Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

1st time at the track...and got a reality check!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1st time at the track...and got a reality check!

Im running 3.31 gears.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I busted out a 12.9 @ 117.6 with a 2.3 60 foot time. You might want to get it dynoed. I only dynoed 403rwhp by the way.

What was the temp?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt

Everyones advise is dead on. They only thing that sounds funny to me is the low trap speed on the turbo set-up. If you dyno'd 460. I'd expect a much better trap speed. I'd crawl around under the car and try to see if you have any boost leaks. Turbos are fun but there a pain in the *** with all the clamp tightening!

Well, he said he is spinning his tires even after the 60ft. That is killing his mph too.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I run higher trap speeds spinning on street tires than I do when I run on slicks. Obviously The E/T will improve with traction. YourTrap speed will normally drop by a mile per hour or sothe better your traction is. So spinning shouldn't kill his MPH as bad as it kills his E/T!It wouldn't hurt to make surehis car is running 100% corectly,if your going to the track. Eveyone knows how common boost leaks are with turbo charged cars. So what would it hurt crawling under the car and tightening up a few clamps?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Didn't say it would hurt to check the clamps. But if your spinning half way down the track, your not accelerating/gaining speed. If he hooks, both his ET and mph will go up.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

If he hooks, both his ET and mph will go up.
Not quite. Bluebeast is correct with his general statement about lower 60's usually translate into lower trap speed. On one setup when I first started dialing in at 11lbs I would 60' at 2.0 and have a trap of 118, later once dialed in my 60' got down to 1.7-1.8 with a trap speed of 115. This is not unusual and I have seen the slips of others to verify and collaborate with in regard to this subject.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Buckman

If he hooks, both his ET and mph will go up.
Not quite. Bluebeast is correct with his general statement about lower 60's usually translate into lower trap speed. On one setup when I first started dialing in at 11lbs I would 60' at 2.0 and have a trap of 118, later once dialed in my 60' got down to 1.7-1.8 with a trap speed of 115. This is not unusual and I have seen the slips of others to verify and collaborate with in regard to this subject.

I'm not talking about his 60ft. The OP is saying he is spinning down the track, past the 60ft. If that is the case, if he hooks and stops spinning, his MPH will go up.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:34 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Heavy tires/wheels are going to kill his trap as well.
Add in that it was his first trip, I can be sure he was not shifting as well as he should have been.

I went 14.5@99.3 with a 2.226 ...driver mod.. NO OTHER MODS but tires
and now 13.879@100.86 with a 2.02 60'
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

I assume you are talkin bout outside temp. which was about 70 degrees. I will get under the car and check to make sure everything looks good like you suggested bluebeast. The car dynoed 434 rwhp and 455 rwtq on a dyno dynamics dyno. Im gonna put it in a different dynojet to check these numbers to make sure Im not getting mislead but in general a turbo at 8.5 psi should be in the 450 rwhp range correct? If I was getting some boost leak wouldnt I notice that on the boost gauge? On my boost gauge its right at9 psi under wot. And yeah I was granny shifting.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: snakebitx1

Man i've been to the track 4 times and probably had 20 runs in. Still though, every time i get to the line my heart is beating so fast and when i get to the end of the track my foot is bouncing up and down.
Haha, I love that feeling. That's the adrenaline talking to you.

OP, if you're granny shifting, could you be getting out of the boost a little between gears hurting your times?Try and take your time when you launch next time. Just launch semi-easy and get on it once your up to 45mph or so. You've got enough power to get a good ET with your power even with a half-*** 60'. Sounds like you're spinninghalfway downthe track though. Like everyone else has already stated, it's going to be tough to do much with your low profile tires. You could always just buy an extra set of tires/rims for track only purposes. Good luck man.

Quick Reply: 1st time at the track...and got a reality check!