especially since I live in the northeast and they sand the roads up here.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra