Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Got dusted by a duster

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Got dusted by a duster

Yeah that price is rediculous. I paid 600 for my X's back many many years ago, but they had SS valves and were seriously worked over. If I was doing it now I'd be putting a set of Indy's on there or even the Edlebrock's. I've been out of Mopars for a while now and I'm trying to concentrate on my 66 Fairlane. Just this damn Mustang keeps sucking the money away from it. I should have it at the strip later this year. 390 with Edelbrock heads and Victor intake. Just a beater motor for now til the 428 based stroker gets built next year.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

i bought a 4" stroker kit for my 340...but i bought two more project cars, so i dont know when ill actually get it into the car...

ive seen Xs and Js at the nationals and such, bare, for more reasonable prices, but still, you pay so much for cast iron heads...i would rather stick with what i have until i go with an aluminum set.

i cant wait to get the demon up and running..and get it to the scales. i am curious how much it weighs with the full fiberglass front end..and maybe, at some point, the drivetrain in the white car will find its way into the demon, which i am guessing to weigh less than 3000lbs...
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 PM
moparrr07
1st Gear Member

im a guy from the big block dart site, while i still dont have a bigblock in my car yet, it doesnt mean i dont know a thing or 2 about bb mopars: this is what i ahve to say

1. hotrod mag made a dart run in the twelves for under $2000 including the price of the car, sure it looked like a turd but 12s

2. 340 dusters back in the day may have been rated in the mid 14s but with different tires and a couple mods (before cold air intakes) they would be running in the 12s

3. 340 dusters were rated at 275 hp but when dynoed, alot of times made 325(gross) hp at the wheels- (now everyone here, go look up what gross hp means)

4. most of our cars (dusters) get the bad rep because some hilllbilly is hotroding a old and tired 318 around, see the dodge truck comercial where the hillbillys jump the white duster

5. with a mildly built engine, with the proper drivetrain and a good suspention, our cars can get in the 11 easily and 10s with the right parts, and that can be done for under $10,000- while that seems like alot, thats basically everthing but the body

6. if you were to accually compare a chrysler frame(body) with a mustang frame(frame) in size and strength, you would cringe in you seats, the older mustang were so weak, why do you think they only weighed 2700 lbs

7. theres no replacment for displacment, not 3 valves, pi heads, or even a 4v head, 281ci just isnt enough
Old 04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moparrr07

im a guy from the big block dart site, while i still dont have a bigblock in my car yet, it doesnt mean i dont know a thing or 2 about bb mopars: this is what i ahve to say

1. hotrod mag made a dart run in the twelves for under $2000 including the price of the car, sure it looked like a turd but 12s

2. 340 dusters back in the day may have been rated in the mid 14s but with different tires and a couple mods (before cold air intakes) they would be running in the 12s

3. 340 dusters were rated at 275 hp but when dynoed, alot of times made 325(gross) hp at the wheels- (now everyone here, go look up what gross hp means)

4. most of our cars (dusters) get the bad rep because some hilllbilly is hotroding a old and tired 318 around, see the dodge truck comercial where the hillbillys jump the white duster

5. with a mildly built engine, with the proper drivetrain and a good suspention, our cars can get in the 11 easily and 10s with the right parts, and that can be done for under $10,000- while that seems like alot, thats basically everthing but the body

6. if you were to accually compare a chrysler frame(body) with a mustang frame(frame) in size and strength, you would cringe in you seats, the older mustang were so weak, why do you think they only weighed 2700 lbs

7. theres no replacment for displacment, not 3 valves, pi heads, or even a 4v head, 281ci just isnt enough
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif]
Old 04-03-2007, 08:20 PM
moparrr07
1st Gear Member

you cobra head is like our hemi head, ford realized that 281 iis just not enough, why do you think all of the fastest mustang you can buy are supercharged
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

except the hemi head is 2V...not 4V...and the 281s are recent engines.

what site are you here from.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:47 PM
moparrr07
1st Gear Member

i was meaning the hemis have crazy flow #s and the 4v have crazy flow #s thats all, duh the hemi is a 2 valve

i am here from bigblockdart.com

excellent group of guys, almost everyone has some tech info to share, rarely there is an argument and no one calls each other names and its not hard to seach for what you need,

we dont have any members where when sombody ask a question a wantabe answers and say that they plan on upgrading that part in the future over and over again, they just go out and do it, most of us can fabricate anything and 5% have heard of a cold air intake

i dont know how you can even get advice with all the bs going on here
Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

lol..its good that almost all of your 2600 members have some tech knowledge...when you have 64000 members, let me know how many people dont have endless tech knowledge. i recognize quite a few of those cars in the feature section from the CC events. i was in the 05 programs...i think that edelstein was too...but you have to be kidding comparing that site to this one, just by glancing over a few pages and finding things at whichto poke fun.

also, youre making fun of members here who havent performed their mods yet, but youre a member of a big block dart site, and you dont have a big block dart? most of the members here at least have mustangs...im one of the few who doesnt. im always quick to stick up for mopar guys as not being ignorant...thanks for giving me a reason to lean towards the other side of my own argument.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

my friends uncle had a 78 duster in the high 9's to low 10's... don't know what he had done, but it was loud as hell with laughy gas.... he used to f around with crotch rockets on gratiot alot
Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007GT/CS

When I had my '85 I didn't have too much trouble with 340 Dusters. Most around town were 15 second cars.
Sounds like what you came up against was a bit north of average
My favorite thing about the '85 was the '85 vette. Those guys could read Road and Track too so they would roll up next to you on the freeway and rev. I'd just reach behind the passenger seat and turn on the NOS tank....
Then they would pretend they weren't really racing.
1985 was a blast, with my '85 LX 5.0 Coupe, the cars to have fun with were the following 1985 models: It's amazing what we thought was fast back then!

944 Turbo - Very close if both were stock, I raced one from 0 to 135, we were dead even, most fun race I've ever had, it scared the hell out of me
Camaro Iroc- Easy victory if both were stock, great car though and handled well, it had 215hp but wasn't as fast as a GT (yes, I was there, raced a lot of 'em)
Camaro RS, the 305's in these things were so slow but they always wanted to race
Trans AM - See Iroc for the TPI HO version
Firebird - See RS
Monte Carlo SS, see Camaro RS, they shared the same engine (whopping 180hp)and it was even slower because it weighed more, not worth the gas but we raced them anyway
RX7 - Too much fun blowing away, everybody who owned one thought they could beat anybody, with the new 13B motor they were faster, but still mid 15's at best, cool cars though
Vette - beat a few when stock, mostly because the driver mod in the Vette was horrid, lost to a few as well very cool car.
Grand National - '85 was the last year with no inter-cooler so these were easy pickins, they fixed it for '86 and '87however.I love Buick Grand Nationals!
Sunbird Turbo - Yes, the Cobalt SS of the time, everybody who owned one thought they could walk Mustang's, there was one who tried for years, it never happened, he still owns it today, the horror
Omni GLH - These suckers were friggin fast for the time, they could stay even with a Mustang GT but the 5.0 Coupe weighed a lot less so had a few tenths on them, '86 got the intercooler
SVO Mustang, easy pickins but very cool car, it was really a mid year car so call it a 1985 1/2
Supra - Ok, it was a joke racing them at the time but guys did buy them and race them, not worth racing but still a cool car
Ceclica GTS - Another kinda cool car for the time, revved liked an SOB but wasn't that fast

There are a host of others I missed I'm sure but you get the idea, the 80's weren't known for the fastest cars but for what we had, we had a blast!

Quick Reply: Got dusted by a duster