Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

dyno day today

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 PM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

Default dyno day today

Had my '06 Saleen on the dyno today to get a base figure before I upgrade it after the new year, they first ran it up in 5th but the speed limiter cut in at approx 155mph (4k rpm) so ran it up again in 4th, after 5k rpm the engine leaned right out which i expected which all the technicians said they wouldnt advice holding it over 5k for too long!! see attached photo.
Im stuck trying to decide now if I should go the saleen 40bhp upgrade route or buy the main parts they supply seperatly and get a custom tune to ensure my AF is ok, your thoughts please!

[IMG]local://upfiles/9111/7EC9FB7838284AFDAACB369B11584733.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2006, 02:54 PM
tim1200
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: dyno day today

I am thinking that conventional wisdom will lean towards a custom tune, that way you get the most out of you upgrades.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Looks like you got really excited about your dyno sheet!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:29 PM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PolkThug

Looks like you got really excited about your dyno sheet!
ha ha yes appologies for that, had a little accident with a cup of tea!
Old 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM
saleen4l
1st Gear Member

good question....i am actually thinkin that after i get my saleen upgrade that i'll swing by jdm here in NJ and get a dyno and a custom tune....not sure yet cause i am confused as always lol ....but good luck with everything
Old 12-02-2006, 06:27 PM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

ok someone has mentioned to me that my vacuum routing might be wrong and this is adding to the leaning out, now being a constructin worker and no mechanic would this be possible and if so what should be where?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:58 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

Ninja,

The stock 2006 SC will lean out regardless of your vacuum routing. The leaning out at 5k is a function of the mass air sensor being pegged, and thus completely out of electronic control. The only fix is a custom tune that adjusts the transfer function (this will buy you some play with the A/F), changing out the maf + a custom tune, purchasing the 475 HP upgrade kit from Saleen (no guarantee of an A/F below 12 though), or JDM kit and tune.

If you think you'll end up with a custom tune at some point there is absolutely no reason to go with the Saleen kit. Since the Saleen tune is locked your tuner will have to start from scratch for the most part. The path of least resistance in this case is JDM.

If you want to keep your Saleen "stock" then get the 475 HP kit, install it, get it dyno'd. Then if the A/F is fine leave it alone. If not then get a custom tune.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:17 AM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dotbomb

Ninja,

The stock 2006 SC will lean out regardless of your vacuum routing. The leaning out at 5k is a function of the mass air sensor being pegged, and thus completely out of electronic control. The only fix is a custom tune that adjusts the transfer function (this will buy you some play with the A/F), changing out the maf + a custom tune, purchasing the 475 HP upgrade kit from Saleen (no guarantee of an A/F below 12 though), or JDM kit and tune.

If you think you'll end up with a custom tune at some point there is absolutely no reason to go with the Saleen kit. Since the Saleen tune is locked your tuner will have to start from scratch for the most part. The path of least resistance in this case is JDM.

If you want to keep your Saleen "stock" then get the 475 HP kit, install it, get it dyno'd. Then if the A/F is fine leave it alone. If not then get a custom tune.
thankyou bomb! i have indeed decided to stick with the saleen upgrade as it is very rare i hold the revs above 5k anyway, it will be dyno'd after the install on the same dyno to get a proper comparison,when all is fitted will post the results,
I know the figures are above book but im guessing that could be due to any number of reasons, the colder climate here, our fuel is a higher octane, its a good engine! who knows?! I now have my baseline figure to upgrade from
Old 12-03-2006, 08:52 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

So..... Is there an issue with leaning out at 5k+ on all SC Saleens? Does the 475 kit include a work around for this?
I've seen chat about leaning issues here before but I guess it never really hit home that there would be such a big problem.
I'm not one for pegging the RPM needle but I'm thinking about the impact of the leaning issue during track-days when the motor will be up to 5k+ quite a bit, although not continuously.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

The stock 435 HP SC cars will go to 13.5+ A/F at about 6k rpm, it is the way the car is designed (2005-2006 models). The 475 HP kit (and 2007 models) not only gives more power but it also lowers the A/F ratio to about 11.5-12.5 based on dyno numbers that have been posted.

Quick Reply: dyno day today