South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV, VA, DE, DC, MD

GA Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Default GA Emissions

I am just wondering if anyone in GA, that lives in a county where you have emissions, that recently had there emissions done(start in 2009). Are they looking under the car to see if you have cats?

The reason I am asking is that I was telling a "mechaical "friend"" of mine that I was looking at doing an off-road x-pipe on my car......and he told me starting this year when you get your emissions done the person doing it has to look under the car to see if there are cats....So I am just wondering if that is true or not if someone can shed so light on this for me that be great.

Yeah I know, I can have someone weld up some shells of the cats to the x-pipe or just take the pipe off each year but I dont want to go throught that trouble.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:08 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRedfire03
I am just wondering if anyone in GA, that lives in a county where you have emissions, that recently had there emissions done(start in 2009). Are they looking under the car to see if you have cats?

The reason I am asking is that I was telling a "mechaical "friend"" of mine that I was looking at doing an off-road x-pipe on my car......and he told me starting this year when you get your emissions done the person doing it has to look under the car to see if there are cats....So I am just wondering if that is true or not if someone can shed so light on this for me that be great.

Yeah I know, I can have someone weld up some shells of the cats to the x-pipe or just take the pipe off each year but I dont want to go throught that trouble.
I had mine done last year here in Cherokee County and I honestly don't remember them looking under the car to verify whether or not I had cats. The just plugged their machine up to my computer to make sure I wasn't tripping any codes, put the sniffer in my muffler, checked to make sure my gas filler neck sealed properly and ran my car for about 10-15 minutes (just a guess). I passed with no issues.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:23 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Yeah the same for me in oct. when I got mine done..... but my "mechical friend"(wait lets cut the sh*t I really dont like the guy and dont know why I keep calling him a friend) but anyways...... he said starting in 2009 they are going to look under the car to see if you have cats or not, dont know why but that is what he said.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:10 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

between my last post and now, I just drove up to the shop and had my emissions done (realized my tags are due this week). my paperwork shows that they are suppose to check to see whether the cats are present or not, but the guys there said that the computer would tell them, so they don't even bother looking

btw, passed without any issues
Old 05-07-2009, 03:54 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

I guess it is a good thing I posted this thread....or you would have forgotten..
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

*Double Post*
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

I'm getting mine done this weekend. mine low enough they can't look anyway
without putting it on a lift
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
the computer would tell them, so they don't even bother looking
+1...
I can't think of a way to get around it besides changing your midpipe to a catted system when emissions come around.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRedfire03
I guess it is a good thing I posted this thread....or you would have forgotten..
that's exactly what I told my wife....LOL!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Well my car is lowered and that is how I look at it. The only way they will see if I have cats or not if they put it on a lift.....I really dont want to go throught the time every year to switch out the mid pipe....Thanks for the in put guys, I just wanted to see if anyone had an issue were they looked to see if there were cats.

Quick Reply: GA Emissions