Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

CAI and Tune in CA

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM
troyoda

Default CAI and Tune in CA

I’m a newbie here after just picking up a 2007 GT500 last week. It only had 2,800 miles and I just couldn’t pass it up. My mods will come in stages since I can’t to do them all in swoop. Based on past experiences with Ford trucks one of the best HP gains for your buck is swapping out the CAI and tune. After looking at this site it appears that the JLT/SCT package is one of the better products. I have a couple of questions. Is this JLT/SCT Lethal Performance Tune CARB approved (i.e. will it pass a smog test in California)? I’m planning to swap out the pulleys and exhaust next year. Will the same tune handle other mods that I do later?

Thanks for your help…
Old 03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
etnoats
1st Gear Member

You probably need to ask them directly. Alot of custom tunes turn off certain functions to make the processor run faster. The tuner itself should have a tune in it that will pass, but you will probably have to reinstall the stock airbox. This is how I will handle my 05 when it gets smogged. Keep the stock box in the trunk when I take it in, if the station says something, only takes 20 minutes to swap it out. Im using a predator and it has five or six tunes plus my custom tunes from bamachips.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

i believe only the steeda intakes are CARB legal.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

The only 07/09 GT500 CAI that I know of which is CARB approved is the Ford Racing CAI with their Procal tune. The calibration is more conservative than other aftermarket tunes, but it nets 40HP at the flywheel. If you desire more performance, you can always purchase an aftermarket tune for the FR Procal CAI from VMP Tuning then return the FR tune when you need to take it in for a smog test. Note the Procal tune will not accommodate a pulley swap. Even with the VMP tune, you'll need a new calibration to accommodate a smaller pulley.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9880

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=163&parent=88

There are more options for CARB approved products if you elect to swap out the supercharger.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 03-06-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM
troyoda

Hat tip to 6-Speed…that’s probably the best way forward for me. I did some online research and it looks like that’s the only one that’s CARB approved. Steeda might be for the GT but it’s not for the GT500. Go figure. The only other option is to do a CAI swap and reset back to the stock tune before the next smock check is due. But they are now doing random visual engine checks in our area so that could yield a fix-it ticket at best. And possibly other stuff at worse. I guess the “extra” 40 hp just isn’t worth it to me.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

I thought it was worth the swap.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:44 PM
troyoda

Sorry 6-Speed I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m defiantly going with the Ford Racing/Procal setup. I was trying to say that going with another kit (i.e. like JLT/SCT package) to get another 40-50 hp over the Ford/Procal setup just isn’t worth the hassle.

Looks nice...
Old 03-07-2010, 12:59 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Then you might be interested in these threads to get a preview of the installation and setup.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...g-cai-kit.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rogrammer.html

Last edited by 6-Speed; 03-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Since your car is S/C I would take it to a tuner. ST motorsports is one of the best tuners in So.Cal. http://www.spankintime.com/
Old 03-29-2010, 09:03 AM
troyoda

Installed the Ford Racing CAI and Performance Tune on Friday. It was very straightforward and pretty easy overall (thanks for the pics 6-Speed). Took a couple short drives over the weekend and the engine seems peppier and more free-revving. Supercharger whine is now VERY pronounced. This mod is defiantly worth the time and expense for those looking for a little more performance and still remain CARB approved.

Quick Reply: CAI and Tune in CA