Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

HELP birdieman!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 11:39 PM
flatfoot75

Default HELP birdieman!!!

You seem to be da man on here so I need help from you and others.....I have a stock 2003 Saleen S/C. Problem is, AT THE MOST my boost psi only measures 4-5 psi. I have seen on the other posts that it should be around 8 or so. Does this have to due with a bad tuning or is it a blower problem?(I have bought it with 4500 miles on it) I have just ordered a 3" pulley in hopes of boosting it up and will get it dynoe'd and re-tuned if necessary but now am thinking if I should go get the blower looked at first. I am assuming you work for or have connections to Saleen so since I couldn't, could you find out what is the stock size pulley that comes with whatever blower I have(was told it wasa whipple but now heard it was some other kind). I tried measuring it with the belt on and measured 3.21". Last thing, with a 3" pulley should I get a smaller belt and if so, what size? I thank you in advance for all your help!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP birdieman!!!

Ok, first off, tell me how soon you reach max boost(you say 4-5 psi). By how soon I mean at what rpm. Also, tell me what your boost guage reads at 3000 rpm under full load in 3rd gear. Don't worry, we can figure it out. Also, isn't it still under warranty? It is a possibility you have a leak somewhere, maybe between your heat exchanger and your mainfold or blower. You won't want to pulley it until you've figured out for sure why it is making 4-5 psi max. Also, check to make sure it has Saleen pullies. I believe they will be red in color. If for some reason the pullies are mismatched, or you have a stock crank pulley, it could cause your blower to spin slower. If that was the case, you could 'pulley up' the blower to get stock boost (8-ish psi). It could also be a faulty boost guage. Your belt could be slipping from a lack of tension. First things first, check that stuff I metioned above and report back.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
ROUSH360R
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flatfoot75

You seem to be da man on here so I need help from you and others.....I have a stock 2003 Saleen S/C. Problem is, AT THE MOST my boost psi only measures 4-5 psi. I have seen on the other posts that it should be around 8 or so. Does this have to due with a bad tuning or is it a blower problem?(I have bought it with 4500 miles on it) I have just ordered a 3" pulley in hopes of boosting it up and will get it dynoe'd and re-tuned if necessary but now am thinking if I should go get the blower looked at first. I am assuming you work for or have connections to Saleen so since I couldn't, could you find out what is the stock size pulley that comes with whatever blower I have(was told it wasa whipple but now heard it was some other kind). I tried measuring it with the belt on and measured 3.21". Last thing, with a 3" pulley should I get a smaller belt and if so, what size? I thank you in advance for all your help!!!!

If you change your pulley you then better check your a/f ratio on the dyno, in addition to and especially if you have other mods. You could easily run too lean and blow her up!!!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
flatfoot75

Ok first off, thanks roush....that is my second stop after the pulley. Secondly, thanks birdieman for your help. In 3rd gear at 3000rpm it looks like I have 3lbs of boost and it looks like the soonest I reach 4-5 rpm is 3rd gear approaching 4rpm. This may not be exact due to my gauge jumping on occasion. Do you think it could just be my gauge. It seemed to work fine (albeit still only showed 4-5psi max) before I changed my exhaust (went from crappy Saleen x-pipe to Bassani x-pipe for better sound). What I mean by that is that it moved smoother and didnt jump. Would the exhaust have ANYTHING to due with it? As you can tell, I am a complete dummy when it comes to my car...I try and leave that to the experts.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Secondly, thanks birdieman for your help. In 3rd gear at 3000rpm it looks like I have 3lbs of boost and it looks like the soonest I reach 4-5 rpm is 3rd gear approaching 4rpm. This may not be exact due to my gauge jumping on occasion. Do you think it could just be my gauge. It seemed to work fine (albeit still only showed 4-5psi max) before I changed my exhaust (went from crappy Saleen x-pipe to Bassani x-pipe for better sound). What I mean by that is that it moved smoother and didnt jump. Would the exhaust have ANYTHING to due with it? As you can tell, I am a complete dummy when it comes to my car...I try and leave that to the experts.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Ok, you didn't mention that your guage jumps around. That usually is indicative of belt slippage, but in your case im not so sure. Did you check your pullies to make sure they are all Saleen and not mismatched? If you are making only 3psi @ 3000 rpms, I do belive that you have mis-matched pullies. In other words, when Saleen sets up your car, they change out the underdrive pullies for less restiction on the engine, which makes more hp. If, somewhere along the way, someone changed out the pullies, or the car was built as a naturally aspirated Saleen and then someone added the blower later, your belt may not be spinning the blower fast enough. You should be making more boost at 3000 rpms than you are. Also, is the color of the blower casing black? Check your pullies for mis matching. I belive the Saleen pullies will be annodized red in color. What was the history of this car? You bought it used, right? What # is it? If you give me the # on the car, I'll call my buddies at Saleen and find out the car's history -And yes, it could be the guage or the connection. Either way, don't worry. It will get figured out. Get back to me with the info I asked for.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:36 PM
flatfoot75

Ok, I checked the pulleys today and they are the red ones from Saleen. The belt is an aftermarket from Good year (I believe it said 113"). What size should it be for a stock pulley (I tried to fit a calipre between the belt and pulley and measured 3.21")? Also, what size do you think I should get for a 3" pulley? The more I think about it I think the belt may be loose. My gauge was really jumping today.
By the way, my Saleen supposedly came as S/C. If you can check though , it would be greatly appreciated. #03-360.
Once again, I do appreciate all your help!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:39 PM
flatfoot75

Also, my S/C is a twin screw with Black casing and 4 bolts for the pulley
Old 12-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Ok, next things next. Have you felt the tension on the belt? Does it seem a little loose? It probably is sllipping. Here's a coulple things to do. Get a new belt for it (go .5' smaller this time) and try it. If it still slips, you may need to check your belt tensioner for resistance. Put a socket in it and give it a pull. You should feel decent resistance. Also, you could create more friction on your blower pulley by having it sandblasted. If the new belt doesn't work, you can return it. Try the new belt first and get back to me.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

Birdieman....
How much boost should the s/c put out at 3000 rpm at full load in 3rd gear. I just pickup a 03 s/c convert today and I was shocked that the boost starts so late. The car has only 3000 miles on it. very thing is completely stock except for 3.73's in the rear.
Thanks
Troy

Quick Reply: HELP birdieman!!!