Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

SD VS MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
dinovfr98

Default SD VS MAF conversion

I need some help deciding what to do! I have a 1988 GT and bought a cam for it along with a bunch of other stuff but, need to figure out how to make the cam work with a speed density set up. Do I just put a carberator on it? or do i try to change the car to a MAF set up. I have a computer out of a 1993 GT that had a MAF stock. Is there a way to add the Mass Air Flow sensor with out changing the entire wiring harness?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:54 PM
427cobra

Yes there is a way to wire in the MAFS, without changing out the harness. I recall reading it on a site I found doing a google search on eec4. As I recall it was very detailed.

Depending on the cam specs, I would give you different answers. A lot of valve overlap result in low manifold vacuum. Speed density uses manifold vacuum to determine what the air flow into the engine is. I think a good tuner can cope with mild cams, but MAF handles it much better. However a large cam in and of itself requires different timing (more initial timing) and the extra air that the engine can take in can get things fairly far from what the factory tuning expects. It will need chipped and tuned even with MAF if the cam is above 230 intake durration, maybe less.

If you go to a carb you might as well change out the distributor too, because the ecu will not have the timing right. Tuning a carb and stand alone distributor requires understanding the same needs and have most of the same tools. It is just different ways to accomplish the same things. To do it yourself with EFI has a higher initial cost for the tools (and software). Since you already own the EFI system, I would say stay with it and find a good dyno tuner. EFI runs better than a carb at almost ever condition other than WOT. Long term EFI is less head aches. Once set up it just works. Carbs are affected by everything from air filters to the position of the moon.

Last edited by 427cobra; 07-11-2009 at 03:02 PM.