Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Got my GT500 today!! Now a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Nobody can give me input on why he quoted ROUSH about the stock intake with this guy's car being a GT500?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Nobody can give me input on why he quoted ROUSH about the stock intake with this guy's car being a GT500?
Wow! Take a deep breath. Send me a PM if you're in a hurry.

Roush uses the Ford air box on their supercharger, same air box as the GT500.

There is always room to improve the intake pipe, and that is the chief improvemen on a CAI kit. The air box and filter flows enough to support the supercharged Roush. The specifically said it wasn't necessary to change it. I read that to mean that any car to that HP level will breathe just fine through the stock cold air intake. My V6 has the exact same box with a different top on it, using the same filter. The only gains I get from a CAI are the increased size of the MAF housing and a pipe that isn't full of resonator plumbing. I shared that because everyone thinks a CAI is a must have. I just don't see it that way. A GT500 is a car that will appreciate in value if left stock. It will depreciate if a bunch of aftermarket parts are installed. You could always save the OE parts and put them back on, but it wouldn't equate to a car that was untampered with.

Let the debate begin. That is where you're headed, right?
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Corepuncher
1st Gear Member

Just got my stereo installed today. They built a custom box in the trunk, basically my sub takes up the back end of the trunk, directly beneath the rear shelf. Fold down the back seats, and there are my amps, cap, and cleansweep. The car sounds tight as hell. One thing though, given how air tight these cars are, you have to roll the windows down to get a lot of bass :-) But I like mine more tight anyway.

I went with JL C5-570X two ways in doors, C2's in rear, JL 100X4 amp to push 'em. For low end I kept my existing Diamond 12" sub and a Memphis 1000 watt amp pushing it. I got a JL Cleansweep to process the stock signal (kept original headunit, MUCH easier that way). Left the 8"s in the door, with only stock signal going to them (not much, but it's at least some). I might consider adding shallow mount 8"s in the future, but without an enclosure inside door, they might not hit that hard anyway. Overall, I think it sounds great! I can turn it up to 75% with no distortion...but, my ears can literally only handle 50-60% max. Oh yeah, the guy also did some raised lettering on the rear sub "fascia", says "GT" on left side and "500" on the right. Subtle, but nice touch.

Now, I can negate the weight of my subwoofer magnet by simply getting a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft :-)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by scottybaccus

There is always room to improve the intake pipe, and that is the chief improvemen on a CAI kit. The air box and filter flows enough to support the supercharged Roush. The specifically said it wasn't necessary to change it. I read that to mean that any car to that HP level will breathe just fine through the stock cold air intake. My V6 has the exact same box with a different top on it, using the same filter. The only gains I get from a CAI are the increased size of the MAF housing and a pipe that isn't full of resonator plumbing. I shared that because everyone thinks a CAI is a must have. I just don't see it that way. A GT500 is a car that will appreciate in value if left stock. It will depreciate if a bunch of aftermarket parts are installed. You could always save the OE parts and put them back on, but it wouldn't equate to a car that was untampered with.

Cool! I knew there was an answer and some sort of connection and it was killing me lol!
That is why I am decided after considering mods to stay as close to stock as possible.
I believe the only mods I will do is wheels (while I will keep the original ones on hand), and installation of some Shelby hood pins probably.
I agree about your comments about appreciation and depreciation. If the GT500 becomes a real collectible like many believe it will, the original ones will keep their
value MUCH more. I know a guy that has done a pulley swap, tune, and some other mods and I need to ask him if he kept the stock parts for later. Hope he did.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-16-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Corepuncher
All good advice. I did go ahead and get a ford racing resonator eliminator for the intake. I think it looks much better, and a bit lighter (not to mention more air!).

Forgive me, but what is "TSB" ? Speaking of fluid changes, what about oil? The "book" says 5w50. But I see many people doing other weights. What is optimal? I live in Oklahoma. I do not think Royal Purple has a 5/50...so what does that say?

And unfortunately I've run into the dreaded 1-2 shift grind. It really sucks. I know I had the clutch down all the way. Any news on possible fixes for this?
I run full syn Schaeffer Oil 5-50 with an Amsoil filter...

