Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

First time at the track with my 2009 GT, wheel hop question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Question First time at the track with my 2009 GT, wheel hop question

the conditions sucked, pretty hot and humid, plus PBIR (formally Moroso) is not known for being a fast track. that being said my GT is bone stock minus the shifter and has the base wheel/tire package with the 400 treadwear crap tires. best run was a 2.1 60' and 13.95 @ 100.5 mph. using the weather calculator on dragtimes.com it figured the weather was hurting the car about 3 tenths and 3mph. from what I've seen other people do on here that's believable.

anyway I'm not too worried about the time and mph since I'll have a Kenne Bell kit on the way in about a month or two but I was getting a decent amount of wheel hop off the line and was wondering what's the best way to fix the wheel hop. I'm pretty new to solid rear cars and there's so many parts out there a little help to get me in the right direction would be awesome. thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 12:25 AM
SilverGT03
3rd Gear Member

Great times especially for the heat. However since they redid "moroso" or now know as PBIR it is actually one of the faster tracks around
Old 06-18-2009, 08:48 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverGT03
Great times especially for the heat. However since they redid "moroso" or now know as PBIR it is actually one of the faster tracks around
it's pretty much the only full 1/4 mile track in south florida so good or bad that's where I have to go. I think the next closest 1/4 mile track is up in orlando and I've heard guys running faster there than PBIR. when it first reopened I heard PBIR was really hooking and guys were running faster than before when it was moroso, but now I've heard those same guys complaining about the track so I don't know.

it doesn't bother me that much, I contribute my times to the heat, wheel hop, and me being a newb with this car at the track just getting rid of the wheel hop would make it easier for me to be more consistent off the line and down the track.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Lower control arms are generally the first upgrade to the suspension to help with wheel hop.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanSpeed
Lower control arms are generally the first upgrade to the suspension to help with wheel hop.

I second this post. LCAs cut out 90% of my wheel hop problem. They may not be enough once I get some DRs and start launching above 2500 RPMs, but they are definitely doing their job so far.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Any particular brand of LCA's to look at?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
BMR makes a fantastic product.

This should help also.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 AM
badloser
2nd Gear Member

I ran 13.6@101 in my bone stock 06 GT at PBIR ..Dont blame the track for your lack of skills. I just ran a 1.39 60' there 2 weeks ago track hooks hard for me. Try rolling off the line with less throttle
Old 06-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
They are all about the same imo. I went with the cheapest ones I could find off of American Muscle. All you're really doing is getting rid of the soft rubber bushings. The extra strength of the aftermarket arm helps too, but the bushings make most of the difference. If you are lowered, or planning on lowering, you may want to look at some adjustable arms, or relocating brackets.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I have the BMR adjustable LCAs, my first set of bushings went bad after a couple of days. They sent me out some new bushings. I've heard alot of people complain of their bushings failing in the BMR LCAs.

New bushings seem fine for over a year. Just an FYI

Quick Reply: First time at the track with my 2009 GT, wheel hop question