Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

i cant figure this one out.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 AM
svtetr

Default i cant figure this one out.

i recently got a 87 speed density 50, im more of a chevy guy. but ended up with this car at the moment. trying to have some fun wit it. since i got it i replaced the clutch, and it ran good for abit after that.. next the alternator when out. got an alternator from a junk yard off of a v6 convertable looks new and has the same connections as mine. car again ran good for a little while.(couple weeks) new battery, tensioner. then i noticed the car to kinda miss. and slowly start losing power throughout the powerband. it started running like crap when it was cold. it would pop and miss and i would have to fight to keep it on. once warmed up it would stay on but i noticed hesestation and somtimes backfiring. after that the hesistation got really bad. gave it gas and car would sputter more till it wouldnt move even with foot to the floor and backfiring. the car sits in that same position.

so i have ben trying to fix it. and learn what i can about these cars. fairly easy to work on. i started trouble shooting. i changed the fuel filter, the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing chain. set it back to TDC, and dOt to dOt on the sprockets. got another harmonic balancer.because the rubber was coming out of my old one. put the car back togther hoping it would run. dropped the dist back down with the rotor facing to the number one spark plug. turned the key and still the same crap. if i spin the dist to the left or to the right i can almost get it to start. idle will sit at like 200 or 300 then die. if i remember correctly if i spin it to much to the left it will backfire. towards the opposite direction i can get the car closer to wanting to start but no luck.

also what i forgot to say. before the car wouldnt run anymore it had a vacuum leak towards the back of the intake. it ran to a plastic peace on the firewall. im not sure at the moment but i think it said S above it. put a new ruber hose on it. its kinda snug need a bigger one but seems to work for now. and it fix my rpms from sitting high and settle faster,like a normal car does. the car has a cold air intake, xpipe, king cobra clutch, autolight plugs gapped to 48, and a msd 6a box when i plug it in the way the previous owner has it going into the coil the car seems to have more chance of starting. when i connect the stock wiring to the coil it dosnt seem like it will start at all. hope all this info helps. tried to explain the best way i could ask me if u need to know anything.

now im clueless. and not sure how to fix it. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you.

Last edited by svtetr; 01-04-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:55 PM
svtetr

39 veiws.

is it because of my sn? lol
Old 01-05-2010, 11:57 PM
svtetr

welp didnt get any help for you guys. o well. but for those of you who maybe actually read it and want to know what the problem was.

fuel pump was the culprit.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Sometimes it takes a few days for people to notice a post and respond. Did it have any codes? With an EFI car the easiest thing to do first is usually to pull codes. And sometimes fuel pump problems can be difficult to diagnose if it's intermittent. The pump usually decides to work when you're testing it.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
svtetr

i finnaly got my hands on a fpg and the psi was getting no higher then 30psi. i was told these cars should run at 45 and up. i pulled the codes. but lost where i wrote them down.

sorry i was alittle impatient lol. im still used to ls1tech. but thank you for letting me know.

i guess if i would have checked the fuel pressure first i would have noticed the problem sooner. but atleast now it has all those parts new. runs alot better now. hope it stays this way for awhile lol.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Remember, engines need 3 things to run, fuel, air and spark. EFI cars are harder to diagnose than carb'd cars because of the higher complexity, but in the end it's all the same thing.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Did you pull the spout connector when you were trying to set the timing?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
svtetr

what is the spout connector?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

First it sounds like you need to go buy a haynes manual. When setting the base timing on the EFI mustang you need to remove that connector then set the base timing (10-14*), shut the car off, and then insert the spout connector. Then your timing is set.

The spout connector is located by the distributor.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:36 AM
svtetr

ok i did do that. but didnt recall the name. and i dont need to go get ****. im a chevy guy and im used to having a coil for every spark plug and no dist. im learning bout these cars. and if you would have read my whole post you would know that. if your going to post in my thread please keep your post positive and helpful. i dont go put negative **** in other peoples threads. we are all here to get help.

i got a walkthrough on how to properly stab the dist and i set the chain dot to dot. witch isnt hard. you cant set the timing perfect if the car dosnt stay on. changed the pump. car stayed on and had a mechanic set the timing with the spout connector out.

Last edited by svtetr; 01-08-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Quick Reply: i cant figure this one out.