Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

TSB 10-3-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default TSB 10-3-8

I thought this transmission problem only affected the 2007 and early 2008 cars?

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/show...6400#post66400

The newest TSB indicates even the 2009 cars can be affected by this problem. Am I misunderstanding that?
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I believe you've read it right.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Is the fix covered under the drivetrain 5/50 warranty or not? I can't seem to find a straight answer on that.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

A lot of the problem with the clutches is people dont use this clutch type properly in traffic. They slip and ride them way too much,(they are a performance clutch) which quickly heats them up and causes warping. Then the clutch wont completely disengage, causing pressure on the tanny,then knocking out the syncros...and the clutch is covered only under the 3 yr warranty.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't deny that driving style could be making the problem worse. However the existence of a TSB implies that at least some of this is due to a design issue.

I have never driven a performance clutch before but I do know what to expect. And I never, EVER, ride the clutch. It is completely out even when I am at a stoplight.

Bummer they won't cover this under the 5/50. Seems like it's part of the drivetrain so why wouldn't they? Stupid.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

You are correct Rip...My 500 now has 2000 miles and the clutch is perfect so far...but I drive it like it was intended...in and out fast...out of gear when idling at anytime. I really dont think I will have a problem with the TSB...most warping is caused when it is new and not tempered to the heat. My 06 GT showed up with a bad clutch right off the truck...I felt it the first time I put it in gear...they smoked it when slipping it loading it on the truck...warranty replaced it at 1200 miles.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Not too impressed with the requirement to reflash the PCM.... "Sorry sir, your custom tune is long gone and we changed the ID of the computer so your handheld tuner can't talk to it anymore... Have a nice day"
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by marcuskeeler
Not too impressed with the requirement to reflash the PCM.... "Sorry sir, your custom tune is long gone and we changed the ID of the computer so your handheld tuner can't talk to it anymore... Have a nice day"
Just tell them not to...The ford guys here know I have it tuned and that I will kill them if they do anything without asking!
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Some of us owners know how to use our clutches just fine yet still had the tsb repair done to fix a known design flaw ... In fact many are grateful to former svt expert who worked with a speed shop tech in Florida to recognize this problem and start the process to work with ford and devise a solution..i personally love the way my clutch acts and performs since I had the repair done almost a year ago..they did not reflash my PCM when they did mine per my request..but to state that this happens because drivers don't know how to use the clutch right is a pretty misleading statement that plenty of drivers who had this happen to them would challenge that statement
Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

I will agree that a very small amount is possibly user error but the larger issue is the design flaw with the Pre-TSB flywheel. My 2007 GT500, with a little over 46k miles, has the original clutch and flywheel and does not have any of the issues at this time (it does hiss when you first take off but that is normal due to the 2 piece clutch design and materials they are made of). Does this mean i will not have the issues down the road.... no it doesnt, because like i said there is definitely an issue with the Pre-TSB flywheel warping, that then can cause issues with the clutch and synchros. But i honestly would not and i obviously did not let this known issue effect my decision on buying my car. I do know that i will eventually get rid of this clutch for an aftermarket one due to the power and track goals that i have. I am happy i bought this car and enjoy every minute i get to drive it.

As far as the warrant goes, my Ford dealer told me i was covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles on the powertrain warranty.... And yes the new TSB is for GT500s produced all the way up to sometime i believe in the middle of August 2009..

Last edited by moburto07GT; 04-02-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: TSB 10-3-8