Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

'00 Civic v.s. '05 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 PM
JoeB18R
I ♥ Acer

Default '00 Civic v.s. '05 Mustang

Well this IS a Mustang forum, and Im sure you guys dont really want to hear about the exploits of some Honda driver, but this concerned a Mustang (and one of those sweet looking 05 'stangs to boot!) so I figure Id post it.

BTW before you start flaming, keep in mind:
A) I didnt go looking for the race
B) I like the 05 mustang
and
C) It was a frigging V6, so common... you KNOW these things are slow!

But I digress...

I had gone out today to get some lunch. My friend and I decided to head over to Rubio's for some dollar fish tacos. It was about lunch time, and a lot of business are located around this specific franchise location so the place was pretty damn packed. This meant we had to go outside to sit, which wasn’t a problem seeing as what a nice warm day it was today.

Anyway, while we are out there waiting for our food order my friend spots a black 05 stang. We got to talking about it and came to the general consensus that it is indeed a bad *** looking car. I believe I mentioned that I wouldn’t mind getting one as my next car.
It’s about that time when the guy sitting next to us chimed in. "Excuse me, but are you talking about that new black mustang parked over there?"
We both nodded in agreement.

He then went on to tell us that it was his car, and went on about how he got it 2 months ago, and how all the chicks just love it and what not. Pretty full of him self, but no more so then your average proud new owner of a brand new car should be. After we got our food the conversation continued. He went on to tell us how his last car was a moded 98 Caviler Z24. Said he had all sorts of **** done to it, I/H/E, cams and some other BS. He then said that even with all that stuff it was no where near as fast as his new car even though its bone stock.

My friend asked him if it was a GT (we could only see it from the front), and the guy replied that it was only the V6 version. "But" he says, "It’s still fast enough to beat anything without a turbo or 8 cylinders".

A $hit eating grin crossed both our faces.

My friend, who is a notorious instigator picked up in the queue and asked him if he would be willing to run his car against a naturally aspirated 4 cyl Honda.

"Sure!" The guy replied "but only if it’s worth my time. Looser has to buy the winner a tank of gas." It was only after he said that, that he paused for a second then asked "you don’t have nitrous do you?". No I said. Only an N/A, stock internaled 1.8l Honda motor, full interior. Ad this was good enough for him.

I couldn’t pass that up, especially since I was running under a 1/4 tank at that time. So we finish eating, and head out to find a good place to run. We left the commercial area, past the newly built residential area to a section of town that consists of a KOA cam ground, grazing fields for cows, and not much else. We found a nice straight 2 lane road (that happened to be a passing section of a 22 mile roadway through the middle of nowhere) to set up at.

We agreed that we would shut down after we had passed a mile marker near the end of the straight (straight ends and turns into a T, where you can continue to go right or left). I had used my odometer and fond that marker to be a few ticks past a full 1/4 mile, so it was pretty perfect.

My friend would be the flagger, so we didn’t have to deal with a 3 honk start or anything, plus I would have any extra weight (not that I thought I would need it anyway).

We get all set up, but the guy insists on pulling a John Force style burnout before hand. I don’t know if he wanted to look cool, or if he actually though burning out on street tires would HELP traction on street tires, but I humored him. After the smoke cleared and reversed back to the starting point, it was on.

I bring the tach up to 6500 and hold it, while I hear John (the mustang guy) revving his engine next to me. The flag drops and we both get on it.
I got an excellent launch. Feathered the clutch out, which slowly increasing the amount of gas I’m feeding the motor. I hardly got any tire spin and managed to stay in VTEC for the entire launch I (and for the rest of the run). I wasn’t paying attention before that point, so after the 1-2 shift I check out my mirror and see the mustang's headlights in my side mirror. I continue to lay on it and check again at the top of 3rd. By this time I’ve pulled a few lengths on him and it seemed that my rate of pull was increasing. After I shut down at the mile marker, I had at least 4 full car lengths on the guy. I stop near the end of the straight and wait for him to pull up next to me. After he did he started to complain about what **** launch he got, and he wasn’t really trying after 2nd gear.

Ooooooooooooooooooookay. So I tell him best 2 out of 3, but if I get this next one, he defiantly owes me a tank of gas. He agreed and we went back to the starting point.

We line up again, and my friend drops the flag. I didn’t get quite as good a launch this time, sine I managed to get a bit of smoke and spin the tires a lot more then I had previously (let the clutch out WAY too fast). So, at the 1-2 shift his front bumper was at my passenger side mirror. At the 3-4 shift I has 3 or so cars on him, and by the mile marker I had *almost* the same amount of distance between us as the first time, minus about half a car length or so.

We stopped and talked a bit more. This time more in depth about my mods. He said he would never have agreed to race for money (or gas) if he knew the extent of my mods, and felt like I misled him. I told him it was all truth. I had completely stock internals, no nitrous or forced induction, and a full interior. He finally admitted defeat and we proceeded to the Arco so I could claim my prize! Heh.

While it wasn’t anywhere near a close or "fair" race, I had been dying to run a new stang since I fell in love with the new body style. I have no doubt that an 05 GT would have been different, but that’s what the cams I have sitting in my garage are for!

Either way, it was a fun couple of runs and I did manage to get a full tank of gas out of it, so there are no complaints from my side. I’m sure John, the dude with the Mustang, has a different opinion, but I’m sure he learned a different lesson.

-joe

edit:

Oh, and just on a side note...

I do admit that this V6 is faster then the previous versions that I have raced. My friends "Roush" 02 V6 Mustang usually get beat by more then I pulled on this guy. And he actually had mods on his car (intake, headers, some ECU deal, and side exit exhaust)! I guess the added displacement and drive train efficiency helped out a lot. Too bad it doesn’t really put it out of the secretary’s car segment for most people in the market for something truly sporty right out of the box.

And as for the SN95 V6 mustangs... lol those are a horrible joke compared to this iteration!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: '00 Civic v.s. '05 Mustang

I think the race was perfectly fair, hell around here nobody talks about whats done to thier cars, if you can't figure out how fast a car is or what mods he might have , too bad, it's street racing after all. Good kill and a very well written post.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Wow long story. Can i have a cliff notes version?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
JoeB18R
I ♥ Acer

stock V6 mustangs are pretty slow.

I won a full tank of premium.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:24 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: JoeB18R

stock 05 v6 stangs aren't that slow. they have 210HP under the hood. that's 5HP less than a 97 GT. the torque is where it's lacking though. even that isn't bad.

about the story though. way too long for me to read right now. maybe i'll give it a read tomorrow morning. plus i'm on the sh!tter and my left leg is getting numb.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:26 AM
01GT
I ♥ Acer

I have found of you tend to rub your leg it won't get numb.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Really, all i do is take the weight off the leg thats getting numb.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:35 AM

lol I remember reading that kill on Honda Tech.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:44 AM
JoeB18R
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nanaki

stock 05 v6 stangs aren't that slow. they have 210HP under the hood. that's 5HP less than a 97 GT. the torque is where it's lacking though. even that isn't bad.

about the story though. way too long for me to read right now. maybe i'll give it a read tomorrow morning. plus i'm on the sh!tter and my left leg is getting numb.
Im sure they still arent going to be breaking into he high 14s with a lot of ease.

BTW, massaging you leg works and if it goes numb you need to bounce it up and down moderatly hard.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:27 AM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

Im sure they still arent going to be breaking into he high 14s with a lot of ease.

BTW, massaging you leg works and if it goes numb you need to bounce it up and down moderatly hard.
I do the bounce thing for my leg.

Nice kill, and well written post, it was a good read

Quick Reply: '00 Civic v.s. '05 Mustang