5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1994 Mustang GT issues getting power back/Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 AM
1994MustangGt

Default 1994 Mustang GT issues getting power back/Smoke

To start off this, we took the motor out and checked everything, took out the tranny as well. Right now the one issues we are having is smoke out of the dipstick.

- All cylinders were tested while cold/warm and tested out fantastic, so it can’t be rings.
- Timing is set to 14 degrees with cam. Have messed with it more but seems to idle and rev up fine where it is.
- The injectors looked loose in the holes, but lubed them and they went as far as they would.
- When put under load it will die, and won’t keep rpms.
- Oil pressure when cold works, when warmed up I have 0, unless revved above 1200 or so.
- Coolant seems to be not circulating when I got it, but think we fixed that issue.

Cant think of anything else. But need some help.. been sitting for 2 months trying to figure it all out.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:15 AM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

When oil pressure drops to 0 at idle or after coming to a stop,with the engine at operating temp,its normally a sign your main and rod bearings are shot.If the engine begins making a knocking sound,when you come to a stop or at idle when the pressure drops to 0,thats a verification the bearings are shot.The crank and rods ride on a film of oil and once the bearings wear out,the clearance increases between these components and once the engine warms up,the oil gets thinner and this allows the rod to start rocking back and forth on the cranks rod journal.

Last edited by wbrockstar; 03-22-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:34 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

I agree I had the same problem with mine a few years ago, the rod bearing got wiped out when I blew a head gasket from the coolant, you might be looking at a rebuild or a new engine

The only saving grace is that you can get 5 litres for next to nothing and they aren't all that hard to swap out.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:14 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1994MustangGt
- The injectors looked loose in the holes, but lubed them and they went as far as they would.
- When put under load it will die, and won’t keep rpms.
If the pintle caps are missing on the injectors,it'll cause the orings to slide up onto the injector body,which can cause a vacuum leak.If the injectors arent sealing at the oring,vacuum leaks will also occur.If the leak is too large,the engine will die at startup or as soon as you put the engine under load.Carb cleaner or propane is normally used to locate vacuum leaks by the diy guy,but it wouldnt be safe to use at the injector oring area.A vacuum leak draws these chemicals into it and causes an idle change when one is present.
If your bearings are that worn,ring seal could be bad too,causing stalling.A vacuum test with a gauge will further verify engine condition.