Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Default C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra

Sounds like a good race. However I am posting here cause this is the only place where the GM guys hang out on this site and I'd like some opinions from both sides of the track. At the present time I am in a ****load of debt, but with a new job things will be really different in 18 months (I know thats forever). Well to reward myself for not spending now and clearing up 60k worth of credit card debt I wanna buy myself something nice. Here are the options with questions:

1. keep the cobra (I still owe 14k on it)forge it and boost it 650-800rwhp depending on power adder and if I go to a soley track car.

2. Buy a C6, used of course and slap a procharger on it. (what are the stock internals good to power wise?)

3. Buy a c5 zo6 do cams, intake, exhaust.

Now my wife hates corvettes (I don't know why), but it'll really be my car anyways, so what would you guys do? Realistically, I'm looking at 40k max budget.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:56 PM
xTato
1st Gear Member

Default RE: C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra

id keep the current car and pimp the livin crap outa it!
Old 07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

Id get the Z06 C5 and stroke it, then new HCI. NA power is better.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hulk99

Sounds like a good race. However I am posting here cause this is the only place where the GM guys hang out on this site and I'd like some opinions from both sides of the track. At the present time I am in a ****load of debt, but with a new job things will be really different in 18 months (I know thats forever). Well to reward myself for not spending now and clearing up 60k worth of credit card debt I wanna buy myself something nice. Here are the options with questions:

1. keep the cobra (I still owe 14k on it)forge it and boost it 650-800rwhp depending on power adder and if I go to a soley track car.

2. Buy a C6, used of course and slap a procharger on it. (what are the stock internals good to power wise?)

Now my wife hates corvettes (I don't know why), but it'll really be my car anyways, so what would you guys do? Realistically, I'm looking at 40k max budget.
1) I'm to sure about.... I'm sure some Cobra owners will chime in.

2) I think a C6 would suit you well. With the new LS3 coming out 05-07 C6 Vettes will be going at great prices. The LS2 is a solid block..it's just as reliable as the LS1 and it makes stupid power with Boost. Some 600 hp with 6psi..(Cam, heads and Nitrous available too)

3) The C5 Z06 is still a legend by today's standards..guys have gone into the 11s with DRs and CAI. That car has one the most ferocious cams and gearing that you will find in a stock GM car today. I like the C6 Z06 but the C5 Z06can be just as deadly with the right driver. Aprocharger would all so be a very reliable setup for you..but Vortec STS turbo and Magies are popular too... ..(Cam, heads and Nitrous available too)

I would say test drive the C6 and the C5 and see which one you like best..
Old 07-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Razorsedgepit06
1st Gear Member

The new C6's sure are nice. I would probabely lean towards that. Then again, all 3 of your choices look good, cant go wrong either way imo
Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Realistically I wouldn't buy anything. I'd keep the Cobra, pay it off along with all the other debt, then in 18 months (or when all the debt is clear) re-evaluate what the options are.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:59 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

I would get the C5 Z06, by having a 2nd car to play around with you take alot of stress off your cobra. So if somthing breaks you still have good transpotation untill you can get it fixed.

Also you can get a good C5 Z06 with decent miles for about 30K. That leaves you 10K to play around with. And you could do alot with that.

I plan on buying a 2003 Z06 next summer after I get my bonus, so I have already thought this out. And to me, the C5 Z06 was the best choice.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

Realistically I wouldn't buy anything. I'd keep the Cobra, pay it off along with all the other debt, then in 18 months (or when all the debt is clear) re-evaluate what the options are.
Yeah I know its a long way off, but I am talking about in 18 months or so. The reason why I'm asking now is that if I decide to go with a different car, I'll probably sell the cobra asap.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheStig

I would get the C5 Z06, by having a 2nd car to play around with you take alot of stress off your cobra. So if somthing breaks you still have good transpotation untill you can get it fixed.

Also you can get a good C5 Z06 with decent miles for about 30K. That leaves you 10K to play around with. And you could do alot with that.

I plan on buying a 2003 Z06 next summer after I get my bonus, so I have already thought this out. And to me, the C5 Z06 was the best choice.
The cobra is my third car not a DD. See I like the power plant in the c5 zo6 the best as well, I just freakin love the way the c6 looks. I actually like the way all three cars look, I just like the looks of the c6 the best. However the cobra would be the most deadly as keeping it would leave me with the biggest modding budget.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

Yeah I know its a long way off, but I am talking about in 18 months or so. The reason why I'm asking now is that if I decide to go with a different car, I'll probably sell the cobra asap.
Ok, that makes sense. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: C6 vs c5 zo6 vs heavily modded 99 cobra