Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

New Camaros are slow...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:17 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT
I don't really like the new Camaro, but I'm also not so biased as that I degrade a car solely because I happen to dislike it.

For right around *sometimes under* 30K dollars, you can have a high 12 second (for now, until more passes get made) with a full factory warranty.

That's just as, if not quicker, than the record stock LS1 passes. The motor has MORE capabilities as far as performance once modding begins. Look at LS3 numbers in Corvettes, that's scary ss****.

However, I suppose if you're surprised that a blown 2v GT with a set of DR's and a stall beat a stock '10 SS, then you're not likely to understand that logic above either.
oh i understand your logic but after beating him i started looking at average times of people driving them and it hasn't been in the 12's at all. Everyone is going off of the best driver time and as many times as i've been to the track people are not going to run the best driver time. Your average driver is exactly that, the average driver and 13.25-13.5 are more like the average times i've been seeing for the SS on the net which is consistent with the way the guy ran. That's about what the 02 SS is rated at and even the new 315 hp Mustang is rated at. More times than not i've seen people run at least a 1/2 second slower than the time everyone always says cars are rated to run. I'm guessing my car runs in the upper 12's now but don't you think there are drivers that can probably run low 12's with my car (i'm no expert).

Originally Posted by tspence45
A blown 2v beats a stock '10 Camaro SS, and that means the SS is slow? I honestly don't think they're slow. A local guy set the bone stock record not long ago, at my local track. He hit 12.87 in ~1000' DA. Give it some more time, when we get down to around 0' DA, and even in the negatives, and it should run mid 12's. For a bone stock car, in its price range, that's hauling ***. Should make quick work of an LS1. With equal drivers, I'd say the new Camaro has a definate edge on the older LS1's, which it should anyways. No use in making a newer model slower than the last.
and your talking about a record breaker but do you think average joe shmoe will run a 12.87? Car Domain got an average of 13.6 on the 1/4 which is pretty slow. I've seen mach I's run faster stock. Look I agree with you but blown or not blown it still surprised me considering the power rating and I think your missing my point. if i pulled up in any random car boasting say 450 hp and your car has hp significantly less than that then that and takes it by a 1/4 to 1/2 a sec, it is surprising to me. I mean maybe I don't understand SC's but isn't 330 rwhp the same whether it's FI or not? why should it matter that it's blown?

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
A car that runs 12's bone stock and traps over 110 is over hyped? Wonder how fast it would be if you throw 10 grand in mods on it like your car has?
lol, how many people will put that kind of money into buying a car for over 30k? people always say well if the z06 mods his engine it'll kill it but racing is about money and if you just spent 30, 40, or 50k on a car trust me, the average guy is not about to put another 10k into it. You can probably count on one hand how many supercharged new corvettes you've seen on the street. And not the track because a lot of those modded cars aren't even street legal. I rarely see late model vettes/camaros/trans ams highly modded because they cost so much to buy. The 02 WS6's are still going for 20k in good shape and how many of those are actually manuals? Do an ebay search for these magical rare cars and that will tell you the chance of running into a manual supercharged late model chevy. LOL, what a hypothetical thinker... WHAT IF? What if I bought a supercharged Ferrari F50?LOL...

Last edited by Stkjock; 10-05-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: none use of multi quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
MarkNieb
1st Gear Member

This is one race I have been looking for since the release of the new Camaro. I think it would be a really good match up for me. I would have to agree though, with the power they make, I would expect alot more from it. I mean, they have nearly a 100 more HP then the LS1 cars and yet run comparable times?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:02 AM
guitarist4life
2nd Gear Member

With F/I your power band changes from your original NA set up and tune. Im sure you have a bit more low end, but quite a bit more high end now that you are FI. 330hp NA and 330hp blown are different in the sense that you have a different power band. Power kicks in at a different RPM then an NA car.

Example. Paired against a 400hp NA maro, my 400hp boosted 240sx lagged behind in 1st and second gear. But 3rd through 5th i was consistently pulling further and further away. My power kicked in later this his. He has a ton of torque where as I had a poop load of high end power

And FYI, there is a multi quote button you could use rather then double or even triple posting :P
Old 10-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

A new SS was at the track this past weekend and was running low 13s @ 107 in great air (DA 300 feet). I have no doubt that I would have taken him when I was NA. Those stupid 20" wheels are a real performance killer.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarist4life
With F/I your power band changes from your original NA set up and tune. Im sure you have a bit more low end, but quite a bit more high end now that you are FI. 330hp NA and 330hp blown are different in the sense that you have a different power band. Power kicks in at a different RPM then an NA car.

Example. Paired against a 400hp NA maro, my 400hp boosted 240sx lagged behind in 1st and second gear. But 3rd through 5th i was consistently pulling further and further away. My power kicked in later this his. He has a ton of torque where as I had a poop load of high end power

And FYI, there is a multi quote button you could use rather then double or even triple posting :P
wow, thanks lot of good info there that i never knew (even the last tid bit).
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

This thread is hilarious...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM
00_buck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
A new SS was at the track this past weekend and was running low 13s @ 107 in great air (DA 300 feet). I have no doubt that I would have taken him when I was NA. Those stupid 20" wheels are a real performance killer.
rims do take away but not that much. I was at the track one time and saw a cutlass supreme on 26's and he ran 8.8 on the 1/8th which i'm sure would be 13's on the 1/4. I also have a 98 cadillac concours (deville) with 20's and it didn't lose much performance from the stock tires (i'm using pirelli p-zeros now). But I feel you on the performance loss though personally i'd sacrifice speed for luxury or premiums, people tell me i'd run faster times if I took my speaker box out my car but I like loud music so...

Originally Posted by MrRogers
This thread is hilarious...
nice z06, still saving for mine. wanted an 02 but when i saved enough for it I figured why not save enough for an 06. Waiting patiently but I have to buy it cash since I'm 23 and insurance is too high for full coverage on a Z06.

Last edited by Stkjock; 10-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I guess the point is: if you think a potential mid to high 12 second car that can be purchased brand new for under 30,000 dollars, and modded to hell and back with simple LSX mods to make ridiculous numbers is overrated, then there's nothing we can do to change your mind.

Most people however recognize the potential of the car whether they like it or not, and that's the position most of the people in this thread are in.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

72, have you seriously seen some SS models for under $30k. They're still raping people around ($37k or more for an SS, V6 for low $30s).
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I'd rather have an LS2 GTO. I love those damn cars.

Quick Reply: New Camaros are slow...