Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Requirements for a sub 11.99 run

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Requirements for a sub 11.99 run

I was talking to the guy who is going to be doing the tuning on my car in the next few weeks about going to the track. I told him that my DRs will be mounted and as soon as the car is ready and I am used to it I will be going to the track. He said he wants to come with me but he isn't sure what his car will need. When I asked him what the hell he was talking about he told me a little about his car. He has a turbo LT1 camaro. He has a cam, ported heads, his turbo is intercooled with a meth injection set up, he has a built 12 bolt with 12 or 13" slicks out back, and the trans had a trans break. The guy can driveand 11 second runs are anticipated and almost expected. My question is what do the track techs require for a car that will most likely be in the low 11s. I have heard a cage, 5 point harness,exposed lugs, and I have even heard that there isspecial requirements for a turbo car.I have no idea because I don't plan for my car to be breaking the 11 second barrier anytime this year, so if some of you guys that frequently run in the 11s could clear this up for me I would really appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default RE: Requirements for a sub 11.99 run

Find your track's website, and look and see what they have.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Duh....[&:]
Old 05-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I just check the rules for raceway park in englishtown NJ which is the closest track to me and they said nothing about any runs being faster than 11.99.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:03 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

E-town is an NHRA track and they strictly follow the NHRA rules. The NHRA rule book is $10 so he may want to pick it up. With an 11 sec car I'm sure a list of saftey equipment is going to be required, including a fire retardent jacket and maybe pants too. When they ask how fast the car runs be conservative and tell them you expect to run high 12'. That way you won't need all the eqiupment until they see you run quicker then your saftey equipment allows.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

11.49 is the cut off for hard tops.... then u need helmet/cage/ fire jacket if blown/ds loop etc...
Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jimkaray

E-town is an NHRA track and they strictly follow the NHRA rules. The NHRA rule book is $10 so he may want to pick it up. With an 11 sec car I'm sure a list of saftey equipment is going to be required, including a fire retardent jacket and maybe pants too. When they ask how fast the car runs be conservative and tell them you expect to run high 12'. That way you won't need all the eqiupment until they see you run quicker then your saftey equipment allows.
I really don't think they are going to believe him when he pulls up. I saw this thing today an from the outside it almost looks stock except fot the monster slicks and the intercooler.
And bluebeast thanks for the link. I have heard from more than one person that you need longer or exposed lugs for some reason, is that true?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I can't imagine why that would be required? so that its easier for them to remove your tires right before you try to leave the line? o crap.. he wrecked his car.. first one to his wheels gets to keep them?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

No if they are longer I'd imagine they would have to be able to tighten them all the way, like a regular nut instead of what cars usually have.

Quick Reply: Requirements for a sub 11.99 run