Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Saleen Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Purchase

Hey, Trigg, if you get it, maybe hubby and I will see you one weekend over in Gatlinburg... can't wait to cruise the strip this summer. Didn't realize somebody rented Saleens, though
Old 02-26-2007, 02:04 AM
Trigg
3rd Gear Member

ya there not that big of a place but they have a Black, Blue ,and Yellow ones. but maybe

Ok guys here the up date, I went back yesterday and they told me that it was now for 37k and that I could get the whole car repainted and get a new bodykit for it, still has warrenty. I got picks but my gf ran away with my camera for the weekend . see what we can do for Mond
Old 02-26-2007, 04:54 AM
jsaleen004
1st Gear Member

way too expensive. i have an 04 S281 SC that i bought from a dealer in floridalast yearwith only 19k on it and bought it for $29,000....
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsaleen004

way too expensive. i have an 04 S281 SC that i bought from a dealer in floridalast yearwith only 19k on it and bought it for $29,000....
agreed. still too expensive. I bought a 2002 281 SC vertayear and a halfago for $30k with only 8k miles.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:06 PM
AmyVCTexas
3rd Gear Member

According to NADA, average retail for a 2004 SC vert is $36,600. That probably assumes 12k miles per year so this car is better on the mileage end. If it is also Lizstick in color, that would add some value too. They're acting interested so you might consider:

1. Verify that it is Lizstick!
2. Get some sort of extended warranty on parts and labor as part of the deal since it's not clear how hard it's been driven and we're all a bit concerned about what happened over those 5k miles it's got
3. Get an outside inspection before you put even a dime on it!
4. If they have other 2004s on the lot, they're probably hungry. Check eBay, see what others like it have sold (or not sold) for recently and go back armed with printouts of this information
5. And last but not least -- don't force it! Patience pays. If this doesn't happen easily, another one is out there, guaranteed!

Just my $.02 (and probably worth half that!)

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

You guys are forgetting that it is Liztick Red, which added $15k to the MSRP. So if NADA is $36,600 then IMO $37k is a killer deal. But if they are offering a new body kit and complete repaint I would be skeptical. No way I would buy that car without calling Team Saleen first with the bumper number and VIN to verify that it is legit.

And now that I think about it - why would Saleen Inc put a Sales Rep in a car with a $15k custom paint job [&:]
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM
s281cobra
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

You guys are forgetting that it is Liztick Red, which added $15k to the MSRP. So if NADA is $36,600 then IMO $37k is a killer deal. But if they are offering a new body kit and complete repaint I would be skeptical. No way I would buy that car without calling Team Saleen first with the bumper number and VIN to verify that it is legit.

And now that I think about it - why would Saleen Inc put a Sales Rep in a car with a $15k custom paint job [&:]
Not entirely correct it is $15k for the new body style but back in the "new edge" era (99-04) it was only $6k.

I was wondering that myself about why custom paint on a sales reps car.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

I'd have to agree with our Axe wielding friend on this one.....something just doesn't make sense. Could be a case of the sales person making irresponsible promises, but I doubt it.

I've heard anecdotely thatreplacementfront nose cones for Saleen's arrive in less-than-desireableconditionfrom a roughness standpoint and require significant prep time for the paint crew........not to mention the expense of the color.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
eviligloo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trigg

ya there not that big of a place but they have a Black, Blue ,and Yellow ones. but maybe

Ok guys here the up date, I went back yesterday and they told me that it was now for 37k and that I could get the whole car repainted and get a new bodykit for it, still has warrenty. I got picks but my gf ran away with my camera for the weekend . see what we can do for Mond
1. if that was indeed a rented saleen.....the engine probably has some pretty good wear on it during those 5k miles. if I rented it, i'd do burnouts all day. speaking of which....check the back tires for excessive wear!

2. i'd get it in writing WHO was going to repaint it if you were still interested. I'd still be wary about getting it repainted, though. they've gotta rip off all the graphics, get new graphics and numbersand put them back on again. if it's saleen...then it's ok. if it's the dealership, though....

3. even though $36k is average retail, that still seems a little high considering what saleens are actually selling for. most people don't know what a saleen is and so not many people are out there looking to spend $36k for a car that was essentially built in 2003 (and not thelatest body style).

4. if you do like it and everything checks out....put in an offer before the spring/summer driving season comes up. it's harder for them to sell a convertible in February (unless you're in florida or california maybe).
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Tmack
2nd Gear Member

Some dealers are just idiots. I live in Utah and a few years ago, the local Saleen dealer had two Saleens with custom paint. One was a 2002 S281E in Beryllium (Birdiemans) and the other a S281 SC in Lizstick. They were both left outside and the Lizstickcar had bird crap all over the hood and the roof for a couple of weeks.

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

Quick Reply: Saleen Purchase