Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Help carb adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

Default Help carb adjustment

I have a new holley 670 street avenger that i seem to be having issues with. It starts up great but when warmed up i been getting high idle at 1200 rpm's. I know it has to do with the choke cause when i go to open it all the way it idles down but then dies out. Right now it one notch from being fully open. Can anyone chime in and give me some advice on what i can do to bring the idle down.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like the choke is set a little high. Try taking the choke housing and losen the screws just a little so you can rotate the chocke housing with just a little effort from your fingers(light grip). Then do this when the engine is cold. Good example engine/car sitting overnight. You want to adjust the choke so it just is able to lightly snap the choke blade completely shut. Too quick or strong of a setting will prevent the ckoke from coming all the way off when warmed up. Causing your high idle. Once you warm up the car and have the choke completely off you then need toset the idle screw that opene the throttle shaft up. Idle screw is down on the side of the carb near the throttle shaft.

If you car has low idle vacumn you will also need to change out the power valve to work with the engine vacumn it has or it will run "FAT/RICH" at idle and have poor throttle response.

Joe
Old 02-13-2009, 08:43 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

The carb is suppose to be out of the box ready but i don't think it was what i had expected. i did open the choke all the way and it did idle down but like i said dies out. It has some sort of notchs that i can feel when i push the red clip next to the choke down. I will have to look at the carb adjustment booklet and try to figure out this thing. Thanks for your input
Old 02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Check all your vac lines to make sure the install is correct. Sounds like you have a big Vac leak
Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Check all your vac lines to make sure the install is correct. Sounds like you have a big Vac leak
I doubled checked everything and all is good. I think i need to get a vacum gauge and hook it up and start adjusting
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Run the DVD that came with that Carb. It will guide you step by step. Also remember you have a big Vac connector at the back of the carb down low on the plate. I've seen a lot of people miss this one because you can't see it. But watch the DVD. Most of the time no problems with these carbs. I've seen them close out of the box but never seen one exact. every engine is differant but Holley gets them pretty close.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Run the DVD that came with that Carb. It will guide you step by step. Also remember you have a big Vac connector at the back of the carb down low on the plate. I've seen a lot of people miss this one because you can't see it. But watch the DVD. Most of the time no problems with these carbs. I've seen them close out of the box but never seen one exact. every engine is differant but Holley gets them pretty close.
The large port i have connected the power booster to it if thats the one your referring to. That one is off to the right side and i don't recall seeing another one. I'll look though thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

just tried again. the choke just wont open all the way without force. i have to push down on the red arm and then it clicks then opens. I cant figure it out
Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 PM
mrshleepy76
1st Gear Member

i figured it out the dam dial on the choke was all the way to the left. After i turned it to the right the car runs great
Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrshleepy76
i figured it out the dam dial on the choke was all the way to the left. After i turned it to the right the car runs great

I have used and worked on enough of those to know to look at choke housing. Glad you fixed it.

Joe

Quick Reply: Help carb adjustment