South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

What tha Hell is TX state Law on mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Default What tha Hell is TX state Law on mods

I'm a Sailor in Afghanistan, stationed in San Diego. California state law is rediculous, and i stay paranoid with what power adders i use/dont use. I was wondering how do i figure out what the hell is legal or not in TX? Long tube headers? Superchargers? Lights? Underglow? Front Liscense, ect. Anyone able to gimme a list of DONT BUY's? Or some rules of thumb for what to get or not?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:19 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

in my opinion uderglow should be i dont find them attractive and it seems like would be a "hey cop look at me"
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
sir lancelot
1st Gear Member

+1 tncruiser. i've been pulled over multiple times for having no front license plate but each time the cop just told me to put it back on and let me go.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:44 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

Any ideas on the do's and don'ts of performance mods? In cally i can only get the x-charger w/stock gt airbox, my tuner is illegal, my headers are illegal, my throttle body is illegal. I had to get the itty bitty K&N CAI with EC number, ect. I know TX isnt as **** as all that but where do they start drawing lines?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:58 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sir lancelot
+1 tncruiser. i've been pulled over multiple times for having no front license plate but each time the cop just told me to put it back on and let me go.
same here i always get pulled over due to no LP in the front, but they havent given me a ticket yet...something else they hassle ppl about is tint...55% in the front, 35% on sides, and up to limo in the rear

as far as performance parts i think all goes except for the fact that you must have an exhaust of some sort and cant be cut-offs inorder to pass emitions test
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

underglow is legal but a cop is going to pull you over and tell you its not, so better to just not have it..make sure window tint is legal, they will make you tear it off right there or impound your car is you dont.. and just make sure your exhaust isnt ridiculously loud and obnoxious...other than that ruffrydertx is right, anything goes
Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

and just in case not sayin you're a ricer or anything but cant have red lights facing the front, or lights on the window washer nozzle...also to anyone that has tinted tail lights in tx might wana print you a copy of Texas Transportation Code 547.322 and 547.323...just states that you gotta see your lights (when you hit the breaks) by at least 300' during the day and at least 1000' at night
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

IMO anyone with an underglow should be shot....just something you do to an import...another thing IMO is that american cars should be either supercharged, cammed up, or turboed....absolutely on spray...just my .02
Old 11-07-2008, 03:11 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Under car neon of color is NOT legal. Non emergancy/police cars are only allowed white, amber and red (in the rear of the vehilce only) lights.

As for exhaust, you cannot remove any pollution control (that is actually a federal law, but people don't seem to get that). So you can't legally remove cats, EGR, air pumps etc.... As for the sniffer, I forget the exact number you need to pass, but it's not that bad. Exhaust system must exit clear of the vehicle profile and be behind the passanger cabin. This means no dumps. Kick it out the side or out the back. Exhaust sound level regulations vary by city... and if you are too loud, they'll just impound the thing.

No front plate is an easy one to spot, and it give them an excuse to pull you over and ticket anything they find after that. Personally, I wouldn't give them an easy way to pull you over.

Tail light tint or tinted headlights is also another easy way to get pulled over. You cannot legally impede head or tail light transmission. It's another one of those things that a strick officer will just say "Car's not street legal, off to impound for it."
Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
MustangScott
1st Gear Member

What is the the law on window tint, and head/tail light smoke

Quick Reply: What tha Hell is TX state Law on mods