Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

Default Carb Question

I'm looking into buying a used holley 650dp. Only problem is that the choke horns have been milled out on it. My question is being my car is mostly stock minus a stealth intake is it a good buy to get a carb with no choke horns and what would the down falls be if i purchased it.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The biggest problem is cold start up. If you can deal with a longer warm up time and cold stumble you will be fine. I run Holley HP carbs on my street cars and just deal with the extended warm up time and having to keep the cold idle up by foot. Before the HP series I ran Holleys with the choke towers milled off for better performance. Thats really about the only downfall.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
The biggest problem is cold start up. If you can deal with a longer warm up time and cold stumble you will be fine. I run Holley HP carbs on my street cars and just deal with the extended warm up time and having to keep the cold idle up by foot. Before the HP series I ran Holleys with the choke towers milled off for better performance. Thats really about the only downfall.
I only drive my car in the summer so i assume i would just have to wait a few minutes till i drive away. But will i notice any throttle reponse differences and would it increase my cfm's.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrshleepy76
I only drive my car in the summer so i assume i would just have to wait a few minutes till i drive away. But will i notice any throttle reponse differences and would it increase my cfm's.
The limiting factor on your car will be the head flow. If anything with a stock 5.0 it borders on a bit much carb. I doubt you notice much of a differance but it will depend on what kind of shape and CFM of the carb you had before and how well it was tuned and the same for the carb that will replace it. It's a good size carb that will support a good bit of power as your engine is modded. Like anything else it's all in the tune.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

The limiting factor on your car will be the head flow. If anything with a stock 5.0 it borders on a bit much carb. I doubt you notice much of a differance but it will depend on what kind of shape and CFM of the carb you had before and how well it was tuned and the same for the carb that will replace it. It's a good size carb that will support a good bit of power as your engine is modded. Like anything else it's all in the tune.
I am looking into getting a set of GT40 heads as well as a ford racing cam. Just have to figure out what cam would be best for my application. There is two carbs to choose from 600 or 650 both double pumpers. The carb i have on now is stock i was told the cfm was like 570
Old 01-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

You can get a better cam than one of Ford Alphabet cams. You will be OK with the 650
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

You can get a better cam than one of Ford Alphabet cams. You will be OK with the 650
which cam would you recommend for my motor and also i have a friend that has a holley street avenger carb 670 that he offered to sell not too old either do you think that might be pushing it
Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The 670 Street Avenger is actually the better choice because it's Vac secondary. As far as Cam selection goes I need to know a lot more about your car. Rear gear ratio, transmission, exhaust and weight, year ,etc
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

The 670 Street Avenger is actually the better choice because it's Vac secondary. As far as Cam selection goes I need to know a lot more about your car. Rear gear ratio, transmission, exhaust and weight, year ,etc
year is 85 i have to still install the 3.73 gears i have purchased trans is stock and exhaust is flowmaster headers with BBK xpipe and out with flowmaster 40s
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

85 could be Hyd roller or Hyd Flat Tappet. If it has the stock pistons they will have no Valve releifs. Is the trans auto or manual. Cam selection will have to wait until you know exactly what you have. It was a rough year for the 5.0 with mid year changes.

Quick Reply: Carb Question