Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Civic's... got to love some of em...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default Civic's... got to love some of em...

I am sitting at the light this morning in the middle lane, coming back from a early morning shift. I have a habit of looking in my rear view mirror to see what's coming and I see a lowered silver civic with a silver sunband across the top of the front windshield. He was in the right lane. He stayed back, his hood around my door so I had no contact with the driver at all.

I set off like I usually do, with a sense of urgency, yet shifting into 2nd gear at around 2-2,5k rpm. It's all about the MPG's right? Then I hear the civic gun it. My right foot went to the firewall staying in second, and I stop his pull, and he can't overtake. But he's not falling back either. It almost sounded like a V8, but thinking back it had to be my exhaust note reflecting off his car. Going into third I am starting to pull away a little. We both let off, and he rolled down his window shaking his finger at me. I was smiling from the moment he pulled up, but it was one of those "I am impressed, and had some good fun" smiles. I then proceed to ask him what he had in it. He said nothing, and then had to turn. The only thing I could see was a nice round tailpipe that actually looked like a performance part rather than the typical ricecan. That car was set up nice by his owner.

Now I wasn't in the best of situations gearing wise, AC was on full tilt and everything. I really wonder what he had in there though. There is no way a stock civic can hang with a mustang, even if you get the jump.

I am just glad he didn't roll right past me after I gunned it...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:51 AM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

nice race, you have to respect a anyone who makes there cars fast

At my local track there is a guy with a mid 90's civic that looks bone stock (other than the intercooler and the drag radials) and runs low 12's to mid 11's which is very impressive up here at 3800 ft of elevation
Old 07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

are you sure it wasn't a civic SI? those things aren't too slow.. if you are stock and with some disadvantages and if he is slightly modded.. maybe he could keep up.. my friend just got one.. raced him 1 roll race and 2 stop light races.. i beat him pretty soundly but i didn't rape him.. ofcourse they were short races.. if they had gone up to 100 im sure it would have been bus lengths
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

I am bone stock, but this wasn't a newer SI. It was the model from 1996-2000 (sixth generation according to Wikipedia), and it was a hatch to boot. I don't even think there are SI's from those model years in a hatchback. But I know jack squat when it comes to the Honda model line, so I could be wrong.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

It was probably turbo'd to keep up that well. A small turbo does wonders. I have a soft spot for Civics cause I hang out at Atco alot and there is a few guys with 10 second Civics that look very close to stock. Always cool to watch em run with the big boys backfiring nitrous on every shift.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:12 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Doesn't the AC compressor shut off at WOT? If so... I don't think it matters if you leave it on or not.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Red Turbo Integra
4th Gear Member

Could have had a K swap. I would think (could be wrong) a K swapped civic would be able to hang with you if you were stock.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

There is always the engine swap like RTI suggests. There is no way a stock d16, b16, or b18 civic should even be close to your car even with the A/C on.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I had a bolt on 200x model hatchback SI hang with me pretty good on the open highway... I was in my mach. We were running from 60-110mph, nothing formal really. He didn't get too terribly close to me, but he sure as hell wasn't getting raped either. I'd say there was 3-5 cars between us. Sounds like you weren't in your powerband OP, but he was. As far as his mods go, who knows. He could of had anything. Good run!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

definately seen some quick ones. watched one trap 152mph in 5000DA here a couple weeks ago.

same night a supra trapped 173 lol

Quick Reply: Civic's... got to love some of em...