V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Building Essex v6

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 PM
JdmStang

Default Building Essex v6

Hello everyone my girlfriend and I recently purchased a project car! Got this v6 5 speed stang for a steal of $500. Since then I’ve dropped a good portion of money on restoring the interior and some minor exterior repairs. Recently the engine has begun leaking oil from the rear main seal (and the valve cover gaskets are leaking too). I can also hear the oil hitting the oil pan after a long drive and the car is slow!
So so my question is
Where can I find a quality rebuild kit with everything I’ll need from gaskets to pistons to an oil pump?
Should I build the engine or should I go forced induction on a mostly stock engine till it blows up? Or should I go the full route of building and turbo? I have a garage where I can build the engine outside of the car and then hopefully swap the old with the new in a weekend or two. I just want to get the best bang for your buck because I’m not the ritchest guy. Plus my girl is typically the one driving it and she demands that I make it faster than her best friends ecoboost lol

Ive found a nice 98k Essex 3.8 out of an 01 Stang. I’ve heard good things about SuperSix Motorsports, they have a “Powerpak” that includes ported and polished upper and lower intake manifolds. “Stage 3 heads” and a cam for around 3k. Does anyone know how these parts hold up? I can’t seem to find many threads or videos of these powerpak mustangs.

thanks for the help!
Old 02-16-2019, 03:22 PM
delling3
1st Gear Member

Seems like a better approach might be an engine swap. Find a decent, low mile 4.6L and do the swap. Less money than what your describing. '99 or newer are preferable,
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM
JdmStang

Originally Posted by delling3
Seems like a better approach might be an engine swap. Find a decent, low mile 4.6L and do the swap. Less money than what your describing. '99 or newer are preferable,
How would a swap be cheaper? Wouldn’t I need a new ecu, harness, fuel pump, transmission, clutch kit, flywheel and then I can start building the 2v? That sounds more complicated than rebuilding a v6, slapin some FI or nos on that b**** and then bolting it right back up to where it came from
Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Because an Ecoboost based mustang is almost as fast as the previous S197 Gen GT (4.6 3V) and a New Edge V6 3.8L like you have will take a lot ($$$) to get there reliably. A mild tune on the Ecoboost and it's performance gets a pretty modest bump.

If you are going to stick with the V6 for simplicity sake, you need to start by looking at stroking the motor, then FI. Stroking the motor will give you a much better platform than the base V6. Depending on how wild you go you'll get the forged crank and rods you need for serious boost.
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=16
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

Even then you'll be limited on power by the V6. A V8 would give you many more options and higher power capabilities.

Also, is that Essex V6 and Auto or manual tranny? The autos give up a lot of speed due to their 4 spd configuration. The ecoboost have a 6 or 10 speed auto geared for acceleration.

Last edited by Derf00; 02-19-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM
JdmStang

Originally Posted by Derf00
Because an Ecoboost based mustang is almost as fast as the previous S197 Gen GT (4.6 3V) and a New Edge V6 3.8L like you have will take a lot ($$$) to get there reliably. A mild tune on the Ecoboost and it's performance gets a pretty modest bump.

If you are going to stick with the V6 for simplicity sake, you need to start by looking at stroking the motor, then FI. Stroking the motor will give you a much better platform than the base V6. Depending on how wild you go you'll get the forged crank and rods you need for serious boost.
http://www.moranav6racing.com/catego...?CategoryID=16
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

Even then you'll be limited on power by the V6. A V8 would give you many more options and higher power capabilities.

Also, is that Essex V6 and Auto or manual tranny? The autos give up a lot of speed due to their 4 spd configuration. The ecoboost have a 6 or 10 speed auto geared for acceleration.
thanks for the info. I guess my next question would be; is the T5 in my car going to handle power? Should I buy a built T5 or a different transmission? Where can I buy a built T5 or another reliable tranny
Old 02-19-2019, 02:40 PM
delling3
1st Gear Member

Well, from a cost standpoint, I think you could source a GT "donor car" for pretty cheap. Swap the parts you need as you go, and part out what you can from the leftovers. As I read your original post, you were talking about rebuilding the 3.8, and adding intake, heads and cam for $3K. I think you can get a donor car for less than that. This all assumes that you are going to use the engine drivetrain as it came from the factory. If you are factoring in spending a bunch of $$ on building the 4.6, then yeah, you are probably right that it ain't gonna be cheaper.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:54 PM
JdmStang

Well, from a cost standpoint, I think you could source a GT "donor car" for pretty cheap. Swap the parts you need as you go, and part out what you can from the leftovers. As I read your original post, you were talking about rebuilding the 3.8, and adding intake, heads and cam for $3K. I think you can get a donor car for less than that. This all assumes that you are going to use the engine drivetrain as it came from the factory. If you are factoring in spending a bunch of $$ on building the 4.6, then yeah, you are probably right that it ain't gonna be cheaper.

hmm a donor might be the way to go thanks for the tip. Would it be better to find an old pushrod 5.0 from an sn95 or fox? Or is the 4.6 better? I know the 4.6 makes more hp but as far as tuning potential which is better?
Old 02-19-2019, 03:48 PM
delling3
1st Gear Member

A 5.0 liter is more "user friendly" as there is more aftermarket support for the motor. Easier to work on too. But since your car is a "New Edge" SN-95, you may find that the swap would be easier with a 4.6L. For example, you won't need to swap the K member - they are different between the 5.0 and 4.6. Either can be done, but more involved.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM
JdmStang

A 5.0 liter is more "user friendly" as there is more aftermarket support for the motor. Easier to work on too. But since your car is a "New Edge" SN-95, you may find that the swap would be easier with a 4.6L. For example, you won't need to swap the K member - they are different between the 5.0 and 4.6. Either can be done, but more involved.
noted ty