Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

LS2 GTO OWNED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Jestaar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: LS2 GTO OWNED!

Last weekend at the strip there was a GTO in front of me. From a launch the rear was hoppin all over the place. I'm guessing from a dig, they're tough to launch. If I remember right, the guy was runnin mid 14's
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

OH NO WAI!!! You should definitely run high 12s now!!
[sm=laughat.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=laughat.gif]

How did I know you would chime in with absolutely nothing productive to this post?[8D]
Sorry man, thought it was funny. As to your story, I'd fully expect a mid 12 to low 13 second car to wip up on a 14 second car.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

launching a GTO is all about control, if you get throttle happy and just floor it you will suck *****

I get it up to about 800-1000RPM, let it go on greenand slip into half throttle... then halfway through first I go into WOT and then slam second gear at 50-55MPH

there isn't much in the way of manuals that can outlaunch me... the GTO wheelhop and launch issues is more of a myth on account of people that can't control their launch, find someone that has control off the line and it can launch just as easily as anything else

but this is mainly because I made the right choice and got an auto, and as far as drag racing, auto > maunual.. ask any track vet in that regard
Old 06-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Jekyl n Hyde
1st Gear Member

Honestly, you are right, absolutely right about the throttle happy, pedal to the floor approach...it means you just lost! Also you're right about the auto tranny, at the strip the auto usually beats the manual by .1 or .2 and are far easier to get off the line. Most of the time the manual must be feathered and treated nice & easyto get a good launch. 400+ ft/lbs of torque + relatively skinny tires + IRS= spinning tires and WHEEL HOP. Too much throttle on the launch...forget it. Tires spin...wheels bounce up and down in the wheel wells (not a myth). $60 to $100 is all it takes to basically solve the wheel hop issues...drag bags (at 18 to 20 lbs or so)all but eliminate it.A well prepped track and drag radials are also just as effective.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

my buddy has a 2006 M6 GTO and we went to the track. I took him everytime but his 60' was like 2.4-2.5. We would both trap around the same. I was giving him **** and finally hes all alright here you try to launch it. I hopped in and took it for a run. The thing wheel hopped like crazy. I didn't want to break anything so I let off and got back into it. I got around a 2.5 60' too haha. It was however his first time to the track with his car so with a little practice I'm sure he could get better.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: danGT06

my buddy has a 2006 M6 GTO and we went to the track. I took him everytime but his 60' was like 2.4-2.5. We would both trap around the same. I was giving him **** and finally hes all alright here you try to launch it. I hopped in and took it for a run. The thing wheel hopped like crazy. I didn't want to break anything so I let off and got back into it. I got around a 2.5 60' too haha. It was however his first time to the track with his car so with a little practice I'm sure he could get better.
what did your stang end up running?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 PM
cacimar
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Morbid Intentions

launching a GTO is all about control, if you get throttle happy and just floor it you will suck *****

I get it up to about 800-1000RPM, let it go on greenand slip into half throttle... then halfway through first I go into WOT and then slam second gear at 50-55MPH

there isn't much in the way of manuals that can outlaunch me... the GTO wheelhop and launch issues is more of a myth on account of people that can't control their launch, find someone that has control off the line and it can launch just as easily as anything else

but this is mainly because I made the right choice and got an auto, and as far as drag racing, auto > maunual.. ask any track vet in that regard
you re right about the auto being more consistent and faster in the 1/4 mile. But manuals put more power and most of the times they trapped higher than autos, and if hooked up the right way and driven the right away they are monsters...Look up on WRP beast "ETHYL"on youtube
Old 06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

In your average sports car a well driven stick will outperforma stockauto. In high horsepower cars(400 or more to the wheels) the auto is the easier to operate and more consistant way to go.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You can always feather the clutch too. Its a technique often overlooked imo. Seems like alot of manual drivers focus more on RPM and throttle rather than slipping the clutch.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: bluebeastsrt

In your average sports car a well driven stick will outperforma stockauto.
if every person on the face of the planet driving a sports car is john force I might be inclined to agree with you.

RWHP is nothing without control over how it is put to the ground, and an auto just controls it better... therefore stock for stock an auto will be faster on average.. it's also the same reason why the fastest LS2 AND LS1 GTOare in fact autos, stalled and tuned automatics are king at thedrag strip... by alot

a clutch is just something extra that makes a launch difficult, the days of manuals are soon to be gone considering launch control, 8 speed automatics, and the rapidly improving technology involving automatic transmissions... think about it, theres a reason paddle shifters on exotic sports cars are connected to automatic gearboxes now... they just perform better, and they will only get better

Quick Reply: LS2 GTO OWNED!