Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Got my GT500 today!! Now a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

Nice car enjoy it, I like the color combo nice choice!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
NJGT

I got my 2011 GT500 about 2 months ago and thought the shifter was notchy. All of a sudden at about 500 miles everything seemed to find a home and the shifting improved dramtically. Give it a chance to wear in a little and I think you'll be pleased

Last edited by NJGT; 07-14-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Congrats!!!!
I REALLY dig that color combination too!

Just drive normal. You will get used to it in no time.
Be careful with the power if you are not used to it.
These things can get away from you EASY and in a blink of an eye.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Nice.

Ask your dealer about the TSB on the shifting. It deals with a fluid change that smooths things out.

I have a Droid X that fits in a really trick windshield mount. I put it in the center of the dash with an App running that has a big digital speed readout and speed alarm. I use this because I got a speeding ticket within 10 hours of picking up my car. Absent that, The My Key feature will let you set speed alarms, but you may not hear it over the stereo or the exhaust sounds.

If you think about Sport Mode, turn it on! When your too busy to worry about it, you will stay out of trouble.

As for the clutch, Practice, Practice, Practice!

Lastly, you have one of the most engineered packages available in a Mustang. Resist temptation to modify it. Roush has said the stock intake easily supports their supercharger, so there isn't a lot of point in a Cold Air Kit. The springs, shocks and sway bars were all matched to work together. It's just hard to make much improvement on what you have and with a GT500, your best resale will be with a virgin car. Just leave it be and DRIVE it.

Have fun!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Nice.

Ask your dealer about the TSB on the shifting. It deals with a fluid change that smooths things out.

I have a Droid X that fits in a really trick windshield mount. I put it in the center of the dash with an App running that has a big digital speed readout and speed alarm. I use this because I got a speeding ticket within 10 hours of picking up my car. Absent that, The My Key feature will let you set speed alarms, but you may not hear it over the stereo or the exhaust sounds.

If you think about Sport Mode, turn it on! When your too busy to worry about it, you will stay out of trouble.

As for the clutch, Practice, Practice, Practice!

Lastly, you have one of the most engineered packages available in a Mustang. Resist temptation to modify it. Roush has said the stock intake easily supports their supercharger, so there isn't a lot of point in a Cold Air Kit. The springs, shocks and sway bars were all matched to work together. It's just hard to make much improvement on what you have and with a GT500, your best resale will be with a virgin car. Just leave it be and DRIVE it.

Have fun!
All good advice. I did go ahead and get a ford racing resonator eliminator for the intake. I think it looks much better, and a bit lighter (not to mention more air!).

Forgive me, but what is "TSB" ? Speaking of fluid changes, what about oil? The "book" says 5w50. But I see many people doing other weights. What is optimal? I live in Oklahoma. I do not think Royal Purple has a 5/50...so what does that say?

And unfortunately I've run into the dreaded 1-2 shift grind. It really sucks. I know I had the clutch down all the way. Any news on possible fixes for this?

Last edited by Corepuncher; 07-15-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

TSB = technical service bulletin

Stick with the oil recommendations in your owner's manual. You don't get so much more protection from fancy lubricants. They have benefits in a race enviroment or where you put your vehicle to extremes, but regular driving is delt with quite well by the standard stuff. Ford wouldn't send them out without adequate lubrication, so stick with what it was delivered with. If anything, change fluids more often than the service schedule states.
My book says oil changes at 7000 miles (more by oil life indicator on the dash). I'm going with the 5000 mile interval. Once I cross 50k, I might go to 3000 mile intervals.

Your car came with a supplement that should spell out your needs.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Great looking car!! Welcome to the Snake world!!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Roush has said the stock intake easily supports their supercharger, so there isn't a lot of point in a Cold Air Kit.
Have fun!
ROUSH? Am I missing something here?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

congrats!!! Beautiful car....
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Congrats! Best color combo but I am biased lol

Quick Reply: Got my GT500 today!! Now a couple questions...