Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

I Wasn't Prepared For This

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:53 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default I Wasn't Prepared For This

I just took delivery of my '06 S281 SC convertible yesterday. I've been reading posts on this forum for some time and I really appreciate the valuable information you all offer about Saleens, Roushes, and Mustangs generally. In fact, it was only after reading this forum for some time that I gained enough confidence to buy my Saleen used (4 months old w/ 2,400 miles) through EBay.

As for my car, I have to say that I was not prepared for either (a) the sheer enjoyment (and unbelievable power) the Saleen provides, or (b) the remarkable response the car gets from people on the street. Having the car for all of 6 hours yesterday, these are just some of the responses I've witnessed:
1. Someone stuck their head out the window in the local grocery store parking lot to yell "yeah!" at the car.
2. Moments later, a young woman turned to her boyfriend/husband in the same parking lot and said "Oh my god! Is that a Mustang?!"
3. The valets in our office building (who regularly see Aston Martins and Ferraris) gave it their collective and enthusiastic thumbs up.
4. A kid skateboarding down my street hopped of his board and just stared at the car in awe for about 30 seconds.
5. Several people have pulled up next to it and slowed down to get a better look.

I was shocked to see such a response -- especially in L.A., where you can't go a mile without seeing several 911s, AMGs, etc. But more importantly, this car is almost violently fast, remarkably refined, and a real blast to drive!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I Wasn't Prepared For This

Welcome to the club!

Mine isn't a vert but I get comments everytime I'm out with it.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

nice to hear you like the attention the car gets! Now if only the Shelby looked as muscley (not a word I know) as the Saleen.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:19 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

My favorite experiences so far (two months and counting) in my 2006 Satin Silver Speedster 'vert....

Baby Boomer leaning out of his truck and yelling.... "Holy Smoke!" That is SOME CAR!!

The whole entire staff of a convenience store coming outside to ask if they could look under the hood.

A couple of teenage boys leaning out of a truck to take pictures with their cellphone.

An older gentleman pulling up beside me at a red light and saying that I should turn down the radio so that I could hear that beautiful engine better (he was grinning from ear to ear).
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

My favorite was some older guy in a truck getting off the highway stops in the middle of the road to look at the car. I wasn't prepared for all the head turning the car would be doing either.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and the valet parking attendant who asked if it was okay to have his picture taken in the car.

I LOVE this car!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 AM
scspeedster
2nd Gear Member

No matter how many cars Saleen makes, or how many are in your area, they always attract alot of attention - You are driving around a symbol, be proud, enjoy yourself and show-off when you get the chance.

And don't try to correct everyone who mis-pronounces the name.......
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM
4Stangs
4th Gear Member

Take it to some local shows and cruise-ins. Its fun. Some people don't even recognize the car as a mustang.

Nice car!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 PM
tim1200
3rd Gear Member

I had mine at a local Ford dealer, non Saleen, and when I went in to pick it up I found that it was in the service bay, by the front door, with the hood opened, I thought I miss understood that they were finished, it was, the service manager said that so many people wanted to look at it they thought it would be safer to leave it in the bay with the hood opened. She asked me if I mined, I didn't I thought it was cool.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I think the most complimentary thing that happened to me was when a passenger in a late model WS6 TA stuck his head out of the t-top (or sunroof?) and took a picture That, and winning a few trophy's at OPEN car shows - thats quite an honor considering there are usually a lot of early model cars there that have suffered through A LOT more time and money!

Quick Reply: I Wasn't Prepared For This