Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Dragstrips in Florida/Southern area?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default Dragstrips in Florida/Southern area?

May go on a road trip for spring break....any drag strips down there?

I know there are several, but which ones have you guys been to/know of?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dragstrips in Florida/Southern area?

Here in Flawrida we dont have drag strips...we race on corn.

end redneck voice/
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

There are 1/4 miles in Orlando, Bradenton, and Gainesville. 1/8 mile in Lakeland. I'm pretty sure There is a 1/4 mile in south florida but not positive, maybe someone in south florida can chime in. Out of the three above with a 1/4 mile, I'd say Orlando would be the best place for spring break (though it is probably the worst preped track of the three, so I'm told) to go, UCF night life and Daytona beach/cocoa beach about 45 minutes away. I doubt you want to go to Lakeland for spring break. South Florida (south beach/Miami area) would be a lot of fun also for spring break. What is the age group going? My advice could be completely wrong depending the age group (I'm assuming early 20s).
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
fiad06
5th Gear Member

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...tml#DragStrips
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

www.bradentonmotorsports.com BMP is a great drag strip.

The east coast is crowded with traffic & people. There are still alot of people on the west coast, but its not as crowded. BMP if right by sarasota so you can go over to siesta key which is a giant island with lots of stuff & long beaches. And the strip is just a little north east of there.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Karma_Hunden
2nd Gear Member

I'm from South Florida. We have a 1/8milestrip (itscalled "countyline", probably because it divides the two counties, broward and dade)west, on ockeechobee rd (us27) north of the turnpike interception with it.

The nearest 1/4mile is Moroso race track. 2 hours up from where i live. 3 from miami. Its around west palm beach.

and no, the best places for spring break, are miami beach, panama beach, cancun and daytona beach.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 AM
gears94gt
3rd Gear Member

+1. you will like south beach night life. lots of babes
Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 AM
kazman
1st Gear Member

I posted the same question on a corvette forum. A member there was kind enought to give me this response.

Moroso Motorsports Park is about 100 miles away from Ft. Myers (find Jupiter along the Atlantic Coast, then go due-West until you intersect Rt, 710 ), and it, too, is an NHRA 1/4-track, hosting 2 Summit Points Series races a month (1 is an 1/8-mile race each month ), and it hosts the S&W Race Cars 5-Day Race each November, usually the week after BMP has their 5-Day races.

Back to the Gulf Coast-side, an hour further North from BMP is Sunshine Drag Strip
, 1/8-mile NHRA, located in downtown Clearwater (due-South of the St. Pete/Clearwater Int'l Airport, across Rt. 686 ):
the track has Summit Points Races every Friday evening (except July ), and a Friday/Saturday race over Thanksgiving weekend, but land is owned by the State, and track is due to close in next 5-7 years (will become a highway-interchange ).

From Sunshine Drag Strip, take Howard Franklin Bridge across Old Tampa Bay, heading East, then get-on I-4, to Exit 38 (about an hour from Sunshine ), where you'll find Lakeland Motorsports Park
, an unsanctioned 1/8-mile track:
they are open for-testing EVERY Thursday night (including Thanksgiving night! ), and race every Saturday night, year-round.

From LMP, take I-4 East towards Orlando, and about 15 miles East of Orlando you'll find 'Bithlo', along Rt. 50, home of Orlando Speed World Dragway
, another NHRA 1/4-mile track:
it has 2 Summit Points Series races per month (2nd & 3rd Saturday evening of the month ), with the 3rd Saturday being an 1/8-mile race.

Sunshine opened their Points season on 11 January, BMP opened on 12 January, and Orlando started their Points on 19 Janaury:
by my reckoning, I could race for Summit points at-least once a week, every-week, except March 13-16 (all tracks close during Gatornationals-week ), and the 1st and last weekend in July (BMP & Sunshine, owned & operated by same people, close due to extreme heat in July ), from mid-January until mid September, between BMP, OSW, and Sunshine, and race October-through January at LMP unsanctioned for straight cash.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

hey man lemme know if your gonna roadtrip down here.....Moroso or Bradenten are your best bets

but you should come down to Moroso so we can run 'em[sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm not the 'party' type of person (but I don't mind seeing some ladies at the beach/walking on the street), but I wouldn't mind to GTFO of Michigan and going somewhere warmer just for a break from home/work/school for a week or so, and going drag racing to boot.

Quick Reply: Dragstrips in Florida/Southern area?