Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Converting a GT to a 428

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
Roush428R

Default Converting a GT to a 428

Hey what's up everyone. I have a question. I'd like to convert my 2005 silver gt to a 428R, the only problem is I can't find the graphics or the rear emblem anywhere. Is this because it's a special edition car and cannot be replicated?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Jus Cruisin
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Converting a GT to a 428

I hope so. I have a real one and Iparticularly wouldn't want it cloned (jmo).[8D]

I say buy the body kit and the supercharger and leave it at that.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Cloning is always a touchy subject in here. Sure it is your car and you should do to it what you want, but be prepared to catch a lot of slack from the purists out there. You will find that most of us in here are all in favor of clones (it is a strong form of flattery) but prefer they don't go the distance....meaning badges, decals, name banners, and serial numbers. Two of my favorite clones are actually fellow club members...they installed the body kits, the suspension but did not apply and Saleen letters, decals, badges or numbers.

I say you be proud that your car is a Mustang GT that you modded to look and perform like a Roush, but stop short of labeling it asa Roush....just my opinion. But as always do as you see fit because it is your car, and enjoy the hell out of it

And if you decide to do it 100%, I'm sure you can find replica badges and graphics on ebay.

Oh yeah - welcome aboard and please share some pics of the before and after when you are done
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

All Roush cars with "upgraded" powertrains/engine packages are serialized and the Rear Deck Emblem isn't sold to the open public unless you can prove you own one. Stage 3, 427R/Trak pak, 428R etc. There is no doubt that when some of these cars start showing up scrapped or in the boneyard those emblems will start showing up on ebay. I've already see some of this already. Cloning of old 60's&70's musclecars are common and most people just want to own one without having the cash to buy a real one. The issues starts when people start cloning to try to pass one off as original. Then I have real issue with that and experiencing that with my 60's&70's musclecars. All the more reason for anybody that own a real serialized Roush or Saleen or any specialty car to keep all their paperwork and "PROTECT" any emblems/badges/serialized plates on their car. I've been to many large car shows and you always hear of people getting fender tags/data plates stolen off there old musclcars. It will happen to our cars if your not careful.

Personally I would do 2 things in Roush428R case. Either buy a real one since making one a clone will be very expensive as well or bolt on some go fast goodies and make it a sleeper. If you slap on 428R stickers and badges etc you better make sure that engine is up to snuff since you will attract all kinds of 'goofballs' wanting to test those graphics you slapped on your car.

I'm all for bolting on ground effects/blowers/wheels and other Roush stuff you can buy but making one look 'exactly like a real one'. Not a real fan of that.

Just my comments & MHO.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Good point there 07....not that I think this guy is looking to commit fraud...but cloning a car and then claiming it is the real deal, and worse, trying to sell it as the real deal for the jacked up coin is just flat wrong [:@] And whatever you do, when you finish this project DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT register it in car shows as a Roush [:@][:@] It is a modded Mustang GT and would belong in the proper Modifed Mustang class.

I was in a big national "indoor" car show last year and was in the Specialty Late Model class...and I got 2nd place. Now I don't get worked up over awards, but when I heard the first place car I got a little pissed. It was a 2005 Mustang GT with add-on shaker hood and full Mach 1 decals/stripes [&:] No such thing, so why was it in the Specialty class [&:][&:] And to top it off, this car was not fully detailed, it had the windows up with aFOR SALE SIGN(whichwas against show rules)and the hood down while my car was fully detailed and fully displayed for the judges to see every CLEAN nook & cranny. Come to find out this guy was good friends with the show host/judges

Anyway, just rambling now but you get my point [8D]
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Roush428R

Hey guys, I appreciate all the replys and i'm definately not looking to go as far as making it seem like its the real deal. I just happen to admire the 428R and think it's gorgeous. If I could afford the real deal trust me I'd be at the dealership right now lol. I called Roush yesterday and they said the same thing about not being able to get the emblems and stripes cause of the limited quantity made. I'm just going to go for the Stage 2 look since I'm able to do that. Good luck to you guys with the 428's, hopefully I'll join in the action one day!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Roush428R

Do you guys think the Stage 2 look would be a better approach? Of course it'd still be in the modded section when I go to shows. I live in Staten Island, NY and I brought the car to a few shows last year stock and I won 3rd at one of them which I thought was pretty cool cause I just bought the car in March of 07. I've wanted a stang for as long as I could remember so I busted my ***, worked while going to school and finally bought myself one. I have a secondary car too so it's not my every day driver. I landed a good job after I graduate in May so the next big investment's gotta be a house with a garage lol, then I'll stock up on some nice classics and newer limited cars like the 428R.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Roush428R

Do you guys think the Stage 2 look would be a better approach? Of course it'd still be in the modded section when I go to shows. I live in Staten Island, NY and I brought the car to a few shows last year stock and I won 3rd at one of them which I thought was pretty cool cause I just bought the car in March of 07. I've wanted a stang for as long as I could remember so I busted my ***, worked while going to school and finally bought myself one. I have a secondary car too so it's not my every day driver. I landed a good job after I graduate in May so the next big investment's gotta be a house with a garage lol, then I'll stock up on some nice classics and newer limited cars like the 428R.
I think you should buy and do what you want. All Stage 2 means to me is 'cosmetics'. What will you think when the 429R comes out next year? You could have saved some cash by then instead of dumping some big cash into cosmetics on your current ride and either find a used 427R or 428R for a good price. Again its all about what you want and this is just one opinion. Good Luck with your projects!!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:39 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Not tohijack here, but this post has taken a couple turns already anyway Whats the deal with the 42x nomenclature these days. I thought it represneted the hp rating...is it going up now based on the year (2007 = 427, 2008 = 428, etc...) [&:]
Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

That's an interesting observation Jason. I do not think they'll use 430 for 2010 so I'm curious as to what they mean...

Quick Reply: Converting a GT to a 428