I have found on my 08... that I dont get the little 1-2 shift grind if I hesitate in the neutral position (when cold) before dropping into 2nd...after the trans warmes up a bit I find the shifting is fine and I shift it normal then...

Last edited by Lifter583; 07-17-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Now I know who to call for stereo advice! You know that old addage, If it's too loud, you're too old? Yea, that's me.

Come on, Blacksmoke! I wanted a good scuffle!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

There is always room to improve the intake pipe, and that is the chief improvemen on a CAI kit. The air box and filter flows enough to support the supercharged Roush. The specifically said it wasn't necessary to change it. I read that to mean that any car to that HP level will breathe just fine through the stock cold air intake. I shared that because everyone thinks a CAI is a must have. I just don't see it that way. A GT500 is a car that will appreciate in value if left stock. It will depreciate if a bunch of aftermarket parts are installed. You could always save the OE parts and put them back on, but it wouldn't equate to a car that was untampered with.

I say mod the hell out of it...

I would seriously question the CAI part as being (the way I am percieving your statement) superficial.....

To just change to a CAI and call it a day (no tune) from the stock air box...then yes it probably is not beneficial (Not to mention it might throw codes from increased air flow across the MAF) ....however the open air element of a CAI (Now of course I am stating this as it pertains to 07-09 gt500 where it is a closed air box)and the larger Mass air meter allows the tuner to adjust different parameters as well as allows for lower IAT entering into the plenum etc. if the CAI unit is sealed to the hood (Like the Ford Racing one is) this will allow for more controls of air to fuel as it pertains to dialing in additional HP and torque. so the CAI DOES have a positive advantage.... its not just a show piece...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

congrats on the car and very sharp color combo
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Now I know who to call for stereo advice! You know that old addage, If it's too loud, you're too old? Yea, that's me.

Come on, Blacksmoke! I wanted a good scuffle!

LOLS!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cheftjpeck
I say mod the hell out of it...

I would seriously question the CAI part as being (the way I am percieving your statement) superficial.....

To just change to a CAI and call it a day (no tune) from the stock air box...then yes it probably is not beneficial (Not to mention it might throw codes from increased air flow across the MAF) ....however the open air element of a CAI (Now of course I am stating this as it pertains to 07-09 gt500 where it is a closed air box)and the larger Mass air meter allows the tuner to adjust different parameters as well as allows for lower IAT entering into the plenum etc. if the CAI unit is sealed to the hood (Like the Ford Racing one is) this will allow for more controls of air to fuel as it pertains to dialing in additional HP and torque. so the CAI DOES have a positive advantage.... its not just a show piece...
I think your take on the '09 and earlier is fair. The 2011+ uses a true cold air box from the factory that is sealed to the core support, allowing only fresh air from the high pressure areas around the grille.
I think Roush's point is that the box is not a restriction. They do use an improved air pipe and MAF housing. So it's really down to the difference between that stock air box with the panel type filter vs. an open element cone that is behind the core support with a marginal seal keeping out underhood heat. Given that the cars delivered with a supercharger have already had the exhaust and intake sides optimized for the forced induction, the dollars spent for a few more HP is hard to justify based on % gains.
So let's say that a typical cone type cold air kit, a tuner and a cat back system will run about $1300. This combo might add 50 HP to a car. That 50 HP is about 16% to my V6, or $79 per 1% gained. On the GT500, 50 HP would be a 9% gain costing $144 per 1% gained. This is assuming the GT500 would realize as signifigant an increase as the V6. I doubt that would be the case, because the GT500 already has good exhaust from the factory and any changes would be only slightly better, sticking to this price point. Yes, you could spend more for a full titanium race exhaust and see much greater improvements, but the cost factor just gets worse.
Roush stuck with the factory air box because it is quieter, emmissions compliant, lower maintainence and it just works. When you buy a highly engineered car, LEAVE IT ALONE. They are smarter than you. (and me, IMO)

Quick Reply: Got my GT500 today!! Now a couple questions...