Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Specialty Edition Saleens?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:27 PM
sal07b
1st Gear Member

Default Specialty Edition Saleens?

OK, I'm looking for everyone's opinion here. At what point does a manufacturer make so many "special editions" that they are no longer special? I mean, let's look at the offerings from Saleen at this point: PJ, Red Flag, Extreme, Armed Forces Edition, 25th Anniversary, Heritage, Heritage 302. Then of course you have the "standard" S281 and the S281 S/C. I like a variety, but it's a bad day when a limited edition serialized car (S281) can be considered the "base model". Is Saleen doing themselves any favors with more"special editions", or hurting the exclusivity of their brand? I'm wondering what the addition of all these editions is doing to the overall value/exclusivity of owning a Saleen, old or new...
Old 03-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Specialty Edition Saleens?

The Jazzer is in complete agreement [sm=signs007.gif]
Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 PM
abbas
3rd Gear Member

I dont consider the Extreme, Red Flag, Heritage and Heritage 302 as special edition. Limited edition...yes. I consider the Armed Forces and 25th anniversary as special editions. I dont know where to place the PJ. But all in all, I do agree with you, there are way too many variations, special/limited editions. Like I said before, I am waiting for the Xmas, and Easter editions .
Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

I think they are starting to get a little out of hand with what they offering. I know they are doing it to cater to more people but it is dropping the exclusivity of the Saleen's. IMO, I think the only special or limited editions should be the PJ, armed forces, and 25th anniversary. The rest to me are just like normal stock. Instead of offering them as limited editions, they should offer them as packages. I.E. if someone was looking at the N/A, offer it as an option to go the red flag route instead but number it as a normal Saleen, not 1 out of 100 or whatever. There really isn't much different about it...
Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
dotbomb
3rd Gear Member

I would have thought they'd learn their lesson from the fact that the one special edition that made the most sense didn't sell out. The PJ edition is an amazing car but they are still on lots brand new today. I think they are diluting their own market with all these special editions.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

They should have stuck with the base models and pushed them as special editions. Each car is a special edition in its own way. Especially to us.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Say When
3rd Gear Member

Saleen still makes cars?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:47 AM
scspeedster
2nd Gear Member

Saleen isn't doing much different than Ford - everyday you turn around and Ford has introduced a new re-make of one of the Mustang Classics - true, the 05 Mustang body is the best they have created in a long time, but do we need to relive every Mustang ever made? Bullitt again, Mach 1, Boss, Cobra, Shelby Cobra, Twister.

Looks like Saleen is doing the same thing, have something for everyone and cash in on the current bodystyle before it's changed to something ho-hum which I'm sure is just around the corner - justlike before.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
nrcollectibles
2nd Gear Member

The dash plaques for all the cars I've seen say that the car is #xxx out of 500. It doesn't matter what the edition is. It doesn't matter if the bumper number says 15 or 15RF or 15AF. It doesn't matter if the literature says there are only 100 of that particular edition. Could they be making no more than 500 vehicles this year? If so, that would be only one third the production from last year.

Or it could mean that they are just using up the dash plaques from last years PJs!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nrcollectibles

The dash plaques for all the cars I've seen say that the car is #xxx out of 500. It doesn't matter what the edition is. It doesn't matter if the bumper number says 15 or 15RF or 15AF. It doesn't matter if the literature says there are only 100 of that particular edition. Could they be making no more than 500 vehicles this year? If so, that would be only one third the production from last year.

Or it could mean that they are just using up the dash plaques from last years PJs!
The Red Flags and the red, white, and blue things are worked into the overall S/C production. No different than how the Hollywood Horsepower cars were worked into the overall S281 production in 2003.

If my mind works. The S281, S281 S/C, S302 E, H302, H302 S/C, and the Sterling Edition are all separate runs. So... you could have six 01s this year.

Eh. Since the numbers are/were almost meaningless before. Not much of a issue.

Saleen Inc is trying to move cars, create interest and maybe push these "new" '08s as a different choice than those "new" 2007s and "new" 2006s still hangin' around the lots.

Or they took a page from Roush. R cars, Classic, Boyd thing, Stage 1-3, V6 & GT Sports, Shaker, 40A, Drag Pak, Trak Pak, Black Jack, Roadster thing, P51... and I'm probably missing a few.

Quick Reply: Specialty Edition Saleens?