Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

what rpm should I launch at ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:32 AM
tony

Default what rpm should I launch at ?

I have been playing with this since I bought the stang . I am taking the trac off and launching at 2000 -- 3000 rpms but slipping to the side almost like fish tailing . I run a 14.3 @ 100.1 mph with a 1.00 reaction time , but I know If I get a .525 time I could run a 13.9 or 14.0 flat. Could yall help out a newbie to the mustang sceen ? I used to race I 4's and v6's .. the help would be great ..
Old 11-18-2003, 02:24 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Your confused, your reaction time does not affect your ET. In a heads up or bracket racing it can decide who wins or loses.</P>

You should be concerned about your 60 foot time rather. If you want to start launching higher than 2,000 rpms, you should REALLY heat the living crap out of your stock tires, or pick up some radials/slick and have at it.</P>
Old 11-18-2003, 03:24 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

will first sleeping at the light you'll never win a race. 2nd you need drag radials simple as that with out them a 1500 launch is it
Old 11-18-2003, 03:33 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

yea those RPM's are high for stock tires. hence the fishtailing. also i notice that even launching at idle if i floor it off the line i spin badly, prob cuz of my 3.73's. if you still spin no matter what rpm you launch at, you might be flooring it to soon. but i would say take Vfast's advice, try 1500, and adjust accordingly. come back to us with results, and get some more input/suggestions.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:15 PM
tony

thanks for the help I will post when I run this wed or fri or sat
Old 11-19-2003, 01:38 AM
CrazyHorse234

i would try launchin it at idle. Another thing i have heard is that your not supposed to heat up street tires because they "glaze over" and when ever i comes time to launch the part of the tire that glazes over will burn right off and youll spin forever in first. I use to heat mine up until i heard this and it made a big difference in how i hooked up.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Quik
6th Gear Member

what you could do on street tires is slipping the clutch it should hold it if you clutch is a strong one. i did this on my buddys 92 stang and i left at around 3g but, it sure does take some life off the clutch. he likes to pedal out his car. i let the clutch slip alittle. this is a hard thing to master you either toast the clutch totally or break them lose. this is something that needs practice to perfect
Old 11-19-2003, 01:00 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

crazy ..you want to do just a smaal burn out on street tires mostly to get the water off that you put on going thur the water box...remember tires are made with oil and over heating a street tire just makes them greasy. this is why drag radials are a must at the strip
Old 11-19-2003, 01:02 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

another thing is too pull off wt in the front like the battery and put in over the right rear tire and put a air bag it the left rear to pre load the supension
Old 11-20-2003, 12:47 AM
tony

thanks for the help , but what about the trac lock button should I leave it on or turn it off ?

Quick Reply: what rpm should I launch at ?