Notices
S197 Shelby Section This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the latest installment of the Shelby Mustangs; the Shelby GT, the CS6, and the awesome GT500.

Rear end problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Rear end problems?

Just took my 07 GT500 in for an oil change and they were saying the fluid in the rear end is low. The tech pulled the plug and said there was metal shavings and I couldnt tell for sure, but I would say there could have been metal specs.

Car has 8900 miles on it and of those a small amount are of course hard driving but no nearly all of it. He said that he could feel fluid in the rear end and I thought that was fine since that fill plug is tiny if you can feel fluid...it's gotta be fine.

What do you guys think? Break in explain the shavings and being able to feel fluid is fine? Car is under warranty so Im not worried but if ya'll tell me to be then I will.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wcgman
Just took my 07 GT500 in for an oil change and they were saying the fluid in the rear end is low. The tech pulled the plug and said there was metal shavings and I couldnt tell for sure, but I would say there could have been metal specs.

Car has 8900 miles on it and of those a small amount are of course hard driving but no nearly all of it. He said that he could feel fluid in the rear end and I thought that was fine since that fill plug is tiny if you can feel fluid...it's gotta be fine.

What do you guys think? Break in explain the shavings and being able to feel fluid is fine? Car is under warranty so Im not worried but if ya'll tell me to be then I will.
Was this at the Ford dealership? Over on AFM, there is a thread like this, and Deysha from Ford Corporate said something about a recall or TSB on this. She said a Ford dealer can run your VIN and tell you if this applies to you.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:58 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

According to the Mustang shop manual, the 8.8" differential requires 3.17 pints of fluid and the level should be 1" to 1.125" below the bottom of the fill hole. This assumes you have the OEM differential cover.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:20 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Thank you Sharad and 6S. I do have the OEM cover and that sounds consistent with what the tech said. I will also call a dealer on Monday and have them check if there's a recall or TSB.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Thank you Sharad and 6S. I do have the OEM cover and that sounds consistent with what the tech said. I will also call a dealer on Monday and have them check if there's a recall or TSB.
No problem. I'm looking forward to hearing what they tell you. (my 8.8 acts a little sketchy sometimes) Make sure you follow up here.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Hi wcgman,

Before I step in, please touch base with your Service Manager regarding the rear end. They’ll be able to let you know if work or replacement is needed and whether there is coverage available (warranty, recall, etc.).

I’m happy to take a look if you still have questions.

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Was this at the Ford dealership? Over on AFM, there is a thread like this, and Deysha from Ford Corporate said something about a recall or TSB on this. She said a Ford dealer can run your VIN and tell you if this applies to you.
Thank you for the mention, UPRSarad!

Deysha
Old 08-05-2013, 06:30 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FordService
Hi wcgman,

Before I step in, please touch base with your Service Manager regarding the rear end. They’ll be able to let you know if work or replacement is needed and whether there is coverage available (warranty, recall, etc.).

I’m happy to take a look if you still have questions.

Thank you for the mention, UPRSarad!

Deysha
No problem Deysha. I'm glad we have you as a liaison between us and Ford Corporate.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
No problem Deysha. I'm glad we have you as a liaison between us and Ford Corporate.
Awwwe! Thank you, UPRSharad!

Deysha