Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Turning a base 2010 GT into a 2010 GT500. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:54 AM
lexustech48
1st Gear Member

Its my understanding that some of the fastest mustangs at a track have run a twin turbo setup. Doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about what you boost with!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-makeover.html

Here you go man. Check out this thread and maybe PM the guy who made the post to find out where he got the parts and how much they cost him.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM
mobydick
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by beastofblood
Thanks for the reply Mobydick! What exactly do you mean when you say 3V? Im not familiar with that verbage.

Also, i know the difference between a Turbo and a Supercharger, but isint it frowned upon to have a turbo in a muscle? I know a turbo is quicker of the start, but is it "better" than a supercharger? *noob question* but id appreciate a response and or viewpoint!

Thank you
A 5.4 3Valve Truck motor. Vs a 4.6 3V mustang/car motor.

Turbos are not quicker off the start. They actually produce less Tq and Hp at lower RPM then Blowers. That's why you see a lot in the smaller tire Drag racing. Huge Tq makes it hard to get traction. The turbos start making their power on the big end. Better, it all depends on what your goal is for the car. Some of the really fast GT500s have both.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM
rkaiser

Default I have a gt500 OEM take-0ff hood and some other parts if you need them

I have an extra 2010 GT500 hood, and a number of other parts. I can ship commercial pretty cheap too.

IMO, Based on the "called out" video, if the kid with the GTO was talking smack, then he deserved to be called out, however, the other guy was a bully plain and simple. I am a Mustang Enthusiast, and have owned many mustangs (cobra's, saleens, GTs). Everyone chooses to spend money differently and if it makes you happy, then go for it.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mobydick
I've read some of the post on this thread. The amount of money you will spend to make the 4.6 3V get 485 pony’s at the rear wheels is obscene compared to just buying a GT500. The stock mill will not hold up to at 540hp on the street. Even a 4.6 4V that would last, would set you back to the point of a real 5.4 $16,000 FRPP engine would cost.

What I would do if I were you would build a built 5.4 3V TT car. It would cost less and be very fast.

Here’s a Video of me being out run by one. You have to consider though the black car is at its limit. Where as, I still have 250 more relatively cheap bolt on pony’s to acquire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi9iOKwHdUM

I don;t thnk it woudl be cheaper to put in a GT500 long block, you woudl also need the tranny and the comptuer not to mention any wiring hcanges that would need to be done.

As new as your 10 is if you wanted GT500 levels of performance you could either have a forged rotating assembly puy in or go with a new Ford racing aluminator short block, whcih last i looked went for $3200. It woudl probably cost you that much again to get the thing installed in your ride. The upsid eis you coudl sell your old short block and recoup some of the loot. After that a procharger or a whipple and you coudl make way more power than a stock gt500 if thats what you want. That said, traction will be an issue.

IMHO, keep your power goals at 450whp or so and run on the stock block. I dont know of a blower out there that wont get you to that level with soem tuning and a pulley. That is a lot of power for the street and you shoudl be able to hook decently on street tires at that level with a decent suspension and tires. I know a local guy with a gt500 with 700whp but he gets such bad traction he gets beat by cars with less power because he doens't run slicks or DRs. Anyway point being going form a stock 10 GT to a blown 10 GT at teh warranty approved roush boost levels is an increadible leap in performance. I think mos tof us start out wanting 1000whp lol, then we realzie real world traction is an issue and start working in the realm of what we can live with on a daily basis.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM
07 naja

Originally Posted by ShaneM
I don;t thnk it woudl be cheaper to put in a GT500 long block, you woudl also need the tranny and the comptuer not to mention any wiring hcanges that would need to be done.

As new as your 10 is if you wanted GT500 levels of performance you could either have a forged rotating assembly puy in or go with a new Ford racing aluminator short block, whcih last i looked went for $3200. It woudl probably cost you that much again to get the thing installed in your ride. The upsid eis you coudl sell your old short block and recoup some of the loot. After that a procharger or a whipple and you coudl make way more power than a stock gt500 if thats what you want. That said, traction will be an issue.

IMHO, keep your power goals at 450whp or so and run on the stock block. I dont know of a blower out there that wont get you to that level with soem tuning and a pulley. That is a lot of power for the street and you shoudl be able to hook decently on street tires at that level with a decent suspension and tires. I know a local guy with a gt500 with 700whp but he gets such bad traction he gets beat by cars with less power because he doens't run slicks or DRs. Anyway point being going form a stock 10 GT to a blown 10 GT at teh warranty approved roush boost levels is an increadible leap in performance. I think mos tof us start out wanting 1000whp lol, then we realzie real world traction is an issue and start working in the realm of what we can live with on a daily basis.
Well said !
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

To the OP good luck with your build.... I wish I had some helpful info for your conversion but unfortunately not familiar with 10 and up conversions... As far as some of te hate spewing on here... I just gotta say really?!?!? We still attack people who want to mod their cars to look and run the way they want??? Wow... Amazing... As someone who converted his 05 gt many years ago to look like MY rendition of a modern day Shelby gt350 I say go for it... It does not make you a poser or dishonest in any way...now if you try and sell your car as the real deal well then that is wrong but anyone would be able to do a vin search and prove anyhow.. As you do your build just note you will get many haters who will attack and rally against you... Just grow a thick skin and do your thing with your ride just try not to lower yourself to their level and say how your gt will be faster than their gt500 etc because that's like peeing in the wind... Because then you will get a few gt500 owners rallied as well... But seriously good luck with your build and make sure you post progress pics as it comes togethr
Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 PM
thewheelman
2nd Gear Member

Matters not how fast or how powerful your Mustang GT is, it is not and never will be a GT 500. Why fake it with tacked on body work and emblems? Build you a warhorse GT and enjoy it and be proud of it. OR save your pennies and dimes like some of us did and buy the real thing.....
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by quorum
People who mod cars don't mod Shelbys. Why pay $50k for a car just to rip stuff out? On the other hand the Mustang GT is a perfect platform to mod. So your car has to look exactly like a Shelby otherwise you're going to invite suspicion. Especially if you don't have a 5.4L with someone's initials on it.
I'd like to point out this post, because I found this particular line absolutely hilarious. I literally almost fell out of my chair laughing.

You do realize there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to the modification of Shelby products, right?

Shelby's aren't rare, exclusive, or even very expensive. People can and will be modding them forever. Unless you own one of the handful of Super Snake's, you have a Mustang GT with a blower, a few suspension modifications and a big, fat, inflated price tag. Get over yourself.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewheelman
Matters not how fast or how powerful your Mustang GT is, it is not and never will be a GT 500. Why fake it with tacked on body work and emblems? Build you a warhorse GT and enjoy it and be proud of it. OR save your pennies and dimes like some of us did and buy the real thing.....
It seems those that are full of themselves are coming out of the woodwork today.

It is a common modification amongst all generations of Mustangs to go with the Cobra/Cobra R/GT500 body work. Why? Because it's a factory replacement, and it looks good.

Why go with an aftermarket bumper, which requires painting, might not fit correctly, and all the other problems associated with them? Going so far as putting the Cobra emblem on, I agree is a bit tacky, but still, it's his car. He can do whatever he wants with it!

Again, spending $50-60k on a GT500 seems silly in some peoples eyes, when it is much, much cheaper to modify a regular GT to the same, or higher, power levels.

Quick Reply: Turning a base 2010 GT into a 2010 GT500. Help!