Saleen, Roush and Boss Mustangs Discussions on Saleen, Roush, and late model Shinoda Boss Models within. SVT models, check the 4.6L section.

06 Saleen Extreme - Advice / Supercharger Rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:35 AM
06saleenextreme

Default 06 Saleen Extreme - Advice / Supercharger Rebuild...

Hey all,

Some of you may remember me posting a huge thread a couple years ago about all of these major issues I've had with my 06 Saleen Extreme. I bought the car new and it has 12,000 miles on it as of today and I've hardly driven the car due to a VERY long list of problems I've had.

The car has been sitting for almost 3 years now because of an obnoxious knocking noise that the shop working on my car told me was a "rod knock" and my motor needed to be rebuilt. I also sheared off the tip of my spark pulgs which have recently been replaced.

Long story short, I've recently had the car looked at by another mechanic from a well known shop which I'd rather not disclose that told me it's probably either the cam phaser or supercharger noise. After removing the belt, what do you know, sounds healthy.

7 years, $20,000 and no warranty later, here i am with a bunch of shops telling me the car will sit in their shop for 6 months before they look at it, and when they do, they are going inside the motor and will not put it back together with whatever Saleen put in there in the first place.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations to avoid a $10k bill for an unnecessary rebuild? How/where do i send this blower to be rebuilt? i am so lost and confused...what would you guys do if you were me?? im spinning my wheels over here...

PS - I did have a long conversation with a gentleman a long time ago with the same year/model/color E (tungsten) as me that had the exact same issues. If you read this, please chime in and/or PM me your contact info so i can call for some advice.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

I would call Brenspeed and see what Brent has to say.

How in the heck did it shear off the plugs?!?
So, if you take the belt off the SC, the knock goes away? If it does then your engine is ok, it is not a rod knock. Saleen's are noisy superchargers but mostly they sound like chains dragging. The SC may need to be rebuilt, but a even new one would cost alot less than $10k.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM
06saleenextreme

I am familiar with the rock crusher noise; this sounds like a rod knock but is not consistent. I may have overspun the blower and threw a bearing. The knocking is not consistent like a rod knock would be.

The plugs were sheared off because the ones saleen put in the motors in 2006 were the ones that had the spark piece that wrapped all the way around instead of half way like normal. There was a lot of flak with these having problems in ford engines. Not sure what this is called, but that tip was sheared off on one plug and could have been sucked up inside the S/C for all i know. They have since been replaced. It's been a couple of years and all the parts are stored right now so please excuse my memory lapse.

How hard can it be to rebuild a supercharger? don't you think a regular mechanic could do this on the side for me without spending a fortune?
Old 05-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

Since you're in Michigan, I'd check with Alternative Automotive Technologies at http://altautotech.com/ in Troy. There's a few ex-Saleen people there that can probably help.

You can also contact Saleen in California for a rebuild, and it does take some special parts, http://www.saleen.com.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

You can pull it & ship it off to http://www.pse.us/.