Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

ALL who race their daily driver at the track READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:34 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default ALL who race their daily driver at the track READ THIS

Original thread HERE

To those that race ANYWHERE
We recently had a member of a local message board receive a letter in the mail from his insurance company (GEICO) informing him that they would be canceling his insurance because of his participation in a T&T at a local drag strip (Capitol Raceway in Crofton, MD). They sent him a picture of his car with his tag in plain view with him in the staging line as well as a copy of his tech sheet and waiver that he signed. They told him that he has 30 days to find a new insurance company.

The track was contacted and said they NEVER give out copies of waivers or tech sheets to insurance companies unless they come to them after a claim has been filed and the ins company believes the damage occurred at the track. In this situation capitol officials (from what I have heard) do not release this information to Geico.

Just a heads up to everyone here as I know most of you still DD your track cars or at least still use them to some extent. It has also been discussed that when you applied for INS you didn't give the company your tag number so maybe they are writing down VINS. In that case you might want to think about the VIN delete mod while at the track as well as removing your Tags before pulling into the tech line.

I would post a link to the original thread but that happened yesterday on FordPower.net and really slowed down our already slow server .

--chad
Old 11-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Etanimulc
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ALL who race their daily driver at the track READ THIS

Thanks, that really sucks.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:59 PM
offnet83
2nd Gear Member

Something there sounds kind of illegal, like an insurance company driving by your house and giving you the boot because you park under a big tree that might fall one day.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:20 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

That cant be done can it? I mean they cant cancel you because you race... but they can deny coverages applied if you have an accident there. Something doesnt add up. I would look into sueing the **** out of geico!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

I'm an insurance agent and I'll look into this, maybe talk to someone in underwriting. Jdaniel is correct I believe, however a company may drop you if the risk is substantially increased somehow. I dunno if this qualifies. My supervising agent knows I race and he wants to insure me, so I don't think AAA would drop people.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:16 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

I'll keep ya posted.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:23 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: TommyV8

I'm an insurance agent and I'll look into this, maybe talk to someone in underwriting. Jdaniel is correct I believe, however a company may drop you if the risk is substantially increased somehow. I dunno if this qualifies. My supervising agent knows I race and he wants to insure me, so I don't think AAA would drop people.

I called progressive (my agent) and didnt give my info or anything but I asked what were the consequences if caught racing at a sanctioned event and they said they could drop you but most likely would just tell you to stop. They said they definetly wouldnt cover any accident that occured during such activities which is totally understandable.

But here is the kick... The agent asked me what I thought was safer... racing on a track or daily driving on regular streets? He shouldnt have asked that. I went into detail... such as there is only two cars at a time on a drag strip and thats all you have to worry about and not 10,000 idiots trying to get somewhere in a hurry.... then I said the track is preped with extra attention for traction so accidents for cars under 500 hp is at a bare minimum... and I went on and on and he was stumped for words. LOL So I thanked him for the info and hung up. LOL
Old 11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

well the thing is this... insurance companies are private businesses and they can choose whether or not to drop your coverage (as long as they give you sufficient notice I think) whenever they want - at least thats the way I see it.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeah... I guess. LOL That means Progressive would loose half their business on sports cars here where I live. All my buddies use them.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:35 PM
silverbolt01
1st Gear Member

kinda sucks

Quick Reply: ALL who race their daily driver at the track READ THIS