Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Blowing Fuses Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 PM
wvisker

Default Blowing Fuses Help

I have a 68 Mustang with a recently replaced wiring harness. It blows a 30 amp tail light fuse. I've narrowed it down to a wire that runs from the headlight switch and connects directly into both tail lights. I know that the problem must be in this wire somewhere because when i unplug it from either the switch or the lights the fuse no longer blows. It still gives me rear blinkers but no brake or tail lights. When it is all in place everything works for about a minute to 30 seconds before the fuse blows. I'm thinking that replacing the wire would fix the problem but i'm not entirely sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
-Wyatt
Old 11-22-2017, 12:02 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wvisker
I have a 68 Mustang with a recently replaced wiring harness. It blows a 30 amp tail light fuse. I've narrowed it down to a wire that runs from the headlight switch and connects directly into both tail lights. I know that the problem must be in this wire somewhere because when i unplug it from either the switch or the lights the fuse no longer blows. It still gives me rear blinkers but no brake or tail lights. When it is all in place everything works for about a minute to 30 seconds before the fuse blows. I'm thinking that replacing the wire would fix the problem but i'm not entirely sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
-Wyatt
Almost certain that the feed wire you disconnect is shorted somewhere to ground. Difficult as hell to locate where. Cut that wire off close to the headlight switch and at the "working end" by the tail lights, run a new wire in it's place. Solder both ends at the connections, tape up carefully, and you should be in business.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 AM
wvisker

Thanks that's what I was thinking too. Will probably get back on how it works a few days after thanksgiving
Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Thanks that's what I was thinking too. Will probably get back on how it works a few days after thanksgiving
If you go the route of putting in a new ground wire, try one bulb first, then check the others. Depending on the location of the loss of ground connection, grounding just one may fix the whole problem. If it doesn't, go on to the next bulb, then check again.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:26 AM
wvisker

I don't quite understand what you mean by a new ground wire. I'm running the 3 bulb kit and the only wires running to them are the blinker wire and the tail lights wire. The tail light wire runs directly to the switch and is the one I plan on replacing. Is this what you're talking about? thanks
Old 11-23-2017, 10:22 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

I don't quite understand what you mean by a new ground wire. I'm running the 3 bulb kit and the only wires running to them are the blinker wire and the tail lights wire. The tail light wire runs directly to the switch and is the one I plan on replacing. Is this what you're talking about? thanks
Okay, I forgot way back then, the bulb socket got it's ground, I think, by being screwed to the body, metal to metal. But let me check my '68 Shop Manual, to be sure. Get back tomorrow. imp
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM
wvisker

I went ahead and restrung that wire today. Lasted about a minute before it blew the same fuse as before. With a brand new wire still blowing fuses I'm thinking that the other one might be good too. Could the problem be in the head light switch or the lights themselves?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:37 AM
wvisker

I messed with it a little more and it blew the first fuse in about the same time frame as before but I've been trying it more now and it's not blowing. I'm thinking that I'm going to try it some more so that I'm completely sure the problem is solved before I put this car back together.