Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Feedback needed please. Shelby or Saleen "E"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 AM
06roushv6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Feedback needed please. Shelby or Saleen "E"?

if you can get a shelby @ sticker, go for it! but my vote would go for the saleen, no doubt
Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 AM
SBKRider
2nd Gear Member

First of all, the Shelby doesn't weigh 4900 pounds. Its more like 3950lb. Its a fat wallowy pig but notthat damnfat.That being said, I can't find any other objectionable statements so far on this thread. Saleens are by a far the best looking cars on the stang market other than the Shelby IMO. Since personal appeal is in the eye of the beholder I trust the flames won't come. From the 3V to the E they are fantastic.

I can gurantee you that the moment I can get an E car, and make it work financially, I will...so long as I don't have to get rid of the Shelby.

The biggest down for me is the 30k extra for the E. Haven;t gotten there yet
Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM
dvf1973
2nd Gear Member

wheres my lighter
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Curz
1st Gear Member

Ive had a SRT8 and now I have an E. Not in the same league at all. The torque of the E is ridiculous compared to my SRT8. If your priorites are NAV and heated seats then the E and Shelbyare not for you. Its about performace not luxury. The E is hundreds of lbs less than the Shelby as well. The Shelby has 3:31 and the E has 4:10. The E is a much faster car both in the 1/4 and especially in the twisties. However if ammenities are more important then stay with your SRT.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: dvf1973

wheres my lighter
Nice dvf

Jazzer givin' it up for his cleaver pepes!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:13 AM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

As others have noted, a stock Saleen "E" is quicker than a stock Shelby. It will probably handle better, too, since it has larger tires, potentially a more sophisticated rear suspension (if you get the Watts link), and it's carrying a couple of hundred pounds less weight over the front tires (aluminum block 4.6 vs. iron block 5.4).

The ultimate power potential of the Shelby is much higher-- like the man says, there's no substitute for cubic inches, and an extra 0.8 liters of displacement isn't chump change. Several Mustang magazines have easily hit 700 horsepower with a Ken Belle blower replacing the stock supercharger and no other changes. Of course, either car has more power and performance than you could ever reasonably need, and an extra 0.5 second clipped off the 0-60 time isn't something you'd ever notice without electronic measuring instruments.

If you live near a Ford dealer, but not a Saleen dealer, that might be a consideration. Although the Saleen is technically covered by the Ford warranty for all non-Saleen parts, I've found that getting warranty service from some Ford dealers is difficult.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SBKRider

First of all, the Shelby doesn't weigh 4900 pounds. Its more like 3950lb. Its a fat wallowy pig but notthat damnfat.
I think he meant to type in 3900...no one think the GT500 weighs as much as a truck

ORIGINAL: dramsey

Several Mustang magazines have easily hit 700 horsepower with a Ken Belle blower replacing the stock supercharger and no other changes
You could easily put a kenne bell on the Extreme as well and make the same numbers...
Old 11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Curz
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

ORIGINAL: SBKRider

First of all, the Shelby doesn't weigh 4900 pounds. Its more like 3950lb. Its a fat wallowy pig but notthat damnfat.
I think he meant to type in 3900...no one think the GT500 weighs as much as a truck

Several Mustang magazines have easily hit 700 horsepower with a Ken Belle blower replacing the stock supercharger and no other changes
You could easily put a kenne bell on the Extreme as well and make the same numbers...
right. Also there are kits available now to make the E 650 hp with the Saleen Blower
Old 11-14-2007, 12:20 PM
dramsey
2nd Gear Member

So, your assertion is that an extra 0.8 liters and 4 valve heads count for nothing...?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

So, your assertion is that an extra 0.8 liters and 4 valve heads count for nothing...?
Well the 4 valve heads dont help it out at all, despite having an extra exhaust valve, ford designed the 3V engine with much more enginuity. They are less noisy and just as efficient (there is an article about it). You stated that you could slap a Kenne Bell on a GT500 and get 700hp...I simply responded by stating you could slap a kenne bell on an extreme and get those same numbers. I wasnt implying that boost for boost the Extreme would have the same numbers but it sure is capable of 700hp with a kenne bell

Quick Reply: Feedback needed please. Shelby or Saleen "E"?