South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

New Texas law, no front license plate.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 AM
noir
2nd Gear Member

Default New Texas law, no front license plate.

Ok... Im not 100% sure about this but my friends dad, a really smart down to earth guy, told me that they just passed a law removing the requirement for a front license plate in Texas. I'm trying to find some proof of this right now, but Im pretty sure its true. Anyone else hear of this?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:26 AM
TTUSuperman

Default RE: New Texas law, no front license plate.

well, i am up late and bored, as a result i looked up the law about plates on the texas dps website. it says that u must have 2 plates on your car, on in front and rear. one interesting thing is that most cops will try and get u for not having it on the very front of your vehicle. according to this, position doesnt matter, it just has to be on the front of your car. if u want to read for yourself, the link is...
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...htm#502.404.00
it is a ways down the page. it is statute # 502.404
Old 11-08-2005, 04:26 PM
3Tours

ORIGINAL: TTUSuperman

well, i am up late and bored, as a result i looked up the law about plates on the texas dps website. it says that u must have 2 plates on your car, on in front and rear. one interesting thing is that most cops will try and get u for not having it on the very front of your vehicle. according to this, position doesnt matter, it just has to be on the front of your car. if u want to read for yourself, the link is...
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statu...htm#502.404.00
it is a ways down the page. it is statute # 502.404
I work for Meadows Place Police Department and no law has been passed for the removal of the front license plate. I have 13 years in law enforcement and I have never messed with anyone who has the license plate visible from the front of the vehicle in a place other than the front bumper. As long as the plate is visible from the front is all that matters. I do wish though that they would pass this law so I can take mine off. I have been living in North Carolina for the past four years where there is no requirement for a front license plate and I have a US Marine license plate on the front.

What I want to do though is take it off, fix the holes on the bumper and paint it becuase it looks so much better.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:18 AM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

I got pulled over once for something unrelated. The cop told me to move my plate from the dash to the bumper.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM
sewermonster

My wife has driven around for years in her SUV with no front plate with no problems. Seems like its a selectively enforced law.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Fast351Back

I registered my 68 as an antique, got an antique plate good for 2 years, and do not have to have any inspection. They spouted something about parades only at the registration office. They also said I only needed to have the REAR plate. Shoot, I love a parade, always going to one if I ever get challenged on it. Don't have enough guts to put plate of choice on front yet though. I think your car has to be 25 years old in Texas to qualify. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:45 AM
MustangJessica

that would be nice if they passed that law
Old 04-02-2006, 02:26 PM
94formulaLT1

Just this past week my girlfriend was pulled over three times...i s**t you not. The first cop pulled her over only for that, the second cop pulled her over for that and then proceeded to remind her taht her inspection was up in four days(umm ya but its not up yet so leave her alone), and the third pulled her over for turning into the second lane rather then the first (it was 1.am. leave her alone no one else was even around), but also told her about her plate. two of the cops were selma cops which are jerks and one a san antonio cop. sometimes i think that just didnt get a good enough look at her the first time around and wanted a closer one. i guess it depends on your area whether they care or not.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:41 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

I dont run front plates on my cars... Its ugly... anyway, Ive been pulled over for it a couple times, but just warnings...
Old 04-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

it is against the law in CA not to have a front plate...as you can see, my 86 does not even have the holes...20 years, and never got a ticket

Quick Reply: New Texas law, no front license plate.