Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

Rough estimate of what a 1990 Saleen SC basket case is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
psi365

Default Rough estimate of what a 1990 Saleen SC basket case is worth?

I'm new to this forum but have started to read some of the threads in the section. I've been looking to buy a fox body Saleen for a few months now and haven't found anything near me (I live in IL). I emailed a place that had a few foxes come through there.They presently don't have any except as the guy put it a real 1990 Saleen SC that needs to be put back together.

I email him back as to what that means. He replied that the car had an engine fire and it would need an engine, interior, and some misc parts. IT would also come with a 90 GT donor car. The car supposedly has some of the body work done with a blue/silver Chevron strip (what is a Chevron stripe? SCs should have the two stripes on the front fender)He went further and said to make an offer on the package, but needless to say am very leery on it.

Of course I email him back in which he still hasn't even given what parts of the interior I'd need, how damaged the engine is/was or if it comes with the car, any pics of the car, and if the body work is complete. He also hasn't sent me the VIN to even verify that the car is even an SC. He did give me the bumper number and it is #16.

So with the fact I know the car is rare if it is an SC. The problem seems to be no matter what I could never make it original ever again since it is missing the original engine and possibly the interior. What would be a fair price for this basket case be?

Thanks for reading
Chris

C/N Looking for a Saleen fox body come across a 1990 SC that seems to be a basket case and missing a lot of what would make this car rare. Car comes with a donor car (how much of the donor car is there I have no clue). Car is missing the original engine, and possibly the complete interior. What is the car roughly worth, and is it even worth buying?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
Twilightvert
1st Gear Member

Call Mark at Performance Autosport. He will have all the info. that you need about Saleens and be the best guage for price. His website is performanceautosport.com . Good luck.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:45 PM
psi365

Thanks for the tip. I know what information I'm giving is sketchy, but that's all the information I currently have about this possible project.

I do have another question and that being a obvious one. Does this even sound like a project worth getting into knowing that the car could never be original again (which in my mind devalues the car no matter what)?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

psi365, any project that involves reincarnating a Saleen can be a worthwhile project, there are at least two articles in the Powerrr magazine that the SCOA puts out monthly about ground up resto's, and as Bob stated a little phone time with Mark Lamaskin may be well worth it.

http://www.performanceautosport.com/

ADDRESS
12927 Plaza Drive
Suite B
Richmond, Virginia 23233

(804) 784-8851
(804) 784-8852 Fax

If you get it, there are many people who would enjoy your build project so keep us in the loop.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:04 PM
jdivad
2nd Gear Member

Hi there,

The 90-0016 SC car was turned into an open track / competition car during it's early days. Earlier this decade the vehicle did turns on autotrader.com and eBay. Then hung-around a western specialty dealer, before making its trip to Il.

The donor 1991 GT hatchback was supposedly a low mile example. It's a matching color scheme car for this 1990 SC. The remains of the 1991 GT were listed on Craigslist about a year ago. (Assuming they went through with dismantling the GT). The GT supposedly still had the factory interior shipping plastic.

I believe I have the classified ads for this vehicle filed before the "fire."

Take care.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Twilightvert
1st Gear Member

90SC Saleens are worth quite a bit, but it is all relative. Whether it is worth it will still depend on what you buy it for, what is missing, and what it will take to replace it. There are quite a few people do ground up restos on Saleens already and the SC's are near the top of the foxbody food chain. Keep us posted.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 AM
psi365

Thanks a lot for all the information on this car. So it is a true SC?

I know I'm going to sound stupid here, but what are the main differences between a regular Saleen, and an SC? I know the SCs came supercharged, had the two angled stripes on the front fender, different wheels, and I thought they had a different front airdamn. I also know you could get an option roll bar and electronically controlled suspension system (magnetic ride type of system). Are there any other differences?

If it was used as an open track racer that would mean the interior would be gutted right? That could explain what happened to the interior, but again isn't the interior of an SC a SC specific color scheme? Since there were so few made it would be easy to say that I would not be able to replace it since they probably don't make any sort of reproduction stuff for it.

The guy I've been talking to said that the car came from Vegas with around 25k on it. It had an electrical fire under the hood and it has been apart since. I'd be getting both cars although he said it was a 90 Gt but it seems like you may have some inside info on this car already. If you do I'd really appreciate a pm with any other addition info you may have. Do by any chance remember or know what they were asking before?

Right now as it stands I'm pretty much looking to spend at most around $10k for a Saleen foxbody. Maybe slightly more for if it is "the car." Going off of ebay (since that seems to be the only place I can find one) I think I am close money wise to get a good one (meaning not a show car, but a good driver that may need some minor work). Am I better off getting a driver, or trying to piece this one back together? Again I still don't know what they want for this thing and he keeps pushing the rarity which makes me believe a lot. I just don't know how to value a car that the bulk of what makes it rare isnt there.

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Last edited by psi365; 01-27-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 AM
scspeedster
2nd Gear Member

Have you verified the vin & bumper #? might be the first step - Send me a PM and I'll look it up - Just a thought

Any Saleen is worth bringing back to life, especially one with some history.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM
psi365

Originally Posted by scspeedster
Have you verified the vin & bumper #? might be the first step - Send me a PM and I'll look it up - Just a thought

Any Saleen is worth bringing back to life, especially one with some history.
As of right now I only have the bumper number. I guess I was asking in the long run if it would be better for me to buy a turn key car that may need some minor work or this car that could even though it is rarer can never be original again.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 PM
mikebna
3rd Gear Member

psi you mentioned ebay as being the only place to find one, but have you checked craiglist or been to performance auto's website to look at them? 10K sounds like allot for two cars in peices when you can get a turnkey car for about the same.

Quick Reply: Rough estimate of what a 1990 Saleen SC basket case is worth?