Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

my saleen falls on its face

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:52 AM
steve75
2nd Gear Member

Default my saleen falls on its face

My 05 salleen has 450 rwhp with mickey thompson 26x11.5 slicks. I finally got to go to the track last night, after being rained out for a month. Very disapointed. I only got to run twice. The first run i cut a 1.80 60ft (i know i need to practice) the car went 12.77@108. I should have a mph of 115-116. so im way off. The second run i cut a 1.9 60ft and went 13.6@101. Ive had allot of fast cars but this is my first twin screw and im not very happy.the car feels like it just doesnt have it. On all my other sc cars ive had a boost bypass. Is it nessasary on this car and could that be my problem. By the way, it was 73 last night with clear skys and i live in missouri. Opinions wanted
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

Default RE: my saleen falls on its face

My original assesment doesn't seem so crazy now, huh?

What air pressure did you run the MT's at?
Are you spinning your tires coming out of the hole or bogging?
What RPM's did you launch at?
Are you in 3rd or 4th gear at the finish?
How full was your gas tank?
Was the engine heatsoaked when you ran?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Saleen05797
4th Gear Member

Polk, what do you recommend for people bogging off the line? Does it just take practice? I haven't had my car at the track yet but I've been practicing launching at about 3k rpm. Feathering the gas is pretty tough haha
Old 06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Saleen05797
Polk, what do you recommend for people bogging off the line? Does it just take practice? I haven't had my car at the track yet but I've been practicing launching at about 3k rpm. Feathering the gas is pretty tough haha
Bogging at the line, at the track, usually means that the track is sticky and your RPM's are too low. Its a delicate balance, sometime you win sometimes you lose, but when you hit it just right you'll know it.

The trick is, at the same track, on the same day, you may have to very your launch RPM's as conditions change.

There's no perfect answer, on a common grudge night you might not be able to go above 2500, but at a big event, 3750 is the magic number.

When I launch, I'm 'all in', I don't feather anything.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:23 PM
steve75
2nd Gear Member

I ran 12psi first and then 15psi in tires
Very very slightbog on the first and i bogged on the the second run
5200rpm on first and 4700 on the second
fourth gear on the first and barley fourth on the second
gas was between 1/4 and half
engine cool first run engine warm second run
IM not a pro but all the probs ive had running other cars have been fixed by geting in a little practice in the seat. But this car just seams gutless. Is there anything it could be like the tune orbypass valve.

ORIGINAL: PolkThug

My original assesment doesn't seem so crazy now, huh?

What air pressure did you run the MT's at?
Are you spinning your tires coming out of the hole or bogging?
What RPM's did you launch at?
Are you in 3rd or 4th gear at the finish?
How full was your gas tank?
Was the engine heatsoaked when you ran?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:49 PM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steve75

Now your just being a jerk. Dude you dont know me or how i drive. with 450rwhp and 450 torque if i dont run at least a 12.1 with slicks i shouldnt be driving this car. 11.5 to 13.5 is like telling your wife youll be home for dinner between 4 and 8 and showing up a 7 pist off because you diner is cold . if you dont want to help and all you want to be is a dumb *** then keep your smart *** commitsto yourself.

Haha, this was from the other thread. Who's the jerk now? By the way, a 12.77 and a 13.6 are both slower than 12.1.... so maybe you should take your own advice since you don't listen to what others have to say. Not trying to be an ***... but don't come to the forums with the attitude, and then take out your frustrations on seasoned members who are very knowledgeable on things in the Mustang world. Be respectful, and you'll get much better tips than when you come in here with a chip on your shoulder.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:04 PM
steve75
2nd Gear Member

I do listen when some one has something constuctive to say. I never had a chip on my shoulder.He gave me a very very lame answer so all i want was something constuctive. ever since that form polk has been very helpful. You on the other hand oviously dont have anything good to say, so go away.

ORIGINAL: IWinULose

ORIGINAL: steve75

Now your just being a jerk. Dude you dont know me or how i drive. with 450rwhp and 450 torque if i dont run at least a 12.1 with slicks i shouldnt be driving this car. 11.5 to 13.5 is like telling your wife youll be home for dinner between 4 and 8 and showing up a 7 pist off because you diner is cold . if you dont want to help and all you want to be is a dumb *** then keep your smart *** commitsto yourself.

Haha, this was from the other thread. Who's the jerk now? By the way, a 12.77 and a 13.6 are both slower than 12.1.... so maybe you should take your own advice since you don't listen to what others have to say. Not trying to be an ***... but don't come to the forums with the attitude, and then take out your frustrations on seasoned members who are very knowledgeable on things in the Mustang world. Be respectful, and you'll get much better tips than when you come in here with a chip on your shoulder.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:06 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Are you getting full boost on the track? Keeping an eye on your boost gauge? Maybe your getting belt slip.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:19 PM
PolkThug
5th Gear Member

With the bypass valve, you may need to screw in the screw that the little arm hits. Its what the arm swings down and hits when you go into boost (see my vid), if the screw is out too far you won't get full boost.

The other culprit can be the Spanish Oak computer. Unhook your negative battery terminal for a minute, then put it back on and drive the car around like you stole it. I know it sounds crazy but it works.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM
desant89
2nd Gear Member

Wow, a lot to look at. I am hoping to get to thestrip this coming Thursday for the first time. I am really inexperienced. On the street, it seems like I can drive, but we know how that goes. I ran my 03 Z06 one time, and ran a 13.3, the next guy that bought it from me ran a 12.4 on his first run.....I have an 06SC with the JDM stage 2 kit (3.4 pulley). I will be on street tires too. I am really expecting less than I hoped for after reading this thread.. I was actually expecting anywhere in the 12's, and would be happy with that.

Quick Reply: my saleen falls on its face