Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Manual vs Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
blackmale322000

Default Manual vs Automatic

I have loved mustang since I was in highschool and first saw the new SVO that one of my classmates drove. I currently own a '67 GTA fastback with a 390 engine that lives in the shop, I spend more time writing checks than driving the car. I'm currently waiting for my 2005 Saleen SC, my dealer said my car and 3 others would be on the ground in late April ( I hope that's not BS).

The only problem is that I ordered my Saleen with a manual transmission and I suck at driving manual (actually I have no experience). I have been informed by multiple dealers that there would be a longer wait time on automatic transmission Saleen SC's because of chasis availability issues from Ford. Every car I have ever owned has been an automatic. I've been practicing on a friends car sporadically and she's been very patient with me. I been contemplating buying a late model mustang ('93 - 2000) with a manual and practicing then trading it to the dealer when I pick up my Saleen. Any tips on quickly mastering the art of shifting. I heard that the transmissions on the Saleens were smooth shifting and easy master.

PS. Any thoughts on the 2006 Shelby GT500 (450 HP)? Will this monster cut into Saleen's sales and popularity?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Kooldac
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Manual vs Automatic

Hey... I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I am just about 18 and thus have limited experience with simply driving. I have never even tried a manual. I have been saving and will be for the next few years to hopefully buy a 2003 GT my Junior year of college. But as you can see, I have no knowledge of manual. My friend is contemplating letting me practive on his Evo, but maybe not. I could use the tips as well.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

I'm only 16. Started driving stick bout 2 months ago. And at first I stalled alot in first and would over rev when shifting (mainly 2nd). But after about 2 wks of driving you just kind of "get the hang of things." Then you can simply not drive it for liek another week or so, and when you get back you're even better. You just have to practice the fundamentals...timing...when to let off the clutch and how much gas to give. Go and drive a rental or somethin of the sort in a parking lot, and you can get the feel for it really easy. But remember, if you drive an evo, since its a smaller engine, the tranny will be looser, the v8's are a little stiffer; however, i have to compliment ford and saleen for the work they've done with their trannys. They shift very comfortably and even have a slight tilt towawrds the drivers side to ensure good shifts and comfort.

It's like riding a bike..take some time, but once you get it, you don't forget it.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Hills are the hardest thing to master in a stick. I have driven stick all my life and nothing is worse than being at a light/stopsign with a vehicle behind you as you go to accelerate and start coasting back!

Suggestion, get comfortable driving around in a parking lot before you venture out on the road. I enjoy manual tranny's Auto's make me feel like I'm out of control and they are not instant in their response when you floor it after cruising (computer says 'OH, you want to go faster, hang on a sec, let me down shift for you). Stick, down shift and go! Makes it easy for tight manuvering with lanes of various speeds of traffic
Old 04-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

Very true. I forgot to include about rolling on hills. Horrible feeling really, just when you let off the brake you feel the coast...and you **** your pants in fear of hitting the hott girl that's currently situated 11 inches behind your bumper.

Quick Tip: Just as you go to let of the break. (clutch down with left foot...obvoiusly) Begin to hit the gas as well. the clutch and gas will even eachother out and you will stay right where you are until you need to move; then just let off the clutch little by little and you'll be good to go.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:53 AM
blank
2nd Gear Member

practice practice practice
i just learned about a yr ago on my neon and now i love it.
hills are the hardest thing to master but refer to line 1