Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

H-pipe and tune question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 AM
saleen281eguy
2nd Gear Member

Default H-pipe and tune question

To re-tune the car, does the ECU require a new chip as did the 99-04? cause that will be $500 for dyno time and chip. What can you do with the stock tune of the car without putting the car on a dyno and buying a new chip?

Also, do you need a re-tune for an off-road H-pipe? what kind of mid-pipe do you all recommend...im looking for a little sound with my stock Saleen exhaust, so i just want to bolt up a mid-pipe to the stock manifolds and cat-back.

Can any of you Saleen owners verify how this will sound? im curious to know if they sound good like the 99-04's did w/ stock borla, considering the 05/07 exhaust is "different" to say the least.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: H-pipe and tune question

I think the 99 - 04's had X-pipes factory.....not sure if the 05 - 07's do or not. Are you definitely sold on H-pipe sound?

What kind of chip are you looking at? If you can do chip (provided it's a decent chip.....Diablo's are cheaper, but take longer to tune.....taking another hour for tuning cost greatly offsets any savings) and tune for $500 go for it. My dyno tune and chip cost came out around $770.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

You do not need to re-tune for an off road pipe. But you will need to buy/install MIL eliminators, and you MIGHT have to have a Saleen dealer get into the tune to turn off the O2 sensors if you still get a check engine light after that.

The ECU's can be flash tuned, you don't need a chip. However you car is tuned specifically for the Extreme setup so I wouldn't touch it myself - I would have a qualified shop do it.

It is rumored on here MANY times over that the H sounds better on these new 3v motors than the X (stock Ford midpipe is an H). I have the off road H and I love it. It definitely sounds like a muscle car should.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My factory X pipe sounded great, but not as good as my H pipe (will get LOUD upon hard accel).Of course factory had cheapo cats.

Jaz
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
NastyGT
2nd Gear Member

yea i had a x stock on 02 but now have a catted mrt h pipe and love it
Old 04-18-2007, 04:57 PM
saleen281eguy
2nd Gear Member

how many of you are running off-road H pipes on 05+ models with stock saleen exhaust though? because saleen is using a different exhaust now.

Yeah, i think i will put it on and have the auto shop by me re-flash the stock chip. I had a BBK offroad X on my last Saleen and it sounded awesome. I had a rig set up though with MAC long tubes and bbk offroad X with Borla catback.

i found the part numbers.

BBK 1769 - Xtractor off-road pipe
BBK 1770 - Xtractor High Flow pipe

Which do you all think is better? im affraid to buy one because the Saleen Extreme doesnt exactly have a "hardcore" look, i mean would you put a loud exhaust systems on your V10 Mercedes? lol and i know a lot of you would say YEAHHHHH! haha
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Saleen#468
2nd Gear Member

ive got an x-pipe sitting in my garage. im trying to sell it to buy a pypes o/r h. would like to hear a clip of someones before i buy it. an x-pipe with the 05+ exhaust sounds choppy. kind of like an old pickup at low rpm. i thought it sounded good in the car and then i had my wife drive it up the road and i took it off the next day.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:10 AM
saleen281eguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saleen#468

ive got an x-pipe sitting in my garage. im trying to sell it to buy a pypes o/r h. would like to hear a clip of someones before i buy it. an x-pipe with the 05+ exhaust sounds choppy. kind of like an old pickup at low rpm. i thought it sounded good in the car and then i had my wife drive it up the road and i took it off the next day.
so you just answered my question? lol... sure, if you post it, ill listen. .... then again, its stock GT exhaust, which would be nasty!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

DO NOT get the Diablo tune!! I dont know about the old Saleens but the new body Saleen's tune is locked in the ECU, so in order to get an aftermarket tune, the SCT is the best. It is able to store the Saleen tune as well as store 2 or 3 custom tunes. The Diablo cannot store the Saleen tune disallowing a new tune to be used.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:20 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Get the SCT Xcal2. Load your Saleen Extreme tune into it for safe keeping. Then, your tuning shop will have fun starting from scratch with your custom tune.

Quick Reply: H-pipe and tune question