Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.
View Poll Results: How far away is your nearest track?
Less than an hour away
66.22%
1-2 hours away
25.68%
More than 2 hours away
6.76%
Too damn far forget about it/no track even remotely close
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

How close is your local track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I've been reading more than posting lately. I seem to be seeing a lot of posts where guys seem to think they're holier than thou when it comes to opening their cars up on the street. I'm pretty sure we've all done/do it and know it's stupid with serious ramifications. Still, judgement gets overpowered by passion sometimes and the need for speed must be satisfied. The only trouble I could get in these days would be a demonstration of speed as I really only pound 1st, pound 2nd and on rare occasions keep my foot in third. I'm older and wiser and appreciate human life and driving priviledges more than burnouts and stoplight battles. That being said I'd like to know this. Everyone keeps saying "take it to the track", no doubt that is where racing belongs. I'd like to get a large response to this poll along with any realistic comments regarding your thoughts on how to quell the streetracing demon that lurks within all of us. How many of us can honestly say it is easy to back away from a stoplight romp against a car we are genuinely interested in knowing the outcome with? It's not easy. I once was on my way home from work and this lowered, super sweet sounding New Edge pulled up next to me at a light. I could hear him snaking through traffic trying to get door to door with me. He finally got his wish and caught me at a light. Window open he says " nice car, lets do this". I didn't want to and I really wanted to so I just did a bottom of 3rd run. I had him easy but that just pissed him off. The next light he said I didn't give him a chance and that it didn't constitute a race. I told him I didn't care and that was good enough for me. He lit his tires and gave me the single fingered salute. Situations like this are so tempting and if you don't have a track in close proximity scenarios like this unfold every night but at far more dangerous speeds. So I'd like to get an average of how close your nearest track is to you. Thanks in advance for responding. I'll start, mine is approx. an hour away...

Please vote in this thread people, even if you choose not to comment. I'm looking for sheer numbers here to see how bad we as a group have it as far as running our cars on the up and up...

Last edited by Stkjock; 02-23-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: consolidate posts
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

trouble for us on LI is all the tracks have been closed down. We have to go to NJ to run and the closest track is 1.5 hours away and the best track is nearly 3 hours away.

I'm guilty of having fun on public roads from time to time, I'd like to think I do it in a as smart of a way as I can. Predominately on a road that is out of the way and not used much when I'm there by non-racers as well as having long stretches with no access road to bring in additional traffic.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stkjock
trouble for us on LI is all the tracks have been closed down. We have to go to NJ to run and the closest track is 1.5 hours away and the best track is nearly 3 hours away.

I'm guilty of having fun on public roads from time to time, I'd like to think I do it in a as smart of a way as I can. Predominately on a road that is out of the way and not used much when I'm there by non-racers as well as having long stretches with no access road to bring in additional traffic.
If racing on the street has a rationale you're of the same mind as me. If it isn't the safest location possible, forget it. Sorry to hear about the tracks in your area, I'm certain the impact of streetracing both in fatalities and in a diversion of law enforcement fundage will eventually force the higherups in government to give their heads a shake and allocate more real estate for strips...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by Baddog
If racing on the street has a rationale you're of the same mind as me. If it isn't the safest location possible, forget it.
yes I generally agree but as you seed sometimes you become overcome by the passion

Originally Posted by Baddog
I'm certain the impact of streetracing both in fatalities and in a diversion of law enforcement fundage will eventually force the higherups in government to give their heads a shake and allocate more real estate for strips...
no likely here, land is to valuable and the last 3 attempts all failed
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 AM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

there around 2 hours or 3 for a good one, =/ hopefully I'll make it out there this spring/summer
Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

1 away and it's rated as one of the best tracks for traction in the nation, but it's only 1/8 mi
Old 02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Mock01
2nd Gear Member

Milan is about 45-50 minutes away from me, although I'm entirely guilty of racing on the street as well. I live on a rural road where all the street races happen (Two lanes, no stop lights, virtually no traffic after 9:30-10 at night, no police, easy to set up 2-3 spotters a mile down, etc) so I've ventured out there from time to time, mostly just to watch though.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Just under 3 miles... I still only go maybe twice a year.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Vote people, even if you choose not to comment...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:03 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

WTf are you talking about the 10 people that actually race in S/S voted lol

Quick Reply: How close is your local track?