Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

How to tell if its A Real Saleen & Whats It Worth??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
USMCSS
1st Gear Member

Default RE: The Unofficial, Official How Tell If Its A Real Saleen Post

It is an S/C
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

ACTUALLY, the 99-04 Saleens do use a Hurst shifter....
And, "red top" 30# injectors are factory on S/C'd cars....

As far as 99-0232, I'm sure someone can check their Saleen registry later and get the car specifics. I'm at work right now... [&o]
Old 06-08-2007, 05:46 PM
USMCSS
1st Gear Member

Yup, that's what's in there. A Hurst shifter and #30 red top injectors.
As far as it being authentic, I had already confirmed that a while back when I bought it in November. First owner name matched, delivery date, etc. I was really just trying to find the specifics on what came with that car. EVERYTHING Saleen put on 99-0232 so I can stop ordering things I already have on the car!!!. Also, is there a way to get a new interior badge that has the cars number that is mounted next to the cigarette lighter? Mine has been scratched a couple times and looks a little worn.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:18 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: S281SC

ACTUALLY, the 99-04 Saleens do use a Hurst shifter....
And, "red top" 30# injectors are factory on S/C'd cars....

As far as 99-0232, I'm sure someone can check their Saleen registry later and get the car specifics. I'm at work right now... [&o]
No sh*t [&:] well you learn something new everyday! Sorry to chime in there with wrong information [sm=oopssign.gif] So I'm guessing the Hurst is hidden by the stock booth w/the typical Saleen shift ****?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM
USMCSS
1st Gear Member

Yes, it's hidden under the boot with the regular Momo ****. I learned about it when i went to install a Steeda Tri-ax and Hurst shift handle
Old 06-09-2007, 02:10 AM
USMCSS
1st Gear Member

Does anybody know what size MAF came on the '99 S/C's? 80 or 90mm? Looks to me to be an 80 but not sure without taking it apart and looking at it.

I have also tried several times to contact Debbie in NC to get my name on the registry as the new owner. Never received any phone calls back after several messages have been left. Any suggestions?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:42 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

OK, I went back and read the 1999 section and don't find anything about Hurst or 30 # injectors. The spec sheet for the 1999 S-281 and S-281 SC lists the typical Saleen Close Ratio Shifter - so my guess is the kit was made for Saleen (or they just simple used) a Hurst kit. Also the specs for the 1999 S-281 SC shows 24lb injectors, not 30 [&:] So perhaps they are red top 24's?

If you have your original window sticker I would be curious to know if it lists the Saleen Quick Ratio Shifter or if it actually lists it as a Hurst?

As for your car, the register lists it as: SC, twin guage pod, 3.08 gear, wheel/tire upgrade (10" rear) Saleen floor mats, vert w/speedster tonnuea, chrome wheels and black top. Also of interest (although meaningless ) your car is almost identical to numbers 230 and 231.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
USMCSS
1st Gear Member

I thought #24 injectors were blue top and #30's were red top.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I don't know my color codes But I know the Saleen Book lists the 1999 S-281 SC as having 24lb injectors [&:] But I guess that could be an error too. I would call the boys at Haney as I'm sure they can confirm if the 30's were stock. I have no reason not to believe S281SC either.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
S281SC
2nd Gear Member

Yep, I looked at the Saleen book over the weekend. I noticed that it says 24 lb for both 99 and 00. However, If you look closely at the engine pictures, you can see a couple injectors displaying "red" tops, which indicate 30lb. The 24lb are blue tops. Ford does color-code injectors.

Must be an error in the book, infamous Saleen spec change or running change. I'd bet Haney, PAS, or Chicane could clarify, but every factory SC car I've seen has red top 30's....

Yes, the "Saleen short throw shifter" is the cheap-o Hurst kit, with a stock boot and Momo ****. Triax or MGW are both worthwhile upgrades, as the cheapo Hurst is only slightly better than the stock piece.

As far as the MAF, it's just the stock Mustang piece... Not sure on the size, but definitely not 90mm...

Quick Reply: How to tell if its A Real Saleen & Whats It Worth??