Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

Default Muffler question

So I have an 05 s281 and have installed an O/R h-pipe, intake and tune. I think the exhaust sounds alright but has room to be improved. I went on a car cruise this weekend and when I passed people at a 25-3k rpm area they said it sounded like fire crackers and was way 2 loud. My thinking is that the square tips are to blame. Does anyone else have this problem? I am considering replacing the magnaflows with flowmasters with just dumps. The center tips would be welded into place to keep it looking stock.

HELP
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Heffling

Well, with offroad pipes, it's going to be very loud. I would get a friend to sit in and rev up for you and make sure it doesn't sound like missed detonations or anything along those lines.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

deff not detonations.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

?????
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM
VistaBlue GT
2nd Gear Member

flowmasters will sound worse IMO.. flows sound verry tin canny to me
Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

so does this magnaflow system.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 PM
VistaBlue GT
2nd Gear Member

I reccomend Borla or Corsa's for your Saleen. Beautiful car by the way.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, yeah I just gotta find one that will fit. there isnt much room.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by "The S"
Thanks, yeah I just gotta find one that will fit. there isnt much room.
Everything in your post has nothing to do with reality any more than my post count is making your exhaust sound bad.

The problem with the car is that you combined an off-road mid pipe with the Magnaflow mufflers. That extremely loud firecracker noise is the exact result that happens every single time you do that.

If you want your exhaust to sound good find an exhaust you like COPY it, it's not easy innovating with these cars. I went through almost all the possible major revisions of my exhaust system. 3 sets of longtubes 3 mid pipes/cats, both the magnaflow and the flowmaster setup, 4 different other types of mufflers that were custom welded in and sometimes changing more than one thing or more than two things or reinstalling parts I had uninstalled. I even elongated the exhaust tips to change their sound and really the exhaust tips are all that's stock lol. Eventually at the end of the process I had my own set of one-off uniquely chambered mufflers built courtesy of Flowmaster for my car with an aftermarket set of American Racing catted longtube headers. Part of that was of course because the car required an almost free flowing exhaust because it wasn't making the expected power, but yeah.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
"The S"
2nd Gear Member

jeebas no need to be a dick. I looked high and low for the answer and couldnt fond it but thanks, it sounds like you figured it out. The only thing I wanted to do was replace the magnaflows with flowmasters and have only dumps. LT's are in the future so maybe I will go your route.

Quick Reply: Muffler question