Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
GMhipo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra

ORIGINAL: Hulk99

ORIGINAL: GMhipo

Sounds like a good race. However I am posting here cause this is the only place where the GM guys hang out on this site and I'd like some opinions from both sides of the track. At the present time I am in a ****load of debt, but with a new job things will be really different in 18 months (I know thats forever). Well to reward myself for not spending now and clearing up 60k worth of credit card debt I wanna buy myself something nice. Here are the options with questions:

1. keep the cobra (I still owe 14k on it)forge it and boost it 650-800rwhp depending on power adder and if I go to a soley track car.

2. Buy a C6, used of course and slap a procharger on it. (what are the stock internals good to power wise?)

3. Buy a c5 zo6 do cams, intake, exhaust.

Now my wife hates corvettes (I don't know why), but it'll really be my car anyways, so what would you guys do? Realistically, I'm looking at 40k max budget.
Wait a minute....Youstill owe 14k on a 99 Cobra? What did you pay for the thing? I looked itup on kelly blue book and a 99 Cobra,manual,convertible with only20,000 mile in excellent conditiononly has aRetail value of $14,700.
I just picked it up about 6 weeks ago... and now I'm not sure I should have. I paid 13400 for it but had some neg equity on a trade then plus tags and title I'm a little over 14k. Then two weeks ago I found out I was getting a promotion and a big raise, so things are changing. I'm clearing up all my bad debt, then getting a car and sticking with it for probably quite some time since the wife is getting anxious about having kids.
The best thing you can do is stick with what you've got.If you trade it in now you'll be lucky to get 9k, then you'llbe paying on three cars. If you just got a big promotion then you should be 'responsible' enough to not throw away yourmoney.

If you reallywant to give away $5,000+ I'll give you my adress.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you need to slow down on all the spending. $60k in CC debt....holy ****. How old are you? I say sell the Cobra and anything else you possibly can. Wait until you're out of debt totally, then buy a car, preferably with cash. I hope this new job is paying very well, as it'll take some time to overcome $60k in debt, more than 18 months typically.

When it is time to get the new car, check out the LS1tech vehicle classifieds. All kinds of C5's and C5 ZO6's with TONS of power for less than $30k. I'm talking forged 408's, 347's, etc....I just got done looking at a new post where the guy is selling his 550rwhp, on motor, FRC ZO6 lookalike, for $27k. It's built for a 400hp shot. That's crazy.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

Sounds like you need to slow down on all the spending. $60k in CC debt....holy ****. How old are you? I say sell the Cobra and anything else you possibly can. Wait until you're out of debt totally, then buy a car, preferably with cash. I hope this new job is paying very well, as it'll take some time to overcome $60k in debt, more than 18 months typically.

When it is time to get the new car, check out the LS1tech vehicle classifieds. All kinds of C5's and C5 ZO6's with TONS of power for less than $30k. I'm talking forged 408's, 347's, etc....I just got done looking at a new post where the guy is selling his 550rwhp, on motor, FRC ZO6 lookalike, for $27k. It's built for a 400hp shot. That's crazy.
Actually it should take 14-18 months maxwith the budget I've allotted myself. My raise was over 30k with another 8k in possible bonuses( and to boot the wife makes ok cash 50k + a year) so obviously that is all going to the CC and the 60k figure was from about 10 months ago, its more like 45k now. Thing is I'm still paying the bills, and saving into retirement, sticking a little aside, so I don't get tempted to use CC anymore. Alot of that debt is from college (divorced parents, no financial help for living costs and a really poor sense of judgement), some is from a failed business, and some is just from moving costs, etc. I've taken control of things over the last year and the way things are going I'll be making enough to enjoy a $40,000 weekend driver when the debt is gone. (actually I could buy it now, but that would be dumb). I'm turning 27 in a month and my wife and I still aren't planning to have kids for two or three years.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: C6 VETTE

ORIGINAL: GMhipo

Sounds like a good race. However I am posting here cause this is the only place where the GM guys hang out on this site and I'd like some opinions from both sides of the track. At the present time I am in a ****load of debt, but with a new job things will be really different in 18 months (I know thats forever). Well to reward myself for not spending now and clearing up 60k worth of credit card debt I wanna buy myself something nice. Here are the options with questions:

1. keep the cobra (I still owe 14k on it)forge it and boost it 650-800rwhp depending on power adder and if I go to a soley track car.

2. Buy a C6, used of course and slap a procharger on it. (what are the stock internals good to power wise?)

3. Buy a c5 zo6 do cams, intake, exhaust.

Now my wife hates corvettes (I don't know why), but it'll really be my car anyways, so what would you guys do? Realistically, I'm looking at 40k max budget.
Wait a minute....Youstill owe 14k on a 99 Cobra? What did you pay for the thing? I looked itup on kelly blue book and a 99 Cobra,manual,convertible with only20,000 mile in excellent conditiononly has aRetail value of $14,700.
I just picked it up about 6 weeks ago... and now I'm not sure I should have. I paid 13400 for it but had some neg equity on a trade then plus tags and title I'm a little over 14k. Then two weeks ago I found out I was getting a promotion and a big raise, so things are changing. I'm clearing up all my bad debt, then getting a car and sticking with it for probably quite some time since the wife is getting anxious about having kids.
In that case ,you should get the C5Z or a C6, You can fit all kinds of kids in those...lol
No this is a me only car. In fact I may remove the passenger seat... j/k don't tell my wife I said that By anxious I mean two or three years,she's starting to talk about it, how she can't wait... but shes finishing her master's degree first (which is at least 2 years with a full time job)
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Yea, my old lady is going through nursing as we speak. I'd be amazed if she ever made $50k a year...actually, I've have it made if she only made $40k.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and like I said, check out the LS1tech classifieds if you want a fast car for cheap. They practically give them away over there.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

Yea, my old lady is going through nursing as we speak. I'd be amazed if she ever made $50k a year...actually, I've have it made if she only made $40k.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and like I said, check out the LS1tech classifieds if you want a fast car for cheap. They practically give them away over there.
Will do, thanks for the advice on LS1tech. Good luck with the schooling for your girl. Fortunately, my wife's work is footing most of the bill for her degree. I just want a car I can enjoy for about 10 years, cause I'm guessing once the kids come into the picture my wife will no longer entertain ideas of lets get a new toy car.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

If i was In your position, I'd buy the 03 cobra body kit, and fixed that car up! make it faster. I like the 03 cobra more than the c5, c6 is a nice car but I would go with your cobra also because it only has 14k miles and is been your the others were used.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

^^^^^He owes $14K on the car (as in money) not 14K miles........
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills man... Lately I've been feeling like I'm your full time tutor having to correct your posts...[:@]
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

A little off topic, but on the Speed Channel right now there's a show on called "The Last Sting Ray: Project Opel."

It's about the Corvette's birth and near death.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:16 AM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up...I got it on now

Quick Reply: C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